• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Turned data off, but data still being used

dlister70

Lurker
Jan 22, 2015
I switched to Ting and am trying to stay under the 100mb bracket this month.

Even with the data toggled off, I show some days where I used 0.001mb of data. I'm only at like 50mb this month, so it's not going to push me over or anything, but I wondered why any data is being used at all.

Next month I was going to try to use no data and just wifi so that I would have no data charges at all (and bring my phone bill down to $14!) but I'm concerned that even this tiny usage will move me above zero megs and charge me for the lowest tier of data usage.

Is there some other setting besides the data toggle switch that I could do to turn off data on my phone? I can also turn data off on the Ting website, but I would like to be able to toggle it back on if I didn't have wifi and I needed data for some reason.

I switched to Ting and am trying to stay under the 100mb bracket this month.

Even with the data toggled off, I show some days where I used 0.001mb of data. I'm only at like 50mb this month, so it's not going to push me over or anything, but I wondered why any data is being used at all.

Next month I was going to try to use no data and just wifi so that I would have no data charges at all (and bring my phone bill down to $14!) but I'm concerned that even this tiny usage will move me above zero megs and charge me for the lowest tier of data usage.

Is there some other setting besides the data toggle switch that I could do to turn off data on my phone? I can also turn data off on the Ting website, but I would like to be able to toggle it back on if I didn't have wifi and I needed data for some reason.
Airplane mode should do it, and then just turn on WiFi while in airplane mode when you need data

Upvote 0
Airplane mode should do it, and then just turn on WiFi while in airplane mode when you need data

Well, you are probably right that airplane mode would stop the data.. But I also would like to be able to make and receive phone calls. :)

I went into the settings under data and selected limit my data usage, but although I could set the warning down to 0 megs I couldn't set the limit lower than 1 meg.

Upvote 0
Ting will give you 1MB free every month to accommodate tiny usage like you're having. So if you end the month with 0.65MB your account will show the $3 charge, but when your bill is processed that charge is removed :)

You can also completely turn data off on their website, login and go to Device Settings, click your phone, and turn off Can Access The Internet (you can still use WiFi). EDIT: just noticed your last sentence in OP :oops:

Upvote 0
Ting will give you 1MB free every month to accommodate tiny usage like you're having. So if you end the month with 0.65MB your account will show the $3 charge, but when your bill is processed that charge is removed :)

You can also completely turn data off on their website, login and go to Device Settings, click your phone, and turn off Can Access The Internet (you can still use WiFi). EDIT: just noticed your last sentence in OP :oops:

Thank you, that is good to know!

My first Ting bill was $17 ($20.20 after taxes), and this month I'm going to see if I can take it lower than that by using only wifi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones