• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turned off live wallpaper and battery lasts twice as long

camphill

Jul 9, 2010
Turned off live wallpaper and battery lasts twice as long...period. I still have Beautiful Home Weather but the live background is now off and I can get through two days on one charge.

I know this is not rocket science but question yourself if you need a live wallpaper or better, much better, battery life.

Turned off live wallpaper and battery lasts twice as long...period. I still have Beautiful Home Weather but the live background is now off and I can get through two days on one charge.

I know this is not rocket science but question yourself if you need a live wallpaper or better, much better, battery life.

been there done that lol, I love live wallpapers but its not worth the battery lose!

Upvote 0
depends on the live wallpaper. i use a live wallpaper not yet on the market and it uses less than .25% of the battery and causes no noticable lag at all. i have used several others that eat a considerable amount (mario for one), that one ate something like 5+%. it all depends on what the wallpaper is doing (mario is doing alot behind the animations) and how well the wallpaper is coded, for example that it handles the visable and pause events correctly so that it doesn't run when not visable.

for example if the live wallpaper is using gps, or a host of other things including data etc... it will be more intensive and beat up the battery, like wise if it is running at a high frames per second takes more from the phone. like everything it isn't "live wallpapers" it is how well it is coded and how much it is doing. Think of live wallpapers as an app or technically it is a service that is running. for example i know if i run google maps navigation it is going to eat 10% of the battery every hour i run it, now that is a battery hoggin app. not every app uses that much battery, live wallpapers are the same, some sip the battery others chug it like a frat-boy at a kegger

Upvote 0
another quick example, live wallpapers that use animation won't use more than 1% of the battery, live wallpapers that use open-GL for draws, vector calcuations and animations will easily get up around the 5% if not highly optimized. so again it is all how the live wallpaper is coded.
I am doing some side work for a company working on some live wallpapers so i have gotten a crash coarse in them, and testing some of them i noticed alot of these kinds of things immediatly. they have decided nothing goes out that uses more than 2% of the battery. Also alot of the live wallpapers out there just can't seem to get over the idea it is live wallpaper, yea you can do almost anything apps can do but when you get up into that area of functionality you don't want it running all the time. it is kinda hard to reign yourself in though when google gives you all those options.

Upvote 0
I don't know, I am using that galaxy live wallpaper and my battery life has been great so far. I also replaced the lock screen recently and that seems to have made it even better. Granted I don't have any hard evidence to back this up but I haven't yet seen the battery drain quickly. I had my phone completely charged and off the charger at 10 am this morning and as of 5 minutes ago it was at 80%.

Upvote 0
Do people seriously not understand how much of a resource hog Live Wallpapers are?

I mean I find out new things constantly with my X, but I figured this was pretty obvious...

I knew it would use up some resources but not so much. I've since abandoned the Disco-theme live wallpaper which utilized sound (played ABBA at full-volume) and the flash (for cool, strobe-effect) and my battery life has improved dramatically.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones