• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help turning 4g on makes evo very laggy. please help.

Hi everyone,

Hope you are having a good weekend. Posting from my evo using 3g. Im using 3g because enabling 4g makes my phone very slow and unusable. The only way i can get it to work again is to restart my phone.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Thanks

Can you install a CPU usage app and tell me what your CPU usage is while it's laggy?

I suggest SeePU or Android System Info. I have an issue where my phone gets laggy during use, and I decided to install a CPU usage monitor. Sure enough, something is causing my CPU usage to jump to 100%, and it stays there no matter what I do (except a reboot).

4G could be involved in my issue as well. I can't rule this out yet as I am not sure if I was in 4G each time it happened.

Here's my thread about the problems I am having:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/203542-100-cpu-usage-but-doesnt-add-up.html

Upvote 0
OK, I am almost certain that 4G is causing my 100% CPU issue.

Today, I was using the Break app with 3G but that was too slow for me, so I went and turned on 4G.

In the 30 seconds it takes for 4G to turn on completely, I received a call and began talking. During the call, I noticed my CPU usage at 100% again. After the call ended, it didn't drop at all. I had to reboot.

I think I have the same issue as you...and I will update my thread with the content of this thread.

I am going to factory reset this weekend, and if that doesn't fix it, I am sending it in to get repaired under the TEP.

Upvote 0
i.have.droid many users have experienced the lag even when turning it on that way. I have been a believer that the widget plays apart...others feel it is not true.

So I pay an extra $10 a month for a service that makes my handset work worse? That doesn't make any sense.

The subject of the fee has been beat to death. It isn't a 4g fee. It is a premium data fee based off the average user with these phones would use more data than other phone users. There were no secrets when buying the phone...it's pretty clear cut and dry that by choosing the phone you will incur the additional $10/ month fee

also for those of you that have not seen this thread check it out. I don't know that it will help with the lag...but it sure helps with the lag associated with connecting to 4g

[GUIDE - YMMV] Connect to 4G sooner & stay on longer - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I just replied in a topic right on this first page about the same subject but I hope this will clear everything up so people stop making 20 topics on the same subject.

I'm 99.9% sure it is the stock HTC 4G toggle widget. I used to get the horrible lag when 4G was on and even after I turned it off, would have to reboot the phone to fix it. Then I stopped using the toggle widget to turn it on, instead doing it through wireless settings. Ever since then, I have not once experienced the horrific lag. Phone performance is no difference with 4G on or off, other than pages loading faster of course. Using the toggle widget to turn it off does not seem to cause any problems, hasn't for me at least.

Reactions: damink23
Upvote 0
It's a forum about phones. Most people do not live here so you are going to see multiple topics on commin issues sometimes. That is just how it goes.

But I agree 100%, it is the widget...how? I have no idea..it makes zero sense. But it has been 24 hours of 4G for me activated through the settings menu with zero slowdown or issues. I am glad I can use the phone how it was intended.

Now if they could only make better batteries!!!

Upvote 0
It's a forum about phones. Most people do not live here so you are going to see multiple topics on commin issues sometimes. That is just how it goes.

But I agree 100%, it is the widget...how? I have no idea..it makes zero sense. But it has been 24 hours of 4G for me activated through the settings menu with zero slowdown or issues. I am glad I can use the phone how it was intended.

Now if they could only make better batteries!!!

Turn the 4G off and on again about 20 times and tell me it doesn't happen again through settings instead of the widget. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones