• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turning Arkon Slim Grip Ultra into portable battery holder for multimedia use!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
After my latest experiment with Arkon Slim Grip Ultra mount used with portable audio DAC/amp (in my E18 review), I just thought of another great idea for this setup. For those who are not familiar with that mount, I have reviewed it before in here: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-note-2/694925-arkon-slim-grip-ultra-mount-car-home.html

What unique about that mount is ability to hold any phone up to Note 3 size or any small tablet up to 7"/8" size like Nexus 7 or iPad Mini. But the most important thing is how mounting arm can be detached completely leaving a flat back surface. That is a key for multi functional use of this Arkon mount. Just from my personal experience, lately I have been watching/streaming a lot of movies on my Note 2. Sometime play games as well. One big problem - it drains battery a lot faster in comparison to a normal use. That's expected. One solution is to keep external battery handy. Although there are a lot of slim rectangular external batteries out there, it's not comfortable to hold your phone and a battery together.

What I came up with is a very simple solution. Once Slim Grip Ultra is detached from the mounting arm, you just piggy back battery with two rubber bands and you are done!!! In my example below I was using Anker batteries and FiiO rubber bands which I had handy from my E18 review. I think in this case a picture is worth a thousand words. So take a look at the setup below, which btw can also be used as a kickstand when you place your phone on a flat surface.

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-01_zps0a87a7cc.jpg

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-02_zps982c5648.jpg

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-03_zpsf332d504.jpg

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-04_zps6917490e.jpg

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-05_zps19f710fc.jpg

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-06_zps8fc06689.jpg

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-07_zps2be02d81.jpg

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-08_zps9148cae7.jpg

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-09_zpsca3cc07e.jpg

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-10_zpsc2d7a205.jpg

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-11_zpsa9938ee4.jpg

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-12_zpsfd3498bb.jpg

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-13_zpseba6a0ed.jpg

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-14_zps2b9ca001.jpg

slim_grip_ultra_ext_batt-15_zpsfb8a3eec.jpg

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones