• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help turning off 3g

Agree with Frank, thats what I use too. I also use Juice Defender which also switches off your 3g/wifi etc automatically when phone screen is off (ie phone not in use) it leaves your 2g on so that you get your calls and texts etc. Helped with my battery usage altho not everyone is convinced by this.

Upvote 0
Download "Network" app from the store. It's free. This is the only way I know to change to GSM only and still get EDGE data with Rogers version.

I tried this and while it worked fine, I decided that I preferred my previous way of just turning on MMS and 3G when I needed. HOWEVER, now that I've uninstalled Network, I no longer am able to access my data connection even after I change the settings under Mobile Networks. I am currently recharging my battery so I can do a Repair using PC Companion. *sigh*

NOTE: The developer of the app makes a disclaimer saying that some users have reported this to happen to their phones.

EDIT: Once I got my phone charged up passed 50%, I plugged it in to the computer to use PC Companion to repair the phone. I decided to check my data connection one last time before I repaired just in case I would have to reinstall my apps and lo and behold, it worked. So maybe there is some sort of timeout period or whatever after uninstalling that app? Anyway, my 3G/MMS is working again.

Upvote 0
I tried this and while it worked fine, I decided that I preferred my previous way of just turning on MMS and 3G when I needed. HOWEVER, now that I've uninstalled Network, I no longer am able to access my data connection even after I change the settings under Mobile Networks. I am currently recharging my battery so I can do a Repair using PC Companion. *sigh*

NOTE: The developer of the app makes a disclaimer saying that some users have reported this to happen to their phones.

EDIT: Once I got my phone charged up passed 50%, I plugged it in to the computer to use PC Companion to repair the phone. I decided to check my data connection one last time before I repaired just in case I would have to reinstall my apps and lo and behold, it worked. So maybe there is some sort of timeout period or whatever after uninstalling that app? Anyway, my 3G/MMS is working again.

I had a similar experiance with an APN switch app, the data was turned off and I uninstalled the app :eek:

Took me a while to figure that one out when I done it :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones