turning off 3g...

1. karlcoot

karlcoot Active Member

...and leaving 2g on. How can one do it? AFAIK you need to go into settings, mobile networks, but where is an option to switch to 2g only?

I just don't see it.

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Change from gsm/wcdma auto to gsm only or just use the mobile data on off widget
    karlcoot likes this.
  3. karlcoot

karlcoot Active Member

Thanks mate, coming from a Blackberry background, gsm always referred to no data so I just overlooked it.

I do use the mobile data widget but I wanted 3g off whilst using data. Thanks again.
  4. SUroot

I come from a bberry too. This does the same
  5. mamps52

mamps52 Member

i used to have a jailbroken iphone 3g and it used to let me choose with toggles wether i wanted 3g on and 2g on... it was really good......hope there is something like that for my ht desire??
  6. SUroot

So what do you want to do? Limit speed to EDGE?
  7. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Long press on the home screen --> Add widget --> Find settings on the list and click it --> Select mobile network. Then you have a small box on your home page that allows you to turn 3G on and off with one click.
    sy534534 likes this.
  8. karlcoot

karlcoot Active Member

That method doesn't toggle 3g and 2g though, its just data on or off.
  9. Phenomenological

Data on is 3G. Data off is 2G.
    sy534534 likes this.
  10. karlcoot

karlcoot Active Member

If I turn mobile data (widget) off I have no internet at all. Turn it back on and I do.
  11. Phenomenological

Yes. You only get internet on a 3G connection or better on the desire I believe. 2G remains however allowing you to receive calls and texts.
  12. karlcoot

karlcoot Active Member

Nope, 2G is the GSM option in the mobile networks part of settings. Tested and it works.
  13. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

No internet works on a 2G connection, just slower. I don't have 3G at home and I can successfully browse the internet and update all my feeds/emails/etc.

I too would like to know if there is easy toggle switch to set my phone to 2G only while I'm at home or in another non 3G area. I hoping that will make my battery last longer as it won't be constantly searching for 3G.