• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I know that using 4g will eat up power. I hear people talking about turning off 4G. Is it possible to do that and just use 3G ? I am looking at this phone as its one of the 3 choices replacing the Fascinate and not looking to use 4G. Thanks

Yup, you sure can. Menu > settings > wireless & networks > mobile networks > system selection > CDMA mode

this will shut off 4G

Upvote 0
i sometimes have problems with reconnecting after plane mode but it hasn't acted up in a while.
I personally havent seen a difference between 3G and 4G battery life when my phone isn't in use. I guess it depends on how strong the 4G signal is in your area and how often your phone switches between 4G and 4G

I totally agree here. I live in a 3G area and was recently on vacation in a 4G area. I used my phone a lot more than normal while on vacation b/c we got rained out while out the beach. The 4G signal absolutely had NO affect on my battery life, honestly it lasted longer w/ the 4G signal. Experience it for yourself before shutting off the 4G.

Upvote 0
Hi --

Just thought that I'd pipe in here about this, since I switch between 3G and 4G daily based on my phone usage.

I'm in Manhattan, and according to my phone, I have 4 bars of both 3G and 4G.

With 3G on, I get around 30 hours battery life from the phone (that's mostly on standby; solid 10-12 hours use). Typical usage: Bluetooth on, music playing over BT, light web browsing, email checks every hour.

With 4G on, I get around 20 hours battery life from the phone (again, that's mostly on standby; solid 6-8 hours use). Typical usage: Bluetooth on, music playing over BT, light web browsing, email checks every hour; downloading app updates, maybe some video streaming.

-J

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones