turning off appsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. jdailey1981

jdailey1981 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am new to eris and just wondering if the was a way to turn off apps I never use? I got a task killer but 10 minutes later, I got apps running I never opened killing battery life

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

What are you trying to turn off or shut down?

Most of the apps that you didn't open aren't really using up your memory or killing your battery life. If you are constantly trying to kill these apps, that is what might be killing your battery life.

I would need to know which apps your are trying to stop though to really answer the question.

3. moutaindewdope

moutaindewdope Well-Known Member

you shouldn't need to kill apps to save battery life (check out OTD's sig link), Whats killing ur battery life are apps not playing nice and letting the phone sleep.

I used to have an 8 hr charge problem, there are a few things todo to change this.

turn off Bluetooth and GPS when not using those servces, Beautiful Widgets has a nice set of buttons todo this quickly with one click.

Under settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Network settings > Disable Always on Mobile network. This will give you ur Gmaul syncs and background data transfer, but turn it back off when ur done

Disable Auto backlight, and set a comfortable brightness.

Most Inportantly, disable the stock messaging apps notifications. Then DL Handcent or ChompSMS. There is a bug in the notifications program of Native SMS.

Now Restart the phone, let it boot then shut the phone off for a few minutes. After about 10 minutes goto Settings > About Phone > Status , scroll down to the bottom. There should be two timers, "Uptime" and "Awake Time" with a noticeable difference between the two. If there isn't then U have an installed app ( or the Notifications program of native SMS) eatting ur battery / using CPU time. This is where u should use a task manager to stop suspected apps ( usually non-stock apps installed from the market) and shut the screen off for 10 minutes and recheck the timers.

Doing this I've gone 8 straight hours off the charger and not lost 1% off the batter ( not supposed to used @ work sooo I wasn't using that day!) My typical Awake ( CPU in Use time) is about 10-15%. With light useage, couple of phone calls some texts little web browsing, I can get 60 Hours easy.

Granted this worked for me, but you may not get the same results. A lot of things come into play here like location, signal strength and how much power the phone has to use when contacting towers / using radio communications ( crappier the signal more power is used).

4. mersh21

mersh21 Well-Known Member

The only reason you are getting that much battery life imo is because you are shutting down the mobile network. Why have a smartphone with all the capabilities they have just to shut down the reason you bought a smartphone to begin with?

5. mersh21

mersh21 Well-Known Member

i've done everything you've listed except shut down my mobile network and i get pretty crappy battery life imo after all of that stuff. I've just come to terms with the fact that these phones require alot of juice and whether you use a task killer or not....the standard battery is only gonna last as long as it wants. I get about 10-15 hours on a full charge and that varies on my usage. I'm not on it too much during the day cause i'm at work but i still burn through about 60% of the battery life with minimal usuage and my phone is sleeping properly and evrything. It has improved since i first got the phone but i just believe that with all the things that these phone do they are just gonna eat up standard batteries. I refuse to shut off my mobile network because the whole reason i own a smartphone is for it's full capabilities.