Turning off data when traveling internationallySupport

Last Updated:

1. hoya

hoya Member This Topic's Starter

So I'll be in Mexico for a bit, and would like to have the phone for emergencies and to occasionally text - but I want to avoid data charges.

Will unchecking "data roaming" and "enable always on mobile data" under mobile networks do that? I called and asked Verizon, but the guy I got was completely clueless.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. scvcpa

scvcpa Member

That worked for me when I was in Mexico last month.

hoya likes this.
  3. vzw+google+htc=:)

vzw+google+htc=:) Well-Known Member

Worked for me in the Bahamas last month. The resort had wifi in the lobby so I would turn it on to check stuff, then would turn it off when I was done for peace of mind.

My coworker and her boyfriend went to the Bahamas the week after I did and he didn't turn off his mobile roaming and after they were there for a couple of hours he got a text from verizon saying he has used 100 dollars in that time.

Also, make sure if you are going to use visa or mastercard or debit cards that you notify them that you are going out of the country because they might deny the transaction or not let you use ATM. I see it every year with people. American Express will work without calling.

Have fun!

hoya likes this.
  4. brianweb

brianweb Member

I know that the Skype app here on the US is 3g only on Verizon. However I thought I saw somewhere that if you are out of the country, that the skype mobile app will let you run over wifi. Can anyone confirm this?

5. hoya

hoya Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the help!