1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Turning off 'Droid' soundSupport

1. zamboknee

zamboknee Active Member

I updated my Incredible to Froyo and now when it powers on, it plays the 'Droid' sound.
    I need this to not play the audio. HOw do I do this?

Advertisement
  2. poland626

poland626 Well-Known Member

yours does that?! HOW? Mine doesn't!
  3. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

New 2.2 does this yes...You need to root to remove it.
  4. oman321

oman321 Well-Known Member

No need to root, there is an app (silentboot I believe) which will selince the phone for you before it powers off and then restores the sound after it is turned on. Do a search there was another thread on it, but like I said I believe that is the name of the app.
  5. poland626

poland626 Well-Known Member

NM, just turn your ringer to Silent, not vibrate, not low, SILENT, and that'll keep it off.

I turned my ringer on and it plays the sound now.
  6. zamboknee

zamboknee Active Member

It's not about the ringer 'cause it plays this sound when powering on.
    How do I get to the root and change this? anyone?
  7. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

Guys, if you simply put the phone into silent or vibrate prior to powering down it will not be heard. There is no reason to root the phone.

Just put the vibrate widget on the phone and tap it before you power down.
  8. Clocks

Clocks Well-Known Member

"silent boot" works great from the market.
    jayjay1122 likes this.
  9. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

That too!!! :D
  10. scooz16

scooz16 Well-Known Member

YUP. Confirmed.
    Sharondippity likes this.
  11. zamboknee

zamboknee Active Member

just downloaded 'silent boot'. we'll give that a try.
    Thanks all!
  12. richb82

richb82 Well-Known Member

Lol @ downloading an app to do what you can do yourself before you turn the phone off :rolleyes:
  13. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Dismember VIP Member

Comedy gold :)
  14. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Well, there's some logic to using Silent Boot. It simply runs in the background and will silence your phone on start up every time. You could forget to switch on the vibrate or silent mode before you switch off the phone and end up with the "Droid" sound. With Silent Boot, at least you're sure the boot up noise will be silenced if you forget. I found it useful when I used an EVO for a bit (that 4G animation tune was loud).

Anyway, this doesn't bother me too much, I'm happy with setting vibrate/silent myself too, but I can understand why one may want to use Silent Boot instead for its pretty much "set it and forget it" functionality.
  15. Yaksha

Yaksha Well-Known Member

Some of us have a lousy memory. :D
  16. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

The MP3 file is located here and you can just rename or delete it to silence the phone. This would require root though

/system/customize/resource
    serpentine009 likes this.
  17. FramCire

FramCire Well-Known Member

Sounds like a job for tasker if you cant remember!!!!!

It is funny to me how many apps are created that tasker does....... BEST app ever (just expect to need 10 hours of learning time to learn the app!)
  18. jgemma

jgemma New Member

simply turning your phone on silent does NOT do the trick, that's exactly what i've done for days (put it on SILENT, not vibrate or low) and it still says "DROID" when i turn my phone on at work...this cannot be happening everyday, there has to be a way to turn this off without having to download a stupid app
  19. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Not unless your rooted. If you are I'd suggest you actually read this thread to find out how to delete the mp3 that plays on boot.
  20. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

You have Verizon to thank for this limitation. On 2.1 the animation and sound were in the /data folder accessible by anyone. They moved them to the /system subfolder in 2.2 to further encoirage rooting. Ok, so i freelanced a little on that last bit. :D
  21. plnelson

plnelson Well-Known Member

When I first got my Incredible with Android 2.2 I disabled the annoying "Droid" startup sound by installing Silent Boot. But ever since the OTA update to Android 2.3.4 Silent Boot doesn't work anymore. (yes, I updated to the latest version)

Putting it in Silent mode before shutting down works but then I have to remember to take it OUT of silent mode everytime I boot up. :(

I don't want to root my phone, I just want to get rid of this annoying sound!! :mad: Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
  22. plnelson

But then you have to always remember to take it out of Silent mode after you boot up again.

And BTW, Silent Boot works great for 2.2 but after the OTA upgrade to 2.3.4 Silent Boot doesn't work anymore.
  23. plnelson

I found the answer: 2.3.4 defaults to Fast Boot. If you go into Settings>Applications and un-check Fast Boot, it uses the older slow boot, and this allows Silent Boot to work.
  24. KathyStaly

KathyStaly New Member

How do I set the Smart Action on my phone to silent at work? I have my work address input and I can't seem to get the phone to automatically go from home to work settings.
  25. txrxio

txrxio Well-Known Member

Since I work at the same time every day, I just use Timerific to set my volume to silent at the same time every weekday.