• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Turning off OTA on a rooted droid

Curt941

Android Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2010
My wife's droid is rooted running buggless beast. She's constantly getting prompted to update to 2.2 OTA. One time she hit ok and it restarted the phone and kicked back to a boot screen with the Little Android guy saying that the operation couldn't be completed or something like that and I rebooted the phone with the camera button (that was one of the options).

So, any way to get this recurring message to go away?

That what it was?? Also, try his v0.5 Its got the latest build and i personally preferred it over v0.4

Where can I get the v0.5?

I just put it on the root of her SD as update.zip and load it the way I loaded v0.4 right? (It's been a few months so I don't remember all the technical terms)

Will my wife lose her text messages and all her settings if I do that? Do I need to wipe her droid first, or can I simply load on the new v0.5 rom?

Upvote 0
Where can I get the v0.5?

I just put it on the root of her SD as update.zip and load it the way I loaded v0.4 right? (It's been a few months so I don't remember all the technical terms)

Will my wife lose her text messages and all her settings if I do that? Do I need to wipe her droid first, or can I simply load on the new v0.5 rom?

Exactly. Follow this link Peter Alfonso

Please read the post entirely before starting and you will have no issues.

Since you have BBv0.4, you can load v0.5 right over it. No wipe needed.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Upvote 0
The thread link you posted is referring to the BB STOPOTA.zip that i linked the OP. Its designed for Bugless Beast.

partially true..

see post #14 for the "manual" method - that was my fix to recommend to the OP

but then later Bartl3by turned Pete's FRG01B (StopOTA.zip - what your referring to) method into a patch for the more current FRG22D since his was based on FRG01B.

that is also in that thread and that thread starts by mentioning the original StopOTA.zip by Pete fails to last because it was based on FRG01B and so with Bartl3by making it work with FRG22D - or using the manual method, your set no matter what and do not need a patch if use the manual.

both can work..

either way, I am saying if you dont have BB - and come across this thread - or do have BB - and come across this thread - the manual method should work. which is why I said, either way, with the manual method, your GTG.

Reactions: Jedii
Upvote 0
partially true..

see post #14 for the "manual" method - that was my fix to recommend to the OP

but then later Bartl3by turned Pete's FRG01B (StopOTA.zip - what your referring to) method into a patch for the more current FRG22D since his was based on FRG01B.

that is also in that thread and that thread starts by mentioning the original StopOTA.zip by Pete fails to last because it was based on FRG01B and so with Bartl3by making it work with FRG22D - or using the manual method, your set no matter what and do not need a patch if use the manual.

both can work..

either way, I am saying if you dont have BB - and come across this thread - or do have BB - and come across this thread - the manual method should work. which is why I said, either way, with the manual method, your GTG.

True. Good post. :)

Upvote 0
Since you have BBv0.4, you can load v0.5 right over it. No wipe needed.

FWIW to the OP, if there has ever been anything that Pete consistently seems to say in blogs, his site, his threads, it is wiping data and cache. In that very thread, in red, he even says "You must wipe data and cache".. so in that .5 he is even more empathic about wiping data and cache since .5 works a bit different than .4.

this wipe is one of the things I fear most about changing ROMs and so I have only stuck with Pete's, but then when he posted that so clearly, I kind of shied away ;) as he is so emphatic that it must be done whereas in the past, it was recommended, now it is like "you MUST".. eek

Upvote 0
FWIW to the OP, if there has ever been anything that Pete consistently seems to say in blogs, his site, his threads, it is wiping data and cache. In that very thread, in red, he even says "You must wipe data and cache".. so in that .5 he is even more empathic about wiping data and cache since .5 works a bit different than .4.

this wipe is one of the things I fear most about changing ROMs and so I have only stuck with Pete's, but then we he posted that so clearly, I kind of shied away ;)

Yes. He is right about this ^^ I was talking to Pete as we were discussing this thread. Its my bad. I was thinking i had v.04 prior to v0.5. But i had been beta testing several versions of v0.5, which of course didnt require me to wipe. My mistake.

Upvote 0
This was a complete mistake on my part. I was pre-occupied at work and dealing with a few posts at once. i was distracted and posted quickly without reading everything. My sincere apologies to the OP.

and lock n load. I appreciate your help with this thread. You prevented this from being a flame thread. Thanks :)

Upvote 0
Okay, thanks for the input guys. Before I do this though, do you have a preferred method for saving text messages before I wipe everything? I don't mind reinstalling apps (even thought I noticed he has an auto-restore function built in) but I don't want my wife to lose all her text messages.

Upvote 0
This was a complete mistake on my part. I was pre-occupied at work and dealing with a few posts at once. i was distracted and posted quickly without reading everything. My sincere apologies to the OP.

and lock n load. I appreciate your help with this thread. You prevented this from being a flame thread. Thanks :)

no problem.. having been through some of these before, and seeing the OP was not 100% for sure, I knew we had to be precise here

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones