• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turning on wifi causes massive bandwidth usage

Redclient

Lurker
Aug 27, 2012
Background information:
Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2 on firmware 4.0.4 and rooted.

The problem started a few days ago. I live in a rural area where there is very little bandwidth available, currently when I turn on wifi it stops any other user on the same network from being able to do anything.

I decided to try and find an app that would let me monitor wifi usage per application, google led me to this thread: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/86525-network-monitoring-per-application.html so I installed "My Data Manager". What it shows is an app called "Streaming Media" starting to use all available bandwidth. Googling gives me nothing: "Streaming Media" is just too broad of a term. Under settings > Applications I can't find anything with this name or similar. Task Manager > RAM > Clear RAM, temporarily closes whatever is causing it but it soon starts again.

I've changed my droidwall settings to only allow wifi access to specific apps and it's worked so far, but I'd prefer a more long-term fix. Previously the settings were to allow everything wifi access and allow 3G access to specific apps.

Any help is appreciated.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones