Turning spare DX into music playerSupport

Last Updated:

1. jstein

jstein New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Everyone,

(first time poster so go easy on me!) I acquired a spare Droid X that I would like to dedicate to a music player at the office. My question is this: From what I understand there is 8gb of internal memory and 16gb on the sd card. Do I in fact have 24 gb to work with? I am aware that actual formatted capacity will vary so lets call it 23 conservatively. Does the OS and programs eat into this space or is that a separate entity? My other question is that when I transfer my music over how do I designate whether it goes to internal, external or both? Thanks in advance for the help.

Advertisement
  2. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

I would say you have closer to 20, maybe 22. and if that is a major issue ditch the 16 gb micro sd card and go 32.

When you get done you will have a motorola based iPod touch (complete with wifi capability) Only much better, well marginally better.

but either way, good luck and enjoy.

edit: If you root and delete a lot, you might get more, from day 1 my phone storage only showed about 6.2gb worth, and the sd card at 14.

3. jstein

Thanks for the reply Napalm. I may consider rooting and updating my spare. I'm running Flyx on my other handset and was more than happy to remove excess bloat. Where would everyone suggest I store the music on the internal side? Will it still treat my music collection as "one library" ?

4. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but it seems like an awfully expensive dedicated music player, especially considering the sound hardware is, though decent, hardly top of the line.

To just stick something in one place and leave it there... You don't need anything nearly as expensive as a DX. You could easily sell the DX, pick up a used 32gb iPod Touch, and use the resulting profits to go out to happy hour after work every Friday for 6 months. Or buy a hard drive based player for less money + more storage since a dedicated office player probably doesn't need shock protection.

Just my $0.02.

You'll have to have root access to put files on the internal partition, but I don't believe the system will utilize the internal partition as normal storage (e.g. scan it for music files, allow apps to access it, etc.). So you may be limited to the SD card anyway.

5. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

Yeah I was going to ask why do you have a spare DX. Seems like a bit of a waste.

meanwhile to BV's point. My office player is a Creative Zen 8gb that I bought for like 54 dollars over a year ago. I don't need to keep my entire mp3 collection at the office all the time.

6. swagner53

swagner53 Well-Known Member

Somehow I think this "spare" DX has some issue that will not allow it to be used as phone? Bad ESN? Claimed stolen via insurance and then found maybe? If this is not the case, a DX with a good ESN that is working properly is worth more than most media players out there. I say sell it and get a dedicated media player.

7. jstein

I agree, it is a very expensive music player. If you must know, the phone does not have a bad ESN and was not an insurance claim. I will eventually activate it on the gfs account when she is ready for data. I just figured i'd get some use out of it in the meantime. I will try rooting and then storing media on the internal side. As previously stated, I was afraid the phone wouldn't seek and recognize the music files. Does it matter where it is stored perhaps?

8. bostoniansurvivor

bostoniansurvivor Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken there is no way to use the internal memory for music or anything other than programs and applications. You would be limited to the storage capacity of the sd card.

9. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Yep, the above (and what I said earlier) is correct, the media players won't look to the internal storage for music or movies.

10. jstein

Not the answers I was hoping for. I'll use it with 20 gb for now and perhaps invest in a 32gb card when the prices drop. Thanks everyone for your input.