• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Turning tablet into home information center

M

mvswann

I am new to this type of tech modification. I have wanted to do something like this for some time now. I came across a 22" android touchscreen tablet that was used as a kiosk at a doctors office which has since been rooted. It is ideal size wise for a home notification display. I was looking to have the home page display the family calendar, weather, and other news/info items for general family information. The down side of this unit is that it lacks a camera or battery. I am not to worried about an absence of a battery, but the lack of a camera for the purposes of waking the system/screen when someone triggers a proximity sensor/camera is something that I am trying to work around. I am rather techy in regards to computers, engines, and the like but I am not to familiar with the app/rooting scene. I for the most part, feel that I could get the apps and adjust the settings as needed to produce the desired result, I am just overwhelmed with the options of external camera/sensors and which one would work. The unit has 3 standard usb ports, an older mini-usb port, and a lan line port along with the power port. Not sure if plugging directly into a usb port is going to work or if I should use Bluetooth. I am pretty sure the unit has Bluetooth capability, but at the time of writing this post I have yet to determine this fact. Any insight to which proximity sensor or camera that would help produce the desired result along with any new apps would be much appreciated. The wife was not really on board with this project, but she seems receptive, so I would like to get this going so I don't hear grief about this unfinished project. Another note, I would like a camera that would allow me to use the tablet while video chatting with family. The tablet will be secured on the kitchen wall and not move so I don't foresee any issues with cables and the like getting in the way. The goal is that this will be an atonomos unit as central information hub, but in a few years I plan to create a smart home and use this to be the command center.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones