• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turning the phone off? Battery boosts.

jonnykino

Lurker
Mar 18, 2011
Hey, am just wondering if whether an Android phone needs to be switched off, ever?

Basically, I think of my phone as a computer, and I rarely turn off my computer. For the past 2 or 3 weeks my phone has only been switched off a couple of times. I ususally just use my phone, when the battery get's low, charge it, and repeat this over and over.

So do I need to turn it off more?

Aaaaand, one more thing. I remember from a few years ago being told that batteries retain a memory from their charge, but, with my Android phone, if am going out and there's about 30% battery, I give it a boost to either maybe around 70%+. Am I supposed to be letting it drain till I get the "charge your phone" message, before I attempt to charge it?

Common consensus is that your android battery doesn't have the same "memory" as your old battery, and that it's actually better to NOT let your phone get low in charge-- so in effect, you should be recharging it as frequently as possible. (do a search on the forums for more in-depth discussion on it, as well as some differing opinions if you're interested).

As for turning your phone off, in theory it's unnecessary but in my opinion, you let your phone run too long and things just kind of start to get kooky... so it wouldn't hurt to restart it every few days or so, just for a fresh start.

Upvote 0
Common consensus is that your android battery doesn't have the same "memory" as your old battery, and that it's actually better to NOT let your phone get low in charge-- so in effect, you should be recharging it as frequently as possible. (do a search on the forums for more in-depth discussion on it, as well as some differing opinions if you're interested).

As for turning your phone off, in theory it's unnecessary but in my opinion, you let your phone run too long and things just kind of start to get kooky... so it wouldn't hurt to restart it every few days or so, just for a fresh start.

Agreed. When ever I update something on the phone (system updates or updates to an app, etc.). I usually turn the phone on and off just to "refresh" everything.

Upvote 0
I never turn off my phone.

And I don't agree with the assessment that the phone goes wonky after extended use. Sure, that CAN happen, but it isn't guaranteed. I see no performance degradation from leaving the phone on all the time.

Li-ion battery tech does not have memory problems. But you CAN kill the longevity of your battery by letting it get too hot. Keep it under 40C and you should be fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones