• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mods [TUT]How to disable shutter sound in stock camera app [Root only]

Prereqisites: rooted phone and file manager with root privileges ( Root explorer or similar)

Screenshot_2013-07-02-17-49-44_zpsca97e6ba.png

Screenshot_2013-07-02-17-51-25_zpsad286925.png

Screenshot_2013-07-02-17-52-02_zps46b35f65.png

Screenshot_2013-07-02-17-49-16_zps7c16b36e.png

If you want to make photos with muted camera, it is nearly impossible to do in proper way. Android settings in Sound have no option to disable stock camera sounds. Even if you enable Silent Mode and select Mute, the shutter sound is still present. The stock camera itself has no mute shutter option.

This is tested on ZTE Blade 3, stock Android 4.0.4. May vary depending on device and system, but basics are always the same.

1.Find where are system media files on your phone - in my case, it is
system/media/audio/ui
2. Backup o folder ui on SD card - just make a copy.
3. Open camera_click.ogg and camera_focus.ogg files in music player to be sure that those files are used by your camera.
4.Download attachment Stock camera sounds.7z and extract it with 7-zip.
5.Go to system/media/audio/ui and mount folder as r/w (tap the Mount R/W button in upper right corner if you are using Root explorer)
6. Copy content of Camera no sounds folder to system/media/audio/ui.

I provided music files which are basically silence. This way we cheat application and there is no need to download or pay for expensive camera apps if their biggest quality is no shutter sound option. If you record video, rename downloaded files and replace the VideoRecord.ogg file in ui folder. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Stock camera sounds.zip
    18.8 KB · Views: 187
Thanks!
But I can confirm that this method doesn't work for the LG G2?

I found the "/system/media/audio/camera_click.ogg" and replaced it, but it didn't work.
Might be something with that the camera lets you chose between four shutter sounds.

However I found the annoying PowerOn.ogg in the same folder =)
Didn't find a setting for turning that off either.

I tried searching files for "shutter" and "camera", but no luck...
Any tips for where to look?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones