• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tutorial: Manual update 3020 prl

It doesn't work for me... it either stays at 0% or it says that the program has stopped working. I did everything twistedriku told us to do. I even reinstalled it 3 times and it still doesn't work. I tried to do it on my laptop but it won't work there either. Both my computers are running Windows 7 ultimate x86.

Upvote 0
Ok, got everything to work (updated prl no problems and such). My question is has anyone done this running Cyanogen 7 (the unofficial port by reppard). The reason I ask is because Im not sure if it should automatically switch to 3g, or if it has to be enabled in Cyanogen (or whatever OS your running). I.E. there is an option in the notifications bar options for a button for switching from 2g to 3g, which is still greyed out, whereas maybe other more factory OSs might not need to be manually switched. Now does this mean with Cyanogen its impossible to enable 3g or for it to automatically be enabled because its not programed in, or will it still work as intended. If anyone running CM7 has gotten 3g coverage I would love to know plz. Thank you

Upvote 0
Ok, got everything to work (updated prl no problems and such). My question is has anyone done this running Cyanogen 7 (the unofficial port by reppard). The reason I ask is because Im not sure if it should automatically switch to 3g, or if it has to be enabled in Cyanogen (or whatever OS your running). I.E. there is an option in the notifications bar options for a button for switching from 2g to 3g, which is still greyed out, whereas maybe other more factory OSs might not need to be manually switched. Now does this mean with Cyanogen its impossible to enable 3g or for it to automatically be enabled because its not programed in, or will it still work as intended. If anyone running CM7 has gotten 3g coverage I would love to know plz. Thank you

There isn't a guarantee you'll get 3g by doing this. I don't think it matters what rom you have. It's about where you live.

Upvote 0
There isn't a guarantee you'll get 3g by doing this. I don't think it matters what rom you have. It's about where you live.

Oh no I know that, but as of right now, I dont have 3g service (I live in Sacramento, CA btw which Im pretty sure someone said they got it here). And I have no idea whether its because of my area, or because somehow 3g is disabled completely on my ROM because say for instance the person who ported CM7 for this phone decided we didnt need it because Metro "doesnt have 3g" or some other reason like that. Just a confirmation of someone else with CM7 getting 3g would be great (and in Sac would be even better). Because if I have to choose between 3g and CM7 Im gonna go with 3g. But I dont want to go and try a bunch of roms just to try and get 3g working when it was where I live the whole time.

Upvote 0
Oh no I know that, but as of right now, I dont have 3g service (I live in Sacramento, CA btw which Im pretty sure someone said they got it here). And I have no idea whether its because of my area, or because somehow 3g is disabled completely on my ROM because say for instance the person who ported CM7 for this phone decided we didnt need it because Metro "doesnt have 3g" or some other reason like that. Just a confirmation of someone else with CM7 getting 3g would be great (and in Sac would be even better). Because if I have to choose between 3g and CM7 Im gonna go with 3g. But I dont want to go and try a bunch of roms just to try and get 3g working when it was where I live the whole time.

You can always do a nandbackup right now then flash a new rom over quickly and see if it changes but I dont think the rom will change anything.

Upvote 0
By doing this tutorial, will it reset my phone back to factory reset (erasing everything I have on it)?

And if I don't do this tutorial, is it a possibility that I'll eventually have 3G regardless?

By doing this tutorial and following my instructions precisely you have no real risk. If you mess up, you can ruin your service but it is fixable at home. As for 3G I will requote my tutorial "I DO NOT GUARANTEE that you will get 3G" that applies to the present and future. (Maybe even past)

Reactions: Optimus_User
Upvote 0
Err . .I installed the program, but I have some issues. . .

Occasionally it'll stop running: "This program has stopped working" message on Win7.
But, when it does work, in the box that shows MY details and numbers, it has another person's number and MEID. o_O What do?

Hmm... try uninstalling then reinstalling it.. I'm starting to wonder if the security on windows 7 blocks it for whatever reason.. though ill need people to post what OS they were using and alot of people wont bother responding after they fix it themselves or it works or something goes wrong.

Upvote 0
Hmm... try uninstalling then reinstalling it.. I'm starting to wonder if the security on windows 7 blocks it for whatever reason.. though ill need people to post what OS they were using and alot of people wont bother responding after they fix it themselves or it works or something goes wrong.

I reinstalled the program, and if it helps, my OS is 2.2.1.

Funny. I got the program running, but it's also stuck at 0% indefinitely, lol. Maybe I'm upgrading the PRL for the other guy! (the one who has the number listed on the LG program)

Upvote 0
I reinstalled the program, and if it helps, my OS is 2.2.1.

Funny. I got the program running, but it's also stuck at 0% indefinitely, lol. Maybe I'm upgrading the PRL for the other guy! (the one who has the number listed on the LG program)
you forgot to register the dll.

in the instructions for getting lgnpst going you need to have admin permision and drag the dll to the reg

Upvote 0
Maybe you're right, but when I drug the dll. over the REGGIE, I got an error. Maybe you could tell me how to get "admin permission?" :p
on win7?
easy way is to go to control panel user accounts
then change user account control setting, slide the slider to the bottom, no notification.
then reboot.

but that is a system wide setting for advanced users that dont need to worry bout messing up the system.

You could try right clicking and open with admin rights. If that doesnt work I do not know how to help. I have full control over my system.

Upvote 0
sounds way too risky

Speaking from experience, if one has a general handle on techy things, and follows the instructions properly for setting up lgnpst and all the things that go with it, and then just uses the PRL tab and not the upgrade tab, it'll work fine. Risk comes into play when instructions are not followed or understood properly.

That said, for someone who just wants a chance at 3G and has never done any of this, this can seem kind of like a big deal.

Upvote 0
Nope, I have my phone rooted as well with a custom rom installed. This process is the same as if you called *228 and updated your roaming list via MetroPCS. It'll only change your PRL and boost your signal or just change your PRL.

Mine went to 3019 :( and that was after I updated my roaming list =\ so I guess I'm not on the 3G network then. And this whole process looks very long and overwhelming

Upvote 0
this is a pretty simple process and i noticed that i couldent get lgnpst to recognize my phone without the .dll that i got from joneidy's 2.2.1 long root method
also i got cdma workshop from the downloads on that thread, since i had it i went ahead and changed my spc and now metro cant access my phone and change my prl :D
also, i made a backup of my stock spc in case i need to reprogram my phone through metro.

Upvote 0
Last week I had 3G randomly on my Optimus. The speeds were exponentially faster (ie Youtube videos played wonderfully without wifi). I updated my roaming list and it put me back at 1x. I've been updating it randomly throughout the week and still can't get the 3G back. The best part was when I was at a friends house who also has an Optimus M and he had 3G and I didn't :-(. I made the mistake of calling Metro about why I wouldn't have 3G and my friend would and they gave me the run around of "3G and 1X are the same thing." The representative had the audacity to tell me that Youtube stopped working as fast without wifi because Youtube is not compatible with my phone.

Upvote 0
Last week I had 3G randomly on my Optimus. The speeds were exponentially faster (ie Youtube videos played wonderfully without wifi). I updated my roaming list and it put me back at 1x. I've been updating it randomly throughout the week and still can't get the 3G back. The best part was when I was at a friends house who also has an Optimus M and he had 3G and I didn't :-(. I made the mistake of calling Metro about why I wouldn't have 3G and my friend would and they gave me the run around of "3G and 1X are the same thing." The representative had the audacity to tell me that Youtube stopped working as fast without wifi because Youtube is not compatible with my phone.
Sounds like your phone automatically updated itself to 3020, the first ones did by the way, then you ran update it put 3019 on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones