• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root TUTORIAL: Setup Wifi Tethering

http://android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com/files/wireless_tether_1_70-pre2_htc.apk
^^ thats the link for the apk that works flawlessly on the 0_3 build of the root eris, in case you wanted it.
Just install like you would any other app.
Tap the screen to start tethering and when it ask for permission just click on always allow and you should be good.
PS: it also asks for permission when you tell it to stop just do the same and click on always allow.
Have fun!

Upvote 0
I used the link provided and the app semed to install fine. After the starting tethering screen, it goes to SU request but is just a black screen. It seems to hang there, but I've had one force close.

Any ideas? Thanks!!!!
Looks like you might have USB debugging off.
Go into your settings-->applications-->Development-->USB debugging and make sure its checked, I was getting that problem before and I was told to make sure the USB debugging was on, and that seemed to do the trick.

Upvote 0
You know, I'm sure a lot of you guys get tired of answering the same questions over and over (trust me, I have kids): I'm always amazed at how truly willing to help the majority of you are.

I am sending this message with my desktop tethered to my newly-very- cool Eris. Thanks again guys.

One more thing, is there any word on overclocking? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't possible but honestly I've read so many forums I can't even remember which site I was on. Thanks!

Upvote 0
You know, I'm sure a lot of you guys get tired of answering the same questions over and over (trust me, I have kids): I'm always amazed at how truly willing to help the majority of you are.

I am sending this message with my desktop tethered to my newly-very- cool Eris. Thanks again guys.

One more thing, is there any word on overclocking? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't possible but honestly I've read so many forums I can't even remember which site I was on. Thanks!

If you find someone that needs help and you know the answer, why not pass it along? Thats the way I look at it.

Overclocking from what I've read on other forums and on IRC can't be done because because the roms don't support it at the moment, but don't quote me on that it could be wrong.
can anyone confirm or refute this?

Upvote 0
The file I have installed is wireless_tether_1_70-pre2_htc. I have enabled/checked usb debugging. And still I get a blank black screen when I attempt to tether...

Any ideas? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

When I press home or back I get Sorry! activity SU request (in application superuser permissions) is not responding. Force close or wait.

Had to mess with some settings.. its connecting to my laptop but not going all the way to the internet. Do I need to assign security or something for it to tether?

After some tinkering I got it... Who woulda thunk I needed to turn on the 3g! =D .... Flame on

(hanging head in shame) btw

Upvote 0
The file I have installed is wireless_tether_1_70-pre2_htc. I have enabled/checked usb debugging. And still I get a blank black screen when I attempt to tether...

When I press home or back I get Sorry! activity SU request (in application superuser permissions) is not responding. Force close or wait.

Had to mess with some settings.. its connecting to my laptop but not going all the way to the internet. Do I need to assign security or something for it to tether?

After some tinkering I got it... Who woulda thunk I needed to turn on the 3g! =D .... Flame on

Lol You learn by trial and error...

Upvote 0
One more question about tethering...My computer finds my tethered phone just fine and runs great, but my wife's Eris wil not find it. If I manually add the name, it says out of range. Any reason the phone would be different? Thanks!

Your laptop, and an iPod Touch can connect to any kind of WiFi network, including an Ad-Hoc network. The one created by the WiFi Tether app is Ad-Hoc (basically meaning you can only connect one computer/ipod/whatever to it).

Most android phones, including the G1, and the Eris, do NOT support Ad-Hoc networks. I had this as a MAJOR disappointment to me when I wanted to have my girlfriend's Eris connect, since she has Cricket (web-only) and I don't have WiFi/internet in the house normally.

So the Eris won't even see it.

Reactions: anderson620
Upvote 0
Your laptop, and an iPod Touch can connect to any kind of WiFi network, including an Ad-Hoc network. The one created by the WiFi Tether app is Ad-Hoc (basically meaning you can only connect one computer/ipod/whatever to it).

Most android phones, including the G1, and the Eris, do NOT support Ad-Hoc networks. I had this as a MAJOR disappointment to me when I wanted to have my girlfriend's Eris connect, since she has Cricket (web-only) and I don't have WiFi/internet in the house normally.

I connected both my laptop and my desktop to it yesterday at the same time and they ran fine from everything i could tell...

Upvote 0
If you're using the Google wifi tether app, you'll know when someone connects. You can kick them off. A notification will happen, and it will pop up and stay in your notification bar.

And its range is pretty good. I had my buddy connecting with his ipod 1 bar down from full reception, about 40 feet away.

Im using the google wifi from your link... Wifi_tether_1_60_htc or whatever and I can't figure how to kick people off without turning off the wifi tether completely. I get the notification that they connected but see no way to disconnect them. Maybe it's in the specific tether app you are using?

Upvote 0
Im using the google wifi from your link... Wifi_tether_1_60_htc or whatever and I can't figure how to kick people off without turning off the wifi tether completely. I get the notification that they connected but see no way to disconnect them. Maybe it's in the specific tether app you are using?

Use the 1.70 one, even though it says 'EXPERIMENTAL'. It works great, and it's pretty easy to kick people off. When they're on, click on their name. You can turn on Access Control, and do what you wish.

Or if you have 1.60 working while Tether is turned on, hit Menu and go through the settings, and look for 'Access Control'. It may be in there too. That will allow you to do what you want as far as restricting access to your wifi.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
Use the 1.70 one, even though it says 'EXPERIMENTAL'. It works great, and it's pretty easy to kick people off. When they're on, click on their name. You can turn on Access Control, and do what you wish.

Or if you have 1.60 working while Tether is turned on, hit Menu and go through the settings, and look for 'Access Control'. It may be in there too. That will allow you to do what you want as far as restricting access to your wifi.

Maybe I just need to play around with it more. I was testing it on my computers yesterday. Jimi set the access control for my laptop, but not for my desktop. When I log on with my desktop a notification pops up showing a device is connected, and it's red to show that it doesn't have access control but Icouldn't figure out how to terminate their connection.

Guess I'll give or another go when I get home.

Upvote 0

Wow...That really is disappointing...

Upvote 0

I'm also getting this error... What do you mean by turning on the 3g? I assume my 3g is always on and there is no setting that I can find to turn it on/off... Help? lol

Upvote 0
I'm also getting this error... What do you mean by turning on the 3g? I assume my 3g is always on and there is no setting that I can find to turn it on/off... Help? lol

Have you tried enabling USB Debugging as suggested earlier in the thread? I know it sounds odd if you aren't connecting to the computer, but I was just having the same issue. Doing this fixed the problem for me on my Nexus One.

Settings-->Applications-->Development-->USB Debugging

Upvote 0
I am new to the droid world. I am having troubles getting tether to work.

Here is what Im running on:

Driod hct eris
model adr6200
firmware 2.1

i followed a youtube video for installing the 2.1. the tether i downloaded and it installed fine. when i opened it, and clicked to run, it says starting tethering then it fails out and says unable to start tethering. please try again.

if i click show log it says unable to show log file.

what am i doing wrong? I made sure my wireless was turned on, i check the debugging thing cuz i guess that can trigger something....so far im not getting anywhere.

Upvote 0
I am having an issue with my rooted Eris. I rooted it as described, straight out of the box, and everything went fine. I then installed the appropriate wifi tether app as described in the How-to's and this is where I encounter my problem. First, no white list box comes up asking for root permissions. The app installs, and when I run it it say that my device does not have root access, thanks for playing. Admittedly this is my first smart phone/root attempt, but this is a straight forward enough process that I don't think I goofed something up. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
we figured this one out a few hours ago... tether looks of ifconfig in teh wrong place... so create a symlink for it...

in adb shell as root:

ln -s /system/xbin/ifconfig /system/bin/ifconfig

then try it out :)

This is the same issue that i'm having on an EVO 3D (rooted) Android 2.3, except I don't understand the instructions, it's all Greek to me. Is there a simple explanation. I am a pretty savvy and catch on quick. But this is new to me.

Any pointers would be fantastic.

Cheers
BB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones