• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [TUTORIAL]Simple Gingerbread .602 SBF and Root Process (Updated 9.9.11)

amandamarieec,

You should be able to just use Psouza4's 1-click app to root your .605 phone.

FYI, Z4root is only good / useful for the Droid X on Froyo/2.2.

Just try Psouza4's 1-click app and that should get you root on either .602 or .605 (without having to SBF back to Froyo, etc.).

Cheers!

I wish I would've known that before I tried using RSD Lite and bricked my phone. :(

Upvote 0
I wish I would've known that before I tried using RSD Lite and bricked my phone. :(

Well, I haven't used RSD Lite before to .SBF my phone, but lots of folks have, and I'm pretty sure that you aren't really bricked, but just need to select the correct .sbf file to flash via RSD Lite.

I'll let the other folks that are more experienced and knowledgeable re. this chime-in...there's still hope...hang-in there :)!

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Do I need to run the root application before I upgrade from .602 to .605? I have upgraded already and it does not seem to recognize that my phone is already connected. It just says "SEARCHING FOR THE PHONE (connect it now if you haven't yet)..."

Edit: Apparently you need the very latest drivers. Mine were slightly old so it just wouldn't work. Upgraded drivers and then BAM! rooted like a cheap hooker.

Upvote 0
After I did the RSD Lite steps the phone powered back on like you said it would and appears to be just like I had left it with the only difference being it's not rooted anymore and the notification bar looks different because I had been running a Froyo rom. Do I need to still go through with clearing the cache and data?

Upvote 0
My goal is to root my G/F's Droid X in order to flash the latest MIUI ROM.

She has a stock DX with the latest OTA updates. (Gingerbread etc)

Which part of these instructions do I need to start with? Is it necessary to SBF to .602 if she's already at .602?

I'm trying to follow the instructions on the Miui.us website which are as follows:

Installation Instructions:
1) Do an SBF to .602, root, get to clockwork recovery.
2) Wipe data.
3) Flash MIUI rom.
----------------------------------------

So furthermore, how do I access CWM once it's rooted?

Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0
If you are already on .602 I've been told that you shouldn't have to SBF... I did just to start with a clean slate. I use Miui, so I SBF'd (optional, but recommended), Rooted using the 1 click root in this guide... installed Droid 2 bootstrapper, bootstrapped and then reboot recovery... then wiped data/cache/dalvik cache... then installed Miui. That was my exact plan of attack...

Reactions: ruggerxpunk
Upvote 0
i'm running 605. I couldn't use the drivers linked, as I am running 32 bit. I tried downloading 32 bit, but got message saying my drivers were newer. When I run RSD, I get a failure message it says my phone disconnected.
Any advice?

OK. I tried SBFing on my desktop instead of my laptop, and it worked. I went into recovery, and wiped. Now I am trying to root. I ran the program, and I get another error message that says the program cannot find the needed file.
Any ideas?

Ok. On a different thread on this site, I found a link to 32bit mororola drivers. I installed them, and the 1click root took. I am now rooted, have deleted the annoying preloaded apps, and looking forward to tweaking my droid x.

Thanks to everyone.

Upvote 0
Ok. On a different thread on this site, I found a link to 32bit mororola drivers. I installed them, and the 1click root took. I am now rooted, have deleted the annoying preloaded apps, and looking forward to tweaking my droid x.

Thanks to everyone.

What link did you find... as I am currently trying to this again and got the same message saying my drivers were newer. Thanks

Upvote 0
I can't get my PC to recognize my phone is connected on both my Windows 7 laptop and desktop (both 64 bit) using this method. What USB mode should the X be in (PC Mode, Charging mode)? I was able to get it to work once while in PC Mode, but I had to sbf again and am currently unable to get the 1 click method to "see" my device.

Edit: NVM, I got it to work by using the D3 script intsead of the one linked in the first post.

Upvote 0
Yes... you have to wipe data/cache through recovery for your phone to boot up correctly... pull the battery, put the battery back in... hold home down, then press and hold Power till the phone boots up... all the while keep holding home down... if it doesn't work you didn't hold down home correctly... once you boot into stock recovery follow my instructions in the OP to wipe data/cache.

Upvote 0
Yes... you have to wipe data/cache through recovery for your phone to boot up correctly... pull the battery, put the battery back in... hold home down, then press and hold Power till the phone boots up... all the while keep holding home down... if it doesn't work you didn't hold down home correctly... once you boot into stock recovery follow my instructions in the OP to wipe data/cache.

it wouldnt let me into recovery, but its all set now

i managed to just boot up into stock, root install bootstrap and do a nandroid restore of what i had before

no wiping was done

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones