• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tutorials, Roms, Team MarvelUSc -- EVERYTHING YOU NEED

How to check the htc wildfire s is virgin CDMA?

One way to find out exactly what your phone is: type *#*#4636#*#* on your phone dialer

It will take you to a testing interface where it tells you, amongst thousand other things, what network you are in (mine says Virgin Mobile, CDMA).
Once you know your network (mobile service carrier) then you need to find rooting instructions for the Wildfire S for that specific carrier

Upvote 0
I have an easy way to root now :) Go ahead and do CWM revovery and flash my rom, be sure to back up.. ROM has built in root :)
Also: glad to hear you got it rooted, hope you enjoy your rooted phone, may want to look into titanium backup ;)
And my new rom also is loaded with features the stock doesnt have. S(uper)S(tock) after all lol. Reccomendations for more?

Upvote 0
Followed rooting instructions to a T, the program says "Killing device and starting rooted phone" and never asks me to test anything. When I try to make the internet faster and download the app in the first step and run it, it says (MSL reader)

"Error couldn't find the superuser binary in any known path. Are you sure you're rooted"

The phone is in S-OFF it says that at the top when I reboot, so why is this program not rooting my phone as the instructions say?

Upvote 0
I will attempt this one more time even though it takes a while and i've done nothing wrong, seems like this is not working as it should. I verified by using a terminal that my prompt is a $ which means it is not rooted even though the program in the instructions claimed the phone was rooted, it clearly is not. If I type SU it says "permission denied"

Upvote 0
Found out what it is, several other people having the same issue so you might want to edit the original post as you cannot use the super one click if this program is running. The HTC uploader MUST be disabled on the computer or it'll look like it rooted the phone but in truth it has done nothing, took me a while to figure that out as I had already wasted a few hours before making my first post. So far everything works, now trying to do that thing to make the internet faster

Upvote 0
Ok i've done the thing to make the internet faster but i'm not sure how to test that, when I was using the QPST it said something about NV_Readonly as an error but it still restarted and took a few seconds before it booted. Not sure how to test for better internet?

One thing also for the instructions that is confusing, you should add in the part where you're selecting the HT Diag drivers that after you click "show list of drivers" that you have to click the all devices option before clicking have disk or it will not work on windows 7

Upvote 0
Also the files aren't attached to the post here like they are in the thread you have for just doing the thing to make the phones signal and internet better, I had to find that thread by searching for the zip file 60681.zip wildfire s which found this thread that has the correct files attached. Also googling the program you use to communicate with the phone will yield several different versions, I used the most recent 6-4-11 revision because I wasn't sure which one to use.

The thread with the zip file and drivers is:

http://androidforums.com/htc-wildfire-s/452496-wfs-prl-hack-better-data-speeds.html

Upvote 0
I think this is an amazing guide as I have done all of this, the only problem I have no is that I find it at least on my wildfire s useless to use the link2sd program. You still can't move applications like google maps, or gmail, or anything like that to the SD card. That means 95% of the installed apps cannot be moved because they are all marked as system files. The only thing I could slightly move was facebook for android, which I was able to create links for, but attempting to move the entire file to the 2nd partition will only result in an invalid install location error.

Is there any way to move these files marked as system files to the SD Card? I like google maps, it's helpful here and there, but it takes up a lot of internal space, is there no way to move it?

Upvote 0
I think this is an amazing guide as I have done all of this, the only problem I have no is that I find it at least on my wildfire s useless to use the link2sd program. You still can't move applications like google maps, or gmail, or anything like that to the SD card. That means 95% of the installed apps cannot be moved because they are all marked as system files. The only thing I could slightly move was facebook for android, which I was able to create links for, but attempting to move the entire file to the 2nd partition will only result in an invalid install location error.

Is there any way to move these files marked as system files to the SD Card? I like google maps, it's helpful here and there, but it takes up a lot of internal space, is there no way to move it?

I read somewhere someone suggested removing the app and then reinstalling it from the market and then link2sd. should work with Google maps too. haven't tried it yet. I am a step behind you with this... :)

I just did my ext2 partition, and haven't done anything more yet

This link is for Optimus V so idk how well it applies here

http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/307617-list-bloatware-lg-optimus-v.html

edit - I uninstalled Maps (after backing up), re-installed it from Market, and moved it to sd card with link2sd. Seems to work

Upvote 0
That error is normal in newer qpst it still worked however. You can use speed test app to test. Also how did you get link2sd ext? I didn't add that yet lol. And the delete and reinstall is right. Next build im koving big nonessential apps to data when you flash :)

Upvote 0
That error is normal in newer qpst it still worked however. You can use speed test app to test. Also how did you get link2sd ext? I didn't add that yet lol. And the delete and reinstall is right. Next build im koving big nonessential apps to data when you flash :)

On my laptop, I reformatted my 8gb SD card to fat32, leaving 1gb space for ext2. then i created the ext2 partition on the remaining 1gb space. So I have now 2 partitions on the card.

then i uninstalled any application that was available for install on Market. rebooted the phone (if u don't reboot, the app breaks at next reboot, and have to be re-installed). After reboot, I installed the apps from Market, did any needed app updates, and then moved the apps to sd card (not linked) using the link2sd app. I couldn't move any widgets though. there is a way to do that i think, but haven't looked into it.

Regarding builds/flash, at this point I have no knowledge, it's totally new to me, so I will hold off maybe to the weekend before attempting any. Need to fig out what rom i want to use
My priorities would be more space in the memory for apps, longer battery life, and faster phone, and maybe faster internet. I don't care about tethering / hot spot at this point.
btw one way to test internet speed could be dialing *#*#4636#*#*, go to phone settings and do ping. Haven't tried it, just a thought.

Upvote 0
New update out, it's saying in my taskbar

"System update is availible"

Is this safe to run? I'm going to try the google maps thing, apparently this does work, what the previous person said. IF you root and use link2sd you can uninstall the apps and then reinstall them and it'll let you at least link them to the SD card. Make sure you use the option "view on marketplace" to make sure you can download the app from the marketplace

Most of the time I try to move apps like google maps it just says "Invalid install location" but I can create the link and that seems to save some space.

I'm still a noob to this I just was able to do it because I know how to follow instructions :)

Upvote 0

Is this safe to run? I'm going to try the google maps thing, apparently this does work, what the previous person said. IF you root and use link2sd you can uninstall the apps and then reinstall them and it'll let you at least link them to the SD card. Make sure you use the option "view on marketplace" to make sure you can download the app from the marketplace

Most of the time I try to move apps like google maps it just says "Invalid install location" but I can create the link and that seems to save some space.

I'm still a noob to this I just was able to do it because I know how to follow instructions :)

Yes safe to update, i added this update to my ROM actually ;)

Upvote 0

Did u create a 2nd partition on your SD card? If you create a 2nd partition on your SD card, you can move the whole app, instead of linking it.

On edit - I just found out I save more internal space linking the apps instead of moving them...

Upvote 0
You said it was ok to install the update, this isn't the "December 5th update" it's more recent, and it bricked my phone. DO NOT install this update from virgin mobile, it says "Security update" if you install it and reboot when it tries to install it will give you the android robot with the triangle exclamation mark, I had to recover my phone. I think i'm returning it to factory specs or throwing it in the trash and buying one that has factory specs, this just isn't for me worrying about ruining my phone every time a system update comes out.

Upvote 0
ok so i do step 1 and format my sd after backin it up then i go to step 3 nd it says cid is already reversed nd then i click get cid and then a box pops up and says" Try the other MMC's and make sure you have htc sync drivers installed " .anyone got any idea please help?
Ive never encountered this error myself. Maybe you should just try again?

Anyways, I got CM7 Booting, no touch screen or who knows what else but its a step :)

Upvote 0
Ive never encountered this error myself. Maybe you should just try again?

Anyways, I got CM7 Booting, no touch screen or who knows what else but its a step :)
Ok i got it all figured out now my phone is rooted but on the Link2Sd part i cannot figure out how to partition my sd card could you post a video or something im new to this im honestly supprised i rooted my phone but i cant figure out how to partition my sd card using the mini partition tool wizard thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones