• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tutorials, Roms, Team MarvelUSc -- EVERYTHING YOU NEED

Sorry about the lack of updates, ive been working on getting ssrom classic perfect. Wifi doesnt work in that build but does in the update im posting soon. Everything works in the update, and the only problem is that i still have more stuff to remove :p im de-operatorizing it lol. So no more VM crapware

Can't wait for this update! Will it still include root?

Upvote 0
Could someone please post/point to/verify instructions to flash ROM? Here's what I think
1. boot into CWM
2. do a backup
3. wipe data/factory reset
4. install zip, point to zip
5. reboot

Am I missing something? What should I see after reboot? So far I am looking a splash screen (HTC quietly brilliant) for 30 min... is this normal?

Update: This can't be right. I am restoring from te backup. What am I doing wrong?

Rich

Upvote 0
Interestingly I tried FAT32 first. It did not recognize the partition. I'd made it a little over 1G. Don't remember cluster size, maybe 1G is where default size goes to 8K. Anyway, then I tried ext2, it recogized it, I buit the mount script, but it would not mount. Then I built 800M FAT32 and it worked fine!

Only I still don't see the point. What can link2sd do that I can't do via 'manage applications'? I can move an app installed from the market to SD there. I have this suspicion that maybe in 2.1 that was not there perhaps and link2sd filled a gap that is no longer there in 2.3 (???) There is a 'link' option in addition to 'move', is that the point? Does it mean DATA for an app installed on the phone will be offloaded to the card?

Rich

link2sd allows user apps to be linked to the SD card. in a nut shell, the apps are on the SD, but are symbolically linked to the system memory. this means that the apps use a fraction of the memory that they would normally, and if they are linked, then they mount alot faster after a power off or reboot. i have almost 60 apps installed on my phone, and everyone that can be linked are. i still have around 50mb free internal memory. widget apps can be linked and still work properly, and apps that cant be moved normally can be linked to save space. link is your best option with that app, it moves the lib, dalvik, and data to the SD, only leaving tiny size links behind in the internal memory.

Upvote 0
link2sd allows user apps to be linked to the SD card. in a nut shell, the apps are on the SD, but are symbolically linked to the system memory. this means that the apps use a fraction of the memory that they would normally, and if they are linked, then they mount alot faster after a power off or reboot. i have almost 60 apps installed on my phone, and everyone that can be linked are. i still have around 50mb free internal memory. widget apps can be linked and still work properly, and apps that cant be moved normally can be linked to save space. link is your best option with that app, it moves the lib, dalvik, and data to the SD, only leaving tiny size links behind in the internal memory.
Ah!!! Thanks, got it.

Rich

Upvote 0
To be specific:
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition

Is there more to wipe?
It's not working. I do a data/factory reset which formats /data, /cache, /sd-ext and/sdcard/.android_secure. I get data wipe complete, then go to install zip from sdcard, choose zip from sdcard, select the zip and it usually gets stuck at opening update package. I need to pull the battery. If I in addition format /system (in the mounts and storage section) it actually installs the update and I see 'install from sdcard complete' but it won't boot - stuck at boot screen. I have not formatted /boot - I remember from a tablet I was working on that that was not a good idea. Is that needed here?

Oops... this is not one of my better days... you *DID* say boot... I will add that and try again

Upvote 0
Oops... this is not one of my better days... you *DID* say boot... I will add that and try again
Unfortunately it is still not working. I did a facory wipe, and separate format of /boot and /system. ROM seems to install OK, but on boot it hangs on a black HTC quietly brilliant screen for at least 15 min at which point I pulled the battery and restored.

Upvote 0
Very strange. I did links for several apps. I don't see any beneficial effect on storage. In fact, after I created links for everything, incl. for e.g. skype, and rebooted, I go into storage, and it tells me I could gain 22M by moving skype to SD card. Also a little surprising that creating the symbolic link is so fast, if it really offloads the app to that 2nd partition. Am I missing something?

Upvote 0
Go into mounts, and wipe everything EXCEPT Sd there. Then, you will install the rom. then reboot. If it hangs again, just do adb logcat and tell me the output. As i have others using this rom ok. Could be a bad download?
Will do. The downloaded zip is 148 MB (155,745,348 bytes), I would not expect it to unzip and run if it were a bad download. I'll get back in a while

Upvote 0
Go into mounts, and wipe everything EXCEPT Sd there. Then, you will install the rom. then reboot. If it hangs again, just do adb logcat and tell me the output. As i have others using this rom ok. Could be a bad download?
- Booted to CWM 5.0.2.7
- wipe data/factory reset (--> data wipe complete) (formatted /data, /cache, /sd-ext, /sdcard/.android_secure)
- mounts and storage
- format boot (--> done)
- format system (--> done)

There is nothing else to format except /sdcard and I don't do that

back to install zip: finding update package, opening update package --> hang!

Pull battery. Reboot. Install zip. This time I get finding updat epackage, opening update package, installing update, install from sdcard complete

Go back, reboot now
Gets to black htc quietly brilliant screen and stops.

How can an adb command work if the device is not booted? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Very strange. I did links for several apps. I don't see any beneficial effect on storage. In fact, after I created links for everything, incl. for e.g. skype, and rebooted, I go into storage, and it tells me I could gain 22M by moving skype to SD card. Also a little surprising that creating the symbolic link is so fast, if it really offloads the app to that 2nd partition. Am I missing something?

using link, the phone thinks they are still on the internal memory. this is what allows the widgets and such to run properly, if you move a widget app to SD then it wont work anymore. there is another option if link isnt what you were thinking. i think its called data2sd, and it uses a 2nd SD partition, but it tells the phone that the 2nd partition is the internal memory. thats all i know about it unfortunately. i'm not even entirely sure it works on the wildfire S, though i would suspect it does.

Upvote 0
Incredibly new to all of this, and I have a quick question or few before I go deeper into reading the instructions on the first post.

"Safe update list- UPDATE TO 11-25-11 IS SAFE, can still root and s-off"
I do recall updating rather recently, (day after Christmas in fact) and I'm wondering if my phone can still root or if I can check just how updated it is currently?

And also, will using your SSRom as well as link2sd and 2nd partitioning my sd card prove detrimental to my use of every facet of the phone in any way? Particularly I'm wondering about CoPilot and basic phone functionality. Or is it safe to assume it'll all work fine?

Lastly, but just to make sure, is my phone CDMA, and hopefully in turn, root-able?
Model: HTC_A510c
Current Network: Virgin Mobile (USA)
Network Type: CDMA - EvDo rev.A
Preferred Network Type: CDMA auto (PRL)
GSM service: In service

I do have to say though, I love the work you've done here. Reading up on the posts here, it certainly sounds like everyone's had great results with your efforts so far.

Upvote 0
using link, the phone thinks they are still on the internal memory. this is what allows the widgets and such to run properly, if you move a widget app to SD then it wont work anymore. there is another option if link isnt what you were thinking. i think its called data2sd, and it uses a 2nd SD partition, but it tells the phone that the 2nd partition is the internal memory. thats all i know about it unfortunately. i'm not even entirely sure it works on the wildfire S, though i would suspect it does.
But then why do I not see any freed-up space? Yes instead of the app there should be a link to the external disk - but the physical space that the app took should have been released.
I am completely baffled. I linked every app that allowed me to and get about 50 MB free space. It's not just tricking the OS... it's tricking me also

Rich

Upvote 0
But then why do I not see any freed-up space? Yes instead of the app there should be a link to the external disk - but the physical space that the app took should have been released.
I am completely baffled. I linked every app that allowed me to and get about 50 MB free space. It's not just tricking the OS... it's tricking me also

Rich
I looked at the partition. All it has is the .apks. So 'link' just offloads the apk? I see e.g. data@app@com.skype.raider-1.apk@classes.dex. Looks to me like the ap is still residing in main memory. So in addition to creating a link I also have to move it?

Upvote 0

Rich

I spent some time reading up on link2sd. I think it is of limited value on android 2.3. It moves data, apk and dex (and library, it it exists) to a 2nd partition. So does the native apps2sd app, only it uses the std division. Link2sd allows me to move an additional 9 MB that the native app does not allow me to move, so there is some value. These seem to be the updates to certain apps, like facebook and market. This app had more us in 1.6 it seems, it's not totally useless now, I was just perplexed by how essential this is deemed by some when in reality it seems to be of rather minor benefit

Upvote 0
I wonder whether my inability to install the SSROMCLASSIC2.4 has to do with the SD card. When I go into HBOOT, it first gets me to the HBOOT screen, then apparently it looks for some files it does not find, related to PG76, like PG76DIAG.zip, PG76DIAG.nbh, PG76IMG.zip and PG76IMP.nbh. I deleted these at one point. Are they needed? I have the 1st 3 on my PC, I do not have the last one. I thought they were just needed temporarily. I can boot into CWM 5.0.2.7. OK anyway

Rich

Upvote 0
Where are the attached files... they were there a few days ago, did they get lost when you added the stock nandroids? I am looking to change the PRL, the instructions mention attached files.
Download and unzip the attached 60681.zip
Plug into a computer and download HTC diag drivers attached to this thread
Both of these seem to be missing or I'm going blind. (I have the diag drivers from before, and found the 60681.zip on the xda forum, I'm just pointing out that something seems to have got lost here)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones