• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help TV Out To HDMI ?

Hey guys. Ordered my Samsung Galaxy S today. It has TV OUT and plays back 1080p HD video so I can use this as my external HDD for carrying films etc...

what I wanted to know is... Can I somehow connect the TV OUT (3.5MM Jack) to a HDMI socket at the back of my TV?

Something like this will work Nokia CA-75U TV Out Cable

but I want that to connect to my HDTV via the HDMI socket.... is there some sort of converter to put the cables into?

or what do you guys use?

thanks

Can't get HD films out of tv-out since its composite (I think), which can have NTSC/PAL output max. That's somewhere around 500p iirc. I think modern tv's still have at least one input for composite, might be scart on your tv tho, so you will have to use a composite to scart (SCART - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) adapter. Again, thats only for non-hd video-transfer.

For HD, you can use DLNA, which is a standard for transferring files to other devices via your wireless network. Basically, you can transfer and receive from any device that is dlna certified, like a computer running certain software, a playsation 3 or some televisions/decoders. You can connect somekinda dlna capable device (like a laptop, playstation 3,...) or play hd directly via dlna if your tv is dlna compatible (this is limited to recent mid- and high-end tv's (2009-2010) ).

What brand and model is your hdtv?

Upvote 0
Can't get HD films out of tv-out since its composite (I think), which can have NTSC/PAL output max. That's somewhere around 500p iirc. I think modern tv's still have at least one input for composite, might be scart on your tv tho, so you will have to use a composite to scart (SCART - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) adapter. Again, thats only for non-hd video-transfer.

For HD, you can use DLNA, which is a standard for transferring files to other devices via your wireless network. Basically, you can transfer and receive from any device that is dlna certified, like a computer running certain software, a playsation 3 or some televisions/decoders. You can connect somekinda dlna capable device (like a laptop, playstation 3,...) or play hd directly via dlna if your tv is dlna compatible (this is limited to recent mid- and high-end tv's (2009-2010) ).

What brand and model is your hdtv?

Hi there. My main HDTV is around three years old so it does not support DLNA. My HDTV in my room is a year old but does not support DLNA.
However my bluray player does support DLNA... but I am not sure if the Bluray & Galaxy S can 'interact' ?

I will try and see if the quality of the 3.5MM tv out is any good..

thing is I read somewhere that the reason the phone can playback 1080p is for the tv out function.. or is it for DLNA?

thanks

Upvote 0
Don't think it's possible to get 1080p out of the tv-out, since it provides an analog signal and can't process HQ. However, if your bluray supports dlna, than you might be able to link them both up to the same wifi and then start the allshare application. You should be able to see the phone on the bluray and/or vice versa.

Upvote 0
Don't think it's possible to get 1080p out of the tv-out, since it provides an analog signal and can't process HQ. However, if your bluray supports dlna, than you might be able to link them both up to the same wifi and then start the allshare application. You should be able to see the phone on the bluray and/or vice versa.

hey mate thanks for the reply... I am going to try it tomorrow as soon as I get it :p

Could you tell me what the latest firmware is?

thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones