• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories TV Out with the Captivate?

That hdmi cord was never intended for the Galaxy S and will not work. Samsung has already confirmed it was mistakenly linked to the Galaxy S on their site.

Where did you read that? I've seen several places saying this will work, and this actually could be a deal breaker for this phone with me, because the Droid X has confirmed HD output support. I'd rather not get it for other reasons, but I can see myself wanting the HDMI for various presentations at client's homes, and HD out would look so much nicer in the homes that have a large display.

Upvote 0
So I bought a TV-out cable and all works well but I do have a question, that depending on the answer may actually be a complaint.

Can you turn off the captivate's screen and still have the TV receive a streaming video????

I see no sense at all why you would need your screen on while you are streaming a video but I cannot find a way to turn it off. Thanks!!

Cant you just lock the screen?

Upvote 0
Composite delivers the same sound and picture quality as an HD(MI) connection, just with more cables, no?
No. In order of ascending quality, the basic Video cablings are as follows:

Composite - Single yellow RCA jack, often packaged with red & white audio cables.

S-Video - Single multi-pin video. Additional (usually stereo 3.5 mm jack) audio cable required.

Component Video - three RCA-type jacks, usually green, blue and red. Does not carry audio, but often packaged as a five-wire plug to include red & white RCA audio jacks.

Note that all of the above are ANALOG connections. Digital has only one offering:

HDMI - Single multi-pin connector, same on both ends. Offers 480i up to 1080p.

Yes, there are exceptions and hybrids to all the above, but those are the basics. The most notable exception would be DLNA which, as mentioned, is not a direct connection, but rather a networking scheme. In otherwords, you're not transmitting video, you're transmitting data, and the TV (or whatever) is then converting that data to video and displaying it.

So, what CAN the Cappy do? According to the current manual:
[FONT=ArialBlack,Italic][FONT=ArialBlack,Italic][FONT=ArialBlack,Italic]TV out[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
This feature allows you to connect your phone to your television via an optional phone to RGB cable and view any locally stored image or video directly on your television. The two available options include: TV out or TV system (NTSC).

Note:
The TV system (NTSC) option is used if you are connecting to an older, analog NTSC system.
To use the TV out feature:

1. From the Home screen, touch ➔ Settings ➔ Sound and display ➔ TV out.
2. Touch one of the following options:
• TV out: to play all of the phone's video output through the TV-out feature.
• TV system (NTSC): to play the phone's video out through an analog TV video system converter (NTSC or PAL).

Thus, it looks like there is a digital option, but it doesn't give specifics. That's the extent of what the manual says.

Upvote 0
I like how everyone just glosses over the fact that TV out is USELESS if you can't turn your phones screen off.

You mean useless if you can't leave your phone's screen ON, right??? I'll assume that's what you meant. Especially for gaming! imagine trying to "feel" where you're supposed to press by looking at the big screen. I would sure like to be able to still see the screen at least at first, so i can get used to where I need to touch. In addition, the screens on modern phones sip power. You could sit through two or three whole movies before your phone goes dead.

Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of app that when you shake your phone the screen blacks out ...

Upvote 0
I bought the Galaxy S Captivate (i896) a couple weeks ago, and just 2 days ago I found out about the TV-Out possibility... I was excited about that. However I couldn't manage to get it to work...!!!!

I used my camcorder's video cable (jack -> RCA) and pluged that into my phone, and the other end in my TV's inputs (switching yellow for red, btw).

Went into my settings, enabled the TV out function and... no image. I got the sound (which I believe is there because of the jack acting the same as headphones)... In place of the image, I get the following message: "TV-out not supported while application running. Phone display only."

I don't understand what application it's talking about... and I don't have any "phone display" on my tv.

I've searched A LOT on Google, Forums, Samsung's website, etc... I didn't find much to help me at all. And get this one: I called the Samsung's customer service line. After a few minutes, the lady said they never heard about this function, and she couldn't help me. She recommended that I call my service carrier! How dumb can you be.

I've managed to get the User's Manual online... and the function is talked about in there... Some other guy told me to use some other cable. Now, this doesn't make much sense, since I do have some image, even if it's just text, it still comes from my phone. Nonetheless I will try that eventually, just to prove me right.

So now I'm at a lost... Can you help me ??

Reactions: Lanidarc
Upvote 0
I bought the Galaxy S Captivate (i896) a couple weeks ago, and just 2 days ago I found out about the TV-Out possibility... I was excited about that. However I couldn't manage to get it to work...!!!!

I used my camcorder's video cable (jack -> RCA) and pluged that into my phone, and the other end in my TV's inputs (switching yellow for red, btw).

Went into my settings, enabled the TV out function and... no image. I got the sound (which I believe is there because of the jack acting the same as headphones)... In place of the image, I get the following message: "TV-out not supported while application running. Phone display only."

I don't understand what application it's talking about... and I don't have any "phone display" on my tv.

I've searched A LOT on Google, Forums, Samsung's website, etc... I didn't find much to help me at all. And get this one: I called the Samsung's customer service line. After a few minutes, the lady said they never heard about this function, and she couldn't help me. She recommended that I call my service carrier! How dumb can you be.

I've managed to get the User's Manual online... and the function is talked about in there... Some other guy told me to use some other cable. Now, this doesn't make much sense, since I do have some image, even if it's just text, it still comes from my phone. Nonetheless I will try that eventually, just to prove me right.

So now I'm at a lost... Can you help me ??

I ran across this elsewhere and verified it got mine working. For some reason...and I know it doesn't sound right but on your cable if you swap the yellow and red around it'll show video and stereo audio. I did it, couldn't believe it though.

Reactions: NJR
Upvote 0
That I did. :)

I use Android System Info to kill running apps on occasion. It may do you good to see if you can kill running apps to see why it does that. You also need to be using NTSC too, in case it isn't.

HOLY :eek: !!! IT FINALLY WORKED!
I owe you many thanks! I can't believe no one could help me with this f'n problem!

Now, for anyone else... I used the app gcobb suggested.
And I killed a couple apps that I knew about...

And now it works!
The thing is... I'd like to find out WHICH app was actually the culprit.
Will come back if I find this.

But hey thanks again! Now I'll go tell this other guy that the cable is just a dumb solution to suggest. Cable has nothing to do with it, as long as it is a jack --> RCA.

Upvote 0
HOLY :eek: !!! IT FINALLY WORKED!
I owe you many thanks! I can't believe no one could help me with this f'n problem!

Now, for anyone else... I used the app gcobb suggested.
And I killed a couple apps that I knew about...

And now it works!
The thing is... I'd like to find out WHICH app was actually the culprit.
Will come back if I find this.

But hey thanks again! Now I'll go tell this other guy that the cable is just a dumb solution to suggest. Cable has nothing to do with it, as long as it is a jack --> RCA.

Awesome!!

Upvote 0
I ran across this elsewhere and verified it got mine working. For some reason...and I know it doesn't sound right but on your cable if you swap the yellow and red around it'll show video and stereo audio. I did it, couldn't believe it though.

Wow!!! Why I don't know but you really do need to swap yellow and red !!!
I wouldn't have figured it out without this board Thanks

Upvote 0
Same here, I just got it working with this color swap - how did someone know to do this? :eek::thinking:

Not every breakout cable breaks out to each color the same. The positive and negative will stay together, but sometimes a section on the pin itself will pull video from the section in the jack in one device, while pulling audio on the same section in another device. Trial and error FTW.

Upvote 0
A "standard" composite video cable uses the yellow for video. Some of the iPods use a similar cable for video out and Apple, just to be different, required a cable that reverses yellow and red (I assume they did this to trick people into buying their "proprietary" cable. I think that's why some cables have to be reversed. They were probably designed to accommodate Apple's weirdness.

Upvote 0
Composite delivers the same sound and picture quality as an HD(MI) connection, just with more cables, no?

Composite = Uses RCA connectors (typically one yellow) to output video at a max of 480 interlaced lines of resolution.

Component = Uses RCA connectors (typically 3, 1red, 1blue, 1 green) to output video at a max of 1080 interlaced lines of resolution (also 480p, 720i/p, etc)

HDMI will allow you 1080p (progressive scan).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones