TV's Compatible with Evo's HDMI outAccessories

Last Updated:

1. Braaainz

Braaainz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, this thread is to hopefully list out HDMI Televisions that are fully compatible with Evo's HDMI out port.

Samsung televisions are BARELY compatible. The only videos that will work are ones shot at 720p (1280x720) MPEG4 format. Slideshows of pics will play. YouTube does not.

I tried a Sylvania television and it appeared to be fully compatible. It played YouTube, pic slideshows, 3gp & mpeg4 files without a problem.

Anyone else?

Please include the following with your replies...

Brand Name of Television with model number
    Does it work with the following:
    1. 3gp video files
    2. mpeg4 video files recorded at 480p
    3. mpeg4 video files recorded at 720p
    4. H.263 video files
    5. YouTube videos from YouTube app.
    6. Slideshow pics from Gallery app.
    7. Other media or items of note.

Advertisement
  2. dleasman

dleasman New Member

I have 3 LG tv's, all models with cablecard and integrated tvguide and dvr. One is a 60" plasma, another is a 50" plasma, and the last is a 42" lcd.

The evo locks up when I connect to any of them, and I have to remove the battery to get it back.

This is a known issue with the hdmi and lockups, and as I understand it, should be fixed in the next firmware update, whenever that will be. The evo has many, many issues... But overall, is a great device. Battery life has not really been a complaint. It does better than my iPhone did.

3. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

Samsung 40" LCD, works great.

4. Braaainz

Everything is working? YouTube, 3gp, mpeg4, etc?

What model number do you have?

5. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

LN40B630

Youtube, pics, mp4 vids, flixter, act 1 video player all work.

6. nickoakdl

nickoakdl Well-Known Member

For those who have a PS3 and no micro HDMI, the PS3 will play movies you put on the EVO when you connect via USB.

7. lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

I have a 3 year old Vizio from Costco and it plays videos back just fine. Now I have only shot in 720 so I don't know if others work or not.

8. neoshi

neoshi Well-Known Member

OP, You should request a standardized format for this thread if it's going to be anything useful. Something like:

TV Brand:
    TV Model Number:
    HDMI Cable brand and part number:
    Notes:

There's too much of my *BRAND* works (and that's all).

Braaainz and Mabster like this.
  9. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

Vizio VF551XVT 55" LCD with local dimming

Does it work with the following:
    1. 3gp video files (YES)
    2. mpeg4 video files recorded at 480p (YES)
    3. mpeg4 video files recorded at 720p (YES)
    4. H.263 video files (YES)
    5. YouTube videos from YouTube app. (YES)
    6. Slideshow pics from Gallery app. (YES)
    7. Other media or items of note. (Side-loaded H.264 movies/trailers/video @ 720p and 480p)

Edit: 3GP is the container used in all videos recorded by the Evo (with either mpeg 4 or H.263 codecs), no? It seems like a redundant option?

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g...vo-playback-hd-720p-movies-over-hdmi-out.html

10. Braaainz

Sorry, I was going by the file descriptions on my powerbook. When I played videos converted from mpg4 to 3gp to play on my old Motorola razr, those files wouldn't play on some tv's while other vids recorded by the Evo itself would.

11. VGPOP

VGPOP Well-Known Member

I have a Samsung LN46A630 and it does not play video or pictures.

Let me get this straight, I purchased this cable for $18 bucks (6.5 feet) on EBAY, and I won't be able to use this on my Samsung HDTV?

12. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bad cable. Buy it from Sprint and test it out before returning one of them. I went through this and trust me, it works with Samsung TVs.. :)

13. Braaainz

Not so fast. I have the Sprint cable directly from Sprint and it works perfectly on Sylvanias and other TV brands.

With my Samsung LCD HDMI TV, it only works on slideshow pics and 720p vids I shoot with the Evo, nothing else. Searching online has revealed that other people have problems with many of the Samsung television sets working properly with the Evo.

i.e. it's not the cable, it's the handshaking between the Evo and the TVs. After dealing with Samsung customer service and tech help, it looks like many Samsung sets will only play HDMI at 720p & higher with other modes are "not supported".

That's why it's important to list your model number on this thread. So we know what makes and models work properly.

14. NeoteriX

A test clip for those who want to see if sideloaded 720p video works with their HDMI out:

This is the Gran Turismo trailer I showcased in my HDMI demo video.

GT5rpHISTORICALv12_720-1.m4v

15. Braaainz

I think the issue is that the Evo connects via a handshake created by HDMI 1.4 and that a lot of tvs use 1.3

16. NeoteriX

For what it's worth, I believe the published specs for my Vizio VF551XVT say that the HDMI inputs are v.1.3

17. Wrxdrunkie

Wrxdrunkie Well-Known Member

yup, also had the samsung handshake problem. This was the final straw for me so I am not getting a different TV. The samsung already had waaay to much input lag for shooters.

The handshake problem exists with so much more than just this phone, its so annoying.

18. Braaainz

If you‘ve received that last update on your phone, I highly suggest that you try hooking up to your TV again. My Samsung now works flawlessly!

I am so geeked!

19. neoshi

neoshi Well-Known Member

Question: Would the TV's firmware be a factor in this? I know my Samsung LN46A750 has a bunch of firmware updates... maybe the latest would fix the issues?

20. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

If your TV would not work before the update adds the ability to choose to output Automatically, 720p, or 480p. Before the update I could not output less than 720p to my Samsung 61" DLP because my TV does not like content at 480p via HDMI. NOw I just press the HDMI connected notification and choose 720p and everything plays beautifully.

21. PuRock

PuRock Well-Known Member

22. Braaainz

I still don't get screen capture, but every video that I had on my ipod classic now plays, plus 3gp vids I had converted for my old Motorola razr, plus YouTube, MyTV, and streaming and downloaded video podcasts on .podkast.

The video podcasts look absolutely incredible.

23. Fubie

Fubie Well-Known Member

I have a Sanyo 32" LCD and just tried the HDMI connection and it locks the phone. As with others I have to remove the battery to make the phone functional again. I use the HDMI port for my Dish DVR receiver all the time.

My phone is a launch day Evo that is version 2. Software is version 1.47.651.1

I guess the update didn't "fix" the connection issue for all TV's?

24. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Mine was working for a while but only outputting 480p. Tried forcing 720p by changing from automatic and now pluging in the hdmi cable locks the phone. Any ideas how to get it back?

25. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Yeah go toMenu then settings then Sound and Display. Down towards the bottom we now have a place to choose the video out Settings. Just switch it back to Automatic