• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tweaks...

kam187

Android Expert
Aug 3, 2009
UK
Add as we discover them :)

- Install spare parts and change window transitions speed to 'fast'
- Change overall font size to 'small'
- Install busybox so you can try swapper (needs root)

(you can also enable fancy transitions etc from spare parts)

Hmm i don't see how. It just changes some android settings. It was compiled from some code found in the google source archive.

You can use it to change the setting then uninstall if you're paranoid about it.

I'm finding that in fact with the new firmware there are random crashes - which sometimes cause a reboot, but at the very least wake the phone up. This is what's causing the battery drain. I hope samsung release a fixed firmware soon!

Upvote 0
Looks like you are right..
"the camera, which was notably lagging is now "39% faster, and there is a 28% improvement in the time from completing one shot to the next."
Google releases Android 'Donut' 1.6 SDK

I'm not holding high hopes given the rate at which Samsung is releasing updates in the UK..

Eh? Just use odin and flash the newer ones. You can always make a nandroid copy of your nand if your worried about warranty.

Upvote 0
From my understanding (i'm new to a lot of this, bear with me) it's not the firmware that "fixes" the camera speed, it's a newer version of Android. Since the 1.6 SDK is all that has been released, manufacturers still have to build their new firmware around 1.6. Currently it's all built around 1.5 right?
So Samsung's latest firmware (II5) doesn't have anything to do with 1.6, it's all built around 1.5 I thought.

Also, doesn't nandroid require a rooted phone (very funny statement if you're Australian :))?

From the readme in nandroid:
"Nandroid Backup is a set of tools and a script that will enable anyone who has root on their G1 and has the engineering/dev spl bootloader [1] (or has a dev phone) + a recovery image with busybox and adbd running as root [2] to make full system backups."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones