• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Twitter for Android Review

Discover what’s happening right now, anywhere in the world with the official Twitter for Android app. Real-time search, trending topics and maps show whats happening now everywhere and nearby. Tweet, send DMs, share photos, videos and links to your friends and the world. Don’t have an account? Just sign up from the app!
Twitter for Android is a fantastic application to use, and sharing any link or photo is super simple too – just look for the share button in your favorite application and choose Twitter.
Reading tweets is easy in a bunch of places on your phone. Quickly access your timeline with the home screen widget, view a tweet location on a map, and see your friend’s latest tweet in your phonebook, GoogleTalk list or any application that uses Android’s QuickContact bar.
Overall the Twitter app feels complete, polished, and packed with enough features that any Twitter fanatic will enjoy without being bogged down by too much customization. The absence of multiple account support, however, is a big omission, so other Twitter clients still stand a chance.
Twitter has also done a great job with the official app keeping it running smoothly. I noticed no lag when selecting options or flipping through menus and screens.

0_thumb.jpg

Is there a way to set it up so when you open it, it starts you at the oldest Tweets and not the newest Tweets? I haven't been able to find anything for that, and I hate starting at the newest. I used Twitteriffic on my iPhone, and it would auto-refresh the last 200 Tweets when you opened it and start you at the oldest ones so you could read through them in order. Haven't found an Android Twitter app that does that, and I've not used Twitter much on my Droid X because of that, it just annoys the crap out of me.

Upvote 0
I use Twidroyd Pro Hrethgir and, having read this thread, I just turned off the phone (to change the battery) and re-started it. When I fired Twidroyd Pro up again it started, as I was sure it did, at the last Tweet that I'd read rather than the newest at the top. I must confess that this is one of the things I like about the app (and similarly with news feeds on FeedR).

Steve.

Reactions: Hrethgir
Upvote 0
I tried Tuittuer (or however it's spelled) last night, and it does everything I want. Remembers my last read Tweet, autorefreshes when I open it and starts at the oldest, and lets you edit retweets. Bye-bye, official Twitter app! Should have known it would suck, doing Twitter from twitter.com sucks, how could I expect them to get an app right? I'm going to keep Tweetdeck around though, since I can update Twitter and Facebook at the same time with it, and sometimes I want to do that. I may give Twidroid a try, though. But if it isn't free like Tuittuer, I probably won't use it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones