1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Two Apps with the same name... conflict?General

Last Updated:

1. LuvrGirl

LuvrGirl Member

So quick question... I have my Galaxy S4 stock from AT&T and it already had a photo editor pre-installed, which is fine and dandy because I like it and use it on occasion. I was looking thru apps and wanted to install an app called Photo Editor and it hit me - it's the same name as the one pre-installed on my phone.

I checked and there is a directory already created on my phone called Photo Editor for the existing app. Would there be a conflict if I install the other app I want? Seeing as they are both called "Photo editor" and assuming the new app I want to install will also want to create a directory called Photo editor...?

Suggestions?

~Maria

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Well-Known Member

Won't be a problem. Internally they use a Hexadecimal (or something like that) name to identify themselves called a Process ID. To exist in the play store they have to be registered with a different PID. The OS on the phone does not really care what the common name of the app is - only the user does.
    LuvrGirl likes this.
  3. SebaKL

SebaKL Well-Known Member

Sorry to barge in and post off topic, but I would really like to recommend you to check Pixlr Express

It's probably the most comprehensive and feature rich photo editing app, and it's free. Beside photo edit there is nice Collage feature, perfect if you are into instagram and the like.

And no, I don't work for them, just saw the screenshot of the app you are about download, thought I share my enthusiasm for Pixlr Exp.
  4. LuvrGirl

LuvrGirl Member

Thank you for the recommendation! I actually do have PixlrExpress installed as well and yeah, it's pretty awesome. I use different apps for different functions - this one that I asked about (Photo Editor) I mainly use to resize pics to use as wallpaper - it allows me to change resolution/size and option to keep aspect ratio or not.

And depending on the pics and the look I want... I go with either PixlrExpress or PhotoGrid for collages.

Thanks again!
    Maria