1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Two New Must-Have's?

Last Updated:

1. hannahl3

hannahl3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

....well ONE new one and an old one actually.

The old one is something that I noticed whilst reading a phone magazine -

Juice Defender is something that apparently runs in the background, only letting data connection and other battery sappers run when you want them to - thereby saving your battery. I've just got it set at its default setting for now, so we'll see what happens.

The new one is -

Yahoo Mail is a brand new release, just announced on Yahoo itself, that gives you access to ALL your folders (spam, drafts, sent etc) as well as your inbox, plus a 'smart folder' section containing emails with photos and file attachments, a little like the full web version. I've not found a 'contacts' section yet though, so it might mean using the web version to send multiple emails. Nevertheless, a very nice piece of kit!

Advertisement
  2. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

I have used Juice Defender for months and never noticed any difference in performance then not using it, if there is a battery savings I didn't really see it. My 2 cents.

3. Blown 89

Blown 89 Member

I took Yahoo off my phone today...it's a terrible program. It was so slow I found that opening the browser and going to the web page was faster. I've yet to find a decent mail app on Marketplace.

4. hannahl3

Sure Yahoo is a bit slow as yet - but I'm only going to use it if I'm not near a pc. And lets face it, its only just been released for five minutes, so am giving it a decent run.

I'll be able to comment on JD tomorrow afternoon when I seen a full days operation - so far its looking quite good

5. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

The Yahoo mail app isn't new - it was released in June!

I've been using it for a couple of months now and it is very slow to use with a lot of faults. The good thing is that it notifies my mail marginally quicker than K-9.

6. RyanB

RyanB Guest

I've also written Juice Defender off. After letting it run on my phone, then letting my phone run until it died, there was no discernible difference in how long the battery lasted. I imagine it's more effective with users who don't bother to curtail the data consumption of various apps and let them access the net with impunity.

7. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Ah ha...thanks for sharing that. I've been debating Juice Defender for some time now. I think I'm better off just keeping a charger handy whenever possible.

8. NexuSix

NexuSix Well-Known Member

9. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Here's a thread from several months back discussing Juice Defender

androidforums.com/motorola-droid/49741-juicedefender-droid.html

FWIW, I'm thinking about giving the freeware another shot, now that I have Set CPU running a low voltage kernel, and see if that slows down the usage even more. I'll try just about anything (more than once add evidenced here) given that I both live and work in low coverage areas.

10. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

I tried out the Yahoo Mail app, but I quickly removed it. It was too much work just to check my mail compared to the native G-mail app. If I want to check my spam folder in Yahoo, I can just use my PC either at work or at home.

11. hannahl3

Dunno, I must be missing something here - the Yahoo mail app from Yahoo themselves, yeah? The one thats faster than the default mail app as it loads the whole message without asking if you wanted to load the last bit up? And the one that lets you click on hyperlinks? Dunno, it works fine for me.

12. hannahl3

Just a quickie on JD-

Went for a mini break last week armed with phone chargers and batteries but neednt have bothered - after three days I still had a three quarter charge left.
    Obviously for those that live on their phones, JD might not be any good, but for those of us with real lives, its indispensable!

Renee1228 likes this.
  13. brownhornet

brownhornet Well-Known Member

That yahoo mail app is garbage.. it wouldnt let my phone sleep. I just forwarded my yahoo mail to gmail and deaded the need for it.

14. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

IMO, neither of these are must-haves but such lists are always highly YMMV. I don't have a Yahoo account but my wife does and I wasn't impressed at all by the Yahoo app. Again, YMMV.

15. bjones6416

bjones6416 Active Member

I admit that I'm so new in the Android world that I probably don't KNOW a good app from a bad one -- but the Yahoo mail app works beautifully for me. I don't have it set up to notify me because I prefer to check my e-mail on my own schedule, but it opens for me very quickly and updates my new mail. I haven't had a problem with the phone not wanting to sleep or anything. I guess it's another one of those YMMV things. I like it, though. :)

16. brownhornet

brownhornet Well-Known Member

i guess.. but its an absolute battery drainer

17. NoShineMM

NoShineMM Well-Known Member

I did the same thing. Found it works fine like this.

18. Danno22

Danno22 New Member

Is there any way to get rid of the icon for juice defender that sits in the notification bar? i know its anal, but it annoys the heck out of me when it is there.

19. soccplayer07

soccplayer07 Member

x2

20. irishpride

irishpride Well-Known Member

I don't use juice defender, but I know most apps that have an icon in the notification bar give an option to shut it off if you hit menu and go into settings.

21. steelersmb

steelersmb Well-Known Member

Under the advanced tab there is a button at the top that says Notification. That will remove the icon in the status bar.

22. dawnierae

dawnierae Well-Known Member

What Advanced tab? When I hit the menu key in JD, I get no options...nothing.