Two questions about the MyTouch 1.2

Last Updated:

1. Ubizmo

Ubizmo Active Member This Topic's Starter

Two things I'd like to know about the MyTouch 1.2:

1. I've seen mention, here and elsewhere, of its "improved keyboard," compared to the original MyTouch 3G. I hope someone will explain clearly what's better about it. "Improved" doesn't really say much.

2. I'd like to know if the camera is any better. Yes, I know that megapixels are the same. Megapixels don't equal quality. My Blackberry also has a 3.2 MP camera, but it takes better pictures (sharper, better focus) than the camera on my wife's MyTouch. The difference between the two is not megapixels; it's optics and, perhaps, software. I'm wondering if the MyTouch 1.2 has improved either one. A proper answer to this one would ideally involve side-by-side comparisons or, at least, the judgment of someone who knows something about digital photography.

Ubizmo

Advertisement
  2. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

the camera is the same and the keyboard they are talking about is swype. swype comes standard on it now

3. Ubizmo

Ubizmo Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks! That simplifies my decision process. I think people who actually know how to type won't be that attracted to an input method that requires you to do text entry with one finger. I realize that Swype can be turned off, but for some of us it won't count as an "improvement."

Android really needs to get auto-text.

As for the camera... It's not good enough. I actually think 3.2 MP is enough for cell phone cameras. A 2048 x 1536 image is enough to fill, and then some, most computer screens, and that's how most people view photos these days. And even printed, at 300 dpi, you'll get a good quality 7" x 5" picture--but only if the original 2048 x 1536 digital image is of good quality. On the MT3G, it isn't very good. The MT36 really shouldn't be used for photos bigger that 1024 x 768, which is still a decent size for on-screen viewing.

Ubizmo

4. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

:D I've been a touch-typist for 30-somethingsomething years (learned on a manual typewriter), and I find typing with my thumbs incredibly frustrating. I use Shapewriter fairly happily, and it still requires you to know how the keyboard is laid out.

Just my opinion. :)

5. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

Don't really care for the camera but swype is starting to grow on me. It's very accurate and once you get the technique down, you can type more words per minute than your average keyboard.

Trust me it's not just a novelty.

6. BiGMERF

the camera was one of the major reasons i left the mytouch.. the camera sucks. my nexus camera is 100 times better. as for swype, you dont have to use it all you have to do is goto the market and download the android keyboard

7. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

It also comes pre-installed with Android keyboard as well. You can switch between the two when you long press for input method.

8. BiGMERF

o really! thats great even better! i didnt know that.. it will make many 1.2 owners that dont like the swype app happy.!

9. StarMenace

StarMenace Well-Known Member

Whoa, when did the 1.2 come out?

10. pcain01

pcain01 Member

What is 1.2, i jus got 1.6......im confused

11. InstantKarma

It's a new model of the phone.

12. pcain01

pcain01 Member

well that sux, i jus got this 2 weeks ago

13. InstantKarma

Two weeks exactly? There's a 14 day return period...

14. adamajah

adamajah Well-Known Member

Unless you're in CA, where you have a 30 day "buyer's remorse" period. I just learned this and am now in the process of exchanging for the new 1.2 MT3G.

:cool: