• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Two Questions for Current DroidX owner

BobG

Lurker
Oct 25, 2010
I am eligable for an upgrade with verizon in a couple if weeks and have decided to go with an Android based phone. I am leanding towards the Droidx but am feeling that the screen size is a bit of a double edged sword for me.

I am curently a BB user that is very proficient on the Qwerty keyboard.

I feel like the large screen creates a fantastic visual experience when browsing. This and the speed blow away my BB. I sometimes read emails with attached pdf's which is kind of a hassle on my BB. I'm guessing this too will be a much better experience on this phone. I also feel like the larger screen (and correspondingly larger keyboard) along with swype will make it easier for me to get over the lack of a physical keyboard (I looked at the D2 and didn't like the keyboard at all).

On the downside the phone just feels a bit big in my hand. While it's hard to tell with the cord attached at the store I wonder if I might feel like I am holding up a tennis racket to the side of my head when using it. I also carry my current phone in a belt holster and would like to do the same with this phone.

So my questions are:

- Is there anyone out there with the phone who originally thought it was a bit big? Do you still feel that way or have you gotten used to it over a period of time?

- Are there any users out there comfortably carrying the phone in a belt holster/case? If so I would love to know which case you are using.

To me it seems a little big but mostly when it is in my jeans front pocket, even when I didn't have a case. But for the screen size it's a tradeoff I can live with. As a result I was finding myself carrying it more and more and fear of dropping made me opt for a case. I went with the Body Glove which comes with a belt holster fitting and clip (I don't use it BTW). Given the other choices I don't think anything compares to the DX. Right now anyway...good luck!

Reactions: BobG
Upvote 0
I originally wrote off the entire concept of the 4.3" screen size phones. I don't have particularly big hands and while my pants aren't tight, I do wear clothes that fit and was worried about the size in my pocket.

These worries were confirmed when a coworker got an Evo. I decided it was just too big.

Then, another coworker got a Droid X. Side-by-side with my iPhone 3GS, I found out that the DX was actually only slightly taller and negligibly wider, plus it was thinner. I find the form factor of the DX much more appealing than the Evo. I was still a little worried about it but went ahead and took the plunge.

I am now completely comfortable with the size - though I recognize that this is really the upper bounds of what I can use. I can use it one handed - just. It fits in my pockets fine, but I don't think I'd want it to be any bigger. The square edges definitely make it more of a "presence" in my pocket than my 3GS was.

I still think 4" might be the sweet spot but I wrote off the Fascinate after the GPS/reception/call quality problems, and I really am sick of the trend of making phones - which are usually held in your hand - out of slippery, hard to grip, glossy plastic. And the DX size is fine, so it's all good.

Upvote 0
Initially I felt the X was a bit large. I noticed this most when I was trying to use the phone one handed.... it required me to stretch more than I would have liked. I don't notice that anymore. So I've adjusted to the size.

I've never felt the phone was too big while talking. Because it's more slender and tall it actually feels more comfortable to me then my old sprint diamond.

I really do like the larger screen size... when I'm on a phone call I like having larger buttons then my old diamond had. Surfing the web, using GPS navigation, calendar, email, etc. are all far better on the X's large screen.

No help with the case... I'm currently just stuffing the x in my back pocket. Which is working out surprisingly well. But I may get a carrying case just in case I go thru a time period where I end up sitting on a lot of rocks :).

Upvote 0
I currently use both. I have a BB bold for work (or whatever the 9700 at AT&T is) it replaced my Perl. And I have the DX for personal use.

I love the DX even from working BB for more than 3 years, but I will admit that sometimes I wished I had waited a week and gotten a D2 for the keyboard.

I don't like swype, its a training thing and I could possibly like it. BUT going from one device to the other all the time, I prefer the MOTO multi-touch keyboard option.

The size is what makes the keyboard useful for me AT ALL. Really I have large hands and any other touch keyboard sucks for me in general, Droid OS or I phone not withstanding.

Screen is awesome to say the least. Blows away the BB for video and other screen activities. Speed is faster, and interaction is a little easier.

Although if you have corportate E-mail concerns, DX has issues. I don't, so it wasn't a concern for me. For everything else, DX is a better product. Rooted, and BS removed, its even faster

Upvote 0
Don't worry at all about the size.

The phone "looks" really big but it doesn't "feel" big. And yes, the cord on the verizon displays don't do it any favors.

But once you have it, any thoughts of size will quickly dissappear. No, you never feel like you are holding a brick to your head. Plus, it's "thinness" is what really makes it worthwhile. When waiting for the phone to come out, I saw the hump on the back and was like, "WTF were they thinking", but its surprisingly not an issue. Actually, quite the opposite. It's pretty ergonomic and helps keep the grip on the phone.

Overall I found it much more useable than the DInc that it replaced.

Upvote 0
I came from a Droid Incredible and was definitely worried that the DX would be (and look) too big.

After having it for a few months now, it's definitely not too big.

Very, very happy I went with the DX. The size is a complete non-issue (in a negative way). I (and most people) feel it's actually a positive thing.

I also like the hump on the back. Helps to figure out up/down when you aren't looking at it and it helps you get some extra grip, especially when taking pictures or video horizontally.

Upvote 0
Although if you have corportate E-mail concerns, DX has issues. I don't, so it wasn't a concern for me. For everything else, DX is a better product. Rooted, and BS removed, its even faster

Napalm,

Thanks for the reply!

I was planning on accessing both a personal (gmail) and a work (exchange) email account. I was under the impression that the exchange support was native and that Android 2.2 even included the exchange calendar. Can you share what the issues are?

Upvote 0
I am eligable for an upgrade with verizon in a couple if weeks and have decided to go with an Android based phone. I am leanding towards the Droidx but am feeling that the screen size is a bit of a double edged sword for me.

I feel like the large screen creates a fantastic visual experience when browsing. This and the speed blow away my BB. I sometimes read emails with attached pdf's which is kind of a hassle on my BB. I'm guessing this too will be a much better experience on this phone. I also feel like the larger screen (and correspondingly larger keyboard) along with swype will make it easier for me to get over the lack of a physical keyboard (I looked at the D2 and didn't like the keyboard at all).

On the downside the phone just feels a bit big in my hand. While it's hard to tell with the cord attached at the store I wonder if I might feel like I am holding up a tennis racket to the side of my head when using it. I also carry my current phone in a belt holster and would like to do the same with this phone.

So my questions are:

- Is there anyone out there with the phone who originally thought it was a bit big? Do you still feel that way or have you gotten used to it over a period of time?

- Are there any users out there comfortably carrying the phone in a belt holster/case? If so I would love to know which case you are using.

1. I don't think you will have a problem with the screen size. Fits nice in your hand, very light phone, great screen.

2. I wear the phone in the leather Verizon belt case. Since the phone is so light, it is very comfortable. You can barely feel it on your belt. It does take a little practice getting it out of the case, but you'll get used to it.

On the downside, people will probably jump all over me for this, but if I had to do it all over again, I don't know whether I would get the X. There are a lot of things that I really love about this phone, but I have had many problems. I am on my third phone. I'm still having problems and I still have serious 3g drop issues that I don't think will ever be addressed by Verizon or Motorola. If you read the forums, you will see that while people love the X, there are also lot of people having problems. Also, if this is your first android phone, be aware that there is a big learning curve.

If I could do it all over again, I'm not sure what I would get. I'm lucky that I only took a 1 year contract. Maybe there will be a Droid X version 2 with many of the issues fixed by the time I can upgrade again.

Upvote 0
Napalm,

Thanks for the reply!

I was planning on accessing both a personal (gmail) and a work (exchange) email account. I was under the impression that the exchange support was native and that Android 2.2 even included the exchange calendar. Can you share what the issues are?

a very small percentage of the time, contacts or calendar wont fully pull through. but again, those issues are few and far between. i use exchange on my DX, and it's flawless. calendar, contacts, and email all come thru without a problem.
even if you do have a problem, you can get touchdown, which is an awesome app for exchange users. my exchange works perfectly, and i paid the $20 for touchdown because i like it so much. but, if your x does have exchange issues, moto will give you a free key for touchdown.

Upvote 0
This close to the x-mass shopping season, I would wait. There's gonna be alot of cool new hardware coming out, if you still end up liking the x best it could be on sale at that point.

I thought about waiting but eh...I've had by Blackjack II (don't laugh. lol) for a little over 2 years and I am in need of a change.

OP, if you haven't ordered the phone, I would try to buy it through http://www.letstalk.com I only paid $80 for the Droid X and it should be here tomorrow. I'm so excited!!:)

Upvote 0
I went from a tiny LG Chocolate (rather small phone, though a little thick) to a DX. If I can do that and have the DX feel just fine in my hand, you can too coming from a bulky BB :p

When waiting for the phone to come out, I saw the hump on the back and was like, "WTF were they thinking", but its surprisingly not an issue. Actually, quite the opposite. It's pretty ergonomic and helps keep
the grip on the phone.

I feel the same about the hump. At first I felt it made the phone look hard to handle, but it's helped out quite a bit. It makes pulling the phone out of tight pockets a lot easier than many other slim phones, and it helps hold itself in your hand both while browsing around the phone or holding it up to your ear on a call. I can now be lazy with just lightly cupping the phone and holding it to my ear rather than pinch the phone with my fingers :p

Upvote 0
Napalm,

Thanks for the reply!

a very small percentage of the time, contacts or calendar wont fully pull through. but again, those issues are few and far between. i use exchange on my DX, and it's flawless. calendar, contacts, and email all come thru without a problem.
even if you do have a problem, you can get touchdown, which is an awesome app for exchange users. my exchange works perfectly, and i paid the $20 for touchdown because i like it so much. but, if your x does have exchange issues, moto will give you a free key for touchdown.

This is most of it. I will say for some the configuration requirements are a bit difficult. I tried walking 2 different people through it and no dice. Even after getting touchdown. However I honestly believe that was on the part of their exchange servers, not the DX. (mostly since touchdown wouldn't work)

If you use it alot, I would ask moto for the free key anyway. Touchdown is a good product IMO.

However, I don't use it as in its not on my phone. I do not use mine for work mostly because our IT group won't allow anything by BB. So check on that before you go too far. And there is a reason why BB is better for security reasons, and well they just work. Its a locked down standard device that requires little to no support on behalf of your IT department.

Everything else though, I honestly think the BB is the better device here.

I keep mine in a leather holster attached to my belt. Never a problem. Love the size. Just remember, it's a great PHONE too.

On that well I am probably odd here too. I keep mine in my pocket, yes really. unless sitting down, then I take it out and keep it at arms length. I also don't holster my BB either.

Upvote 0

So my questions are:

1. I thought it was big at first, but now I'm used to it. I really would hate to go back to a smaller screen
  2. I just put it in a pocket.

Upvote 0

So my questions are:

You sound exactly like me. My BB Curve served me well in a time where choices were few. I tried Windows and it sucked. The BB OS and formfactor just worked.

So when it was time for an upgrade I found that RIM had left me wanting. So I went to verizon and saw the Droid X and thought.........THATS ENTIRELY TOO LARGE. Loving a hands on keyboard, I settled for the Droid 2. It was a let-down for me. The keyboard isnt very user friendly and the screen's just too narrow or something.

Went to the Droid X and I wouldn't even consider giving it up.

I carry mine in a Verizon belt holster and love it.

Do it.

Upvote 0
I really appreciate all of the helpful replies. Thanks to you all. It's great to hear that the responses were mostly positive about both getting used to the size and the belt holster (for those that choose that method).

While I wasn't expecting to hear that there are sometimes exchange issues it is nice to hear that there are options if I do have issues there.

Upvote 0
I LOVE the size of the screen, and no, as has been said, it does not feel too large when holding it up to your ear. I have small hands as well.

I also use the VZW holster combo, and it works very well for me. I even have an extended battery and the case fits over that fine.

If I had it to do over, I'd definitely get the X again (and I am actually on my 4th DX...long story.)

Good luck to you!

Upvote 0
I really appreciate all of the helpful replies. Thanks to you all. It's great to hear that the responses were mostly positive about both getting used to the size and the belt holster (for those that choose that method).

While I wasn't expecting to hear that there are sometimes exchange issues it is nice to hear that there are options if I do have issues there.

A lot of the exchange issue I think are tied to the person running the server and the permissions. Also some of this might have been fixed with 2.2OTA. When I was dealing with it we were on 2.1

Again look around, I think touchdown fixes all issues assuming you can have the permissions granted.

Upvote 0
I don't think the size is an issue. From what I gather, most people think it is an issue, but then they get used to it and can't live with out the 4.3'' screen.

However a case will make it significantly bulkier. If you like holsters, then thats a great way to carry the phone around (but I personally dont like them). Before I got a case I could just barely fit the phone in my jeans pocket, and it was a pretty tight fit and not comfortable at all. But once I got a case I started keeping it in my purse or backpack all the time so its not an issue for me anymore.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones