TWO s off methods!

1. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

moonshine has been released:
    moonshine xda thread
    direct link:
    http://moonshine.io/

and also a well known team has released what they are calling a developer early access edition:
    revolutionary

i tried revolutionarys method partially becasue it used more commands and was slightly less automated,partially becasue it didnt require linux,and mostly becasue moonshine doesnt list a download for t mobile us yet.

worked like a charm on my first try,casueing much giddy schoolgirl type giggling :D

heres what it looks like,if anyone has the notion to try it:
    Code (Text):
    1. c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="Red"]adb push revone /data/local/tmp/[/COLOR]
    2. 3272 KB/s (646704 bytes in 0.193s)
    4. c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
    5. shell@android:/ $ [COLOR="red"]cd /data/local/tmp[/COLOR]
    6. cd /data/local/tmp
    7. shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ [COLOR="red"]chmod 755 revone[/COLOR]
    8. chmod 755 revone
    9. shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ [COLOR="red"]su[/COLOR]
    10. su
    11. root@android:/data/local/tmp # [COLOR="red"]./revone -P[/COLOR]
    12. ./revone -P
    13. revone successful - please reboot to continue.
    14. root@android:/data/local/tmp #
    16. [COLOR="Blue"]*physically reboot phone(dont use adb reboot)[/COLOR]
    18. c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="Red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
    19. shell@android:/ $ [COLOR="red"]cd /data/local/tmp[/COLOR]
    20. cd /data/local/tmp
    21. shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ [COLOR="red"]su[/COLOR]
    22. su
    23. root@android:/data/local/tmp # [COLOR="red"]./revone -s 0 -u[/COLOR]
    24. ./revone -s 0 -u
    25. revone successful.
    26. root@android:/data/local/tmp # [COLOR="red"]exit[/COLOR]
    27. exit
    28. shell@android:/data/local/tmp $ [COLOR="red"]exit[/COLOR]
    29. exit
    31. c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]
    33. c:\miniadb_m7>[COLOR="red"]fastboot getvar all[/COLOR]
    34. (bootloader) version: 0.5
    35. (bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.44.0000
    36. (bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.14.3250.15
    37. (bootloader) version-cpld: None
    38. (bootloader) version-microp: None
    39. (bootloader) version-main: 1.27.531.7
    40. (bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
    41. (bootloader) serialno: HTxxxxxxxxxx
    42. (bootloader) imei: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    43. (bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
    44. (bootloader) product: m7_ul
    45. (bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
    46. (bootloader) modelid: PN0713000
    47. (bootloader) cidnum: T-MOB010
    48. (bootloader) battery-status: good
    49. (bootloader) battery-voltage: 4107mV
    50. (bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
    51. (bootloader) security: off [COLOR="Blue"]<-hooray![/COLOR]
    52. (bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
    53. (bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
    54. (bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-60fafa5b0be2807a0ad050f62f94e0010
    55. getvar:all FAILED (unknown status code)
    56. finished. total time: 0.087s

Advertisement
    :
    toad6386, Recoil1, NYCHitman1 and 2 others like this.
  2. antonatron

antonatron Member

Tried revolutionary's method and worked without a hitch. I had a locked bootloader before attempting, and no issues. Now unlocked & S-OFF.

I installed TWRP and obtained root access. I did have a question regarding OTA's, is there an option to not accept OTA's, or will they not be pushed to my device without my consent?
    scotty85 likes this.
  3. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

I think it's amazing that Team Rev.io has found a way to get us all S-OFF without requiring HTCDev. This is definitely a step in the right direction. Grats to all HTC One users!
  4. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

if you stay on the stock rom,they will be pushed without consent. :eek: you will possibly be able to defer the update a few times before it forces itself upon your device. the usual result is a simple failure to install,but in the process i can leave you stuck aat a splash screen or bootloop,and in an extreme situation an unrecoverable state(bricked)

there are several things ive read to defer OTAs:
    -modify build.prop rom "fingerprint"
    -freeze "updater" file with titanium or equivalent
    -delete or rename "OTAcerts.zip" file

the best option,is to run a custom rom(even just a stock one) that will ahve un-needed files and bloat removed. custom roms are in most cases modified to not check for updates.
    antonatron likes this.
  5. ironman187

ironman187 Well-Known Member

Sick! So we can now root without using HTC Dev?
  6. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

Quite possibly. Ive Seen quite a few reports of success with stock, locked Sprint phones.

However, If it doesn't work for you, I don't think having to use HTC unlock is too big a deal, since all visual traces of it can be removed afterward.
    ironman187 likes this.
  7. gonowhere

gonowhere Well-Known Member

I will eventually do this just because we can but, its almost not that important.
  8. ironman187

The phone gets registered though, and that is what I want to avoid.
  9. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

you are correct,they prolly know your imie,serial number,and every thing else thats unique to your phone.

however... the likelyhood of them doing something with this info is slim to none. i have taked to someone who works at htc that assures me they really dont care that much. he wasnt even sure they have the ability to look that information up.

when a phone makes it to htc for repair,the check for visual signs of having been rooted(unlocked,relocked bootloader). finding them,it depends on the repairs needed,most phones are still fixed. non booting phones generally just have the motherboard/emmc replaced.

they dont try and find out if youve rooted or messed with a non-booting phone. we like to think that they are out to thwart our actions and patch our exploits,and keep us from getting our phones fixed,but the reality is that we(hackers/modders/rom flashers) are just a very small part of the phone-using community. fixing a few phones that they prolly shouldnt have is likley alot cheaper than the labor/manpower needed to catch the dishonest few.

not trying to make light of the situation,as we certainly cant make any gaurantees about what could happen(or not happen) :)
  10. ironman187

Using HTC dev voids certain parts of your warranty, so they do register your meid and cross reference it when you send the phone in for warranty replacement.
  11. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

thats contradictory to what ive heard. not arguing they have information on file,just doubting that they do any cross referencing or checking.

again,im not trying to persuade you. warranty discussions are something i typically try and avoid,as there is a fine line between returning to stock for a legitimate reason(say a malfunctioning power button or vol rocker) and trying to fraud a carrier into replacing the phone that the user himself has messed up.

if youre concerned about factory warranty,then dont root,period,wether htcdev is involved or not. android lends itself well to alot of customization with third party launchers,keyboards,etc. lots of folks enjoy a completely stock device until the factory warranty has expired.

if you want to enjoy a rooted device,make sure to carry a third party insurance,since they dont care if your phones rooted,lost,or layed at the bottom of a pool for 3 hours :eek: :D legitimate hardware issues are likely to be taked care of under factory warranty when you remove visual traces,and if you screw it up with firmware,worse case is you pay the deductible for a new phone.
  12. ironman187

They don't specifically say they keep the info on record, but HTC dev has a disclaimer stating that certain things will not be covered under warranty after using HTC dev to root. As for being afraid to root, it's easy to unroot phones and doing so does not leave a trace. As for insurance, it's generally a waste of money.
  13. AndroidSerpent

AndroidSerpent Well-Known Member

Does moonshine work with windows 8? It says there is a version to get s-off with windows but just want to make sure.
  14. AndroidSerpent

Follow up: I decided to do Moonshine and it works with Windows 8. I had a little bit of difficulty with step 1 "moonshining1" which got the phone stuck on off I rebooted manually and it continued going through the process. I manually restarted once more under "moonshining2" and after the phone automatically rebooted several times I got S-Off. I was glad that I didn't brick my phone. I know the great guys that create these exploits warn us about using it at our own peril but man this process scared me so much that only people with nerves of steel should perform it.
    ironman187 and scotty85 like this.
  15. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

thanks for the follow up. one thing to keep in mind for other folks considering using anything not recommended by the team,if you do not follow their specific directions,they may not offer any help on their IRC channel.

welcome to s off! what doesnt kill us makes us stronger :D
    AndroidSerpent likes this.
  16. AndroidSerpent

I know they have step by step instructions but they didn't have a contingency step in case phones wouldn't reboot by themselves. I read their website word for word before I started this process. I really am liking S-off, makes everything easier on me to customize.
  17. ironman187

A bit off topic, but is there a way to go back to s-on if you have achieved s-off?
  18. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

Yes. I will detail it later... Been meaning to put up a post, the real life has been getting in the way lately :mad:
  19. ironman187

No problem, I have been doing some research and found plenty of unrooting instructions, but none of them mention getting s-on back, I've been holding out for that before I finally go ahead and root.
  20. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

s on is easy,just use fastboot command:
    fastboot oem writesecureflag 3

just make sure youre on a signed hboot(not monshine,etc),and make sure youve done other neccessary changes first.

in a nutshell:
    -change lock status flag,if needed
    -change cid,if needed
    -change mid,if needed :)eek:)
    -run factory ruu
    -change secure flag to s on

in that order! well,you could mix up the first 4 a little,but s on has to be last thing you do.
  21. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

ironman187 likes this.
  22. Recoil1

Recoil1 Well-Known Member

Having trouble with the adb not being recognized. When I type adb into the cmd prompt it shows it working but when I look for a device it doesn't find any. This is also where moonshine stops after going through fastboot it looks for adb and can't seem to find the device.

Update: Never mind I tried 3 more times and even got the computer to recognize my phone on adb but I couldn't get moonshine to work so instead Revolution worked just fine. Thanks for the dump Scotty it helped.

Now S off and the tampered label is also gone. -t
    scotty85 likes this.