Two year contracts needs to be phased out

Last Updated:

1. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Any thoughts on this? Now that I'm paying more attention to specs and speeds of different phones, it's hard to believe I had the iPhone 3G for two years. The tech world is constantly changing, so wouldn't a one year contract make more sense? The only other thing I can think of aside from that is making phones more affordable off contract.

Sorry if this was poorly worded.

Advertisement
  2. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

It would make more sense for us, the consumer, sure. But it wouldn't for the phone companies, they make a ton of money off 2 year contracts, and if you want to get a new phone after 1 year, then they make even more money from your Early Termination Fee. Why would they kill the goose that lays the golden eggs? The faster new phones come out, the more ETFs they collect, and since they all just jacked that fee up even more, they win. When I bought my 3Gs last summer, it was probably one of the best phones on the market. Now it's just an also-ran that needs the jailbreak on it just to try to keep even with my buddies DInc! Of course, on the flip side, when my contract ends next year and I can get a good phone (NOT Apple!), my buddies DInc will then be an antiquated dinosaur ready for the scrapheap of history, LOL!

3. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

With Verizon you can upgrade yearly on the main line at 2 year price if you pay more then like 50 bucks a month. Which is nice..

But ideally for companies.. the two year model works. The phone price means very little, its about keeping you paying and active with the company for 2 years more then anything. It's also just how nice new things work in general.. you want, you pay!

4. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Oh wow. I did not know that about Verizon...that's a fairly generous offer. Con flabbit AT&T!

5. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

Can't you buy a new handset and put your old sim card in it?

6. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

VZW/Sprint doesn't have SIM.

7. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

I assumed that the OP was on AT&T because he had an iPhone.

8. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

And you can swap phones any time with CDMA as well, takes all of five minutes with a computer.

9. Anthony1

Anthony1 Well-Known Member

When all's said and done there's nothing free and you tend to get what you pay for.

You can have whatever length contract you want, or even no contract at all (monthly rolling)....provided you're willing to pay for the phone up front. If you want an expensive phone 'on the cheap' then you're going to get locked in to a long contract, or a short expensive one, it's as simple as that.

No offense but your post seems to come off as you wanting something without having to pay for it.

10. Akalatengo

Akalatengo Well-Known Member

At the end of it, depend in how much cash you have. It is all good to get an unbranded device every so often, but, not everyone can do this that why the long term contract "free device".

11. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Sprint has yearly upgrades if you're the primary line as well.