TwonkyServer Mobile serves your phone's pics, videos & music to DLNA Clients

Last Updated:

1. jfourman

jfourman Member This Topic's Starter

This app is sooo cool! My Droid is now a DLNA Server. I am streaming my Droid's music, pics and video to my home network's DLNA Clients: PS3, PCs, and WD TV Live....way cool!

TwonkyMedia Goes Mobile with Android Launch at CES:

TwonkyMedia Goes Mobile with Android Launch at CES | Business Wire

I downloaded and installed from the Android Market. When you first start the app, it scans your phone for media. I turned on my Droid's Wifi. The TwonkyServer Mobile was immediately visible to any DLNA or UPnP client. It took 2 minutes. No setup was involved. The UI looks pretty cool too.

Advertisement
  2. DroidJnkie

DroidJnkie Well-Known Member

I don't understand. Although I must confess that I'm somewhat of a newbie when it comes to high tech weird stuff like this.

But what is a DNLA client, and what is a twonky?

3. jfourman

DLNA stands for Digital Living Network Alliance. It is a standard protocol for interoporability of media appliances. Its most common use is for the connection of NAS appliances to Media streamers connected to your home theater gear.

I have four types of DLNA clients in my home: Windows 7/Vista PCS, PS3, Logitech Squeezebox and a WD TV Live. I store all my media (Photos, MP3s, Video) on a Buffalo Terastation Live (NAS). I run Twonky Server on the NAS and it then makes all of the media available to the clients (PCs, PS3, WDTV Live, Squeezebox).

With the TwonkyServer for Android Mobile running on my Droid, I can now stream any pic, music, or video directly from my phone to my TVs via the PS3 or WDTV Live. I turn on the PS3 and my phone is automatically listed as a media server. I click on "Video" and the videos on my phone are listed to play on my TV. I click on "Photos" and the pics on my phone show on my TV. I click on "Music" and the music on my phone is playable on my home stereo.

All I needed to do on my phone was connect to my home wifi network and start the TwonkyServer. The DLNA devices see the phone immediately.

4. DroidJnkie

DroidJnkie Well-Known Member

I see. however, I think I would prefer something that would allow me to stream something FROM my PC, TV, DVR, etc. to my phone.

Is that possible with this Twonky thing?

5. jfourman

No. Twonky only serves up the content on your phone to your other DLNA clients...not the other way.

6. jfourman

Just wanted to update information on this cool app that I received on the Droidforums:

The Twonky Server on your phone has a web interface[​IMG] on port 9000. So you can access the media on your phone from any web browser via the URL: http://<IP_of_the_phone>:9000 You are returned a web interface to the media on your phone along with some setup options...very cool.

You could now allow someone to remotely view the videos and pics on your phone from their phone or PC if you allow them through your firewall.

7. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up ... installing as I type. :)

--------------------------

Installed and working. Cool!