• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

twrp fail

af5949

Nov 17, 2016
I made a backup file of stock 5.1 before I installed CM. I went to restore stock and it` failed. twice. Some error message I think error 255 or something. So TWRP made a bogus file the FIRST time!!??
So what should I do? CM is working but honestly its no that impressive. Should I delete the restore file??
And then make a backup of CM and the download stock 5.1 ?? Is the a Windows app to install 5.1 with a cable from my PC??

its a Nexus 7 tablet 2012. I downloaded the stock Android to install just in case. How do you test your backup
before you actually restore it??
I was also having trouble with Gapps but I had the wrong set for this CM and got the correct one. Now I have Play store and Gmail and I think CM is quite a bit better than stock A. It boots faster and the swipe is smoother.
What other ROMs would be good to get?? I only use the tablet for GPS and light app use. No movie or music and nothing heavy.

Upvote 0
its a Nexus 7 tablet 2012. I downloaded the stock Android to install just in case. How do you test your backup
before you actually restore it??
I was also having trouble with Gapps but I had the wrong set for this CM and got the correct one. Now I have Play store and Gmail and I think CM is quite a bit better than stock A. It boots faster and the swipe is smoother.
What other ROMs would be good to get?? I only use the tablet for GPS and light app use. No movie or music and nothing heavy.

A Nexus 7? What version of TWRP? You definitely shouldn't be having this problem with a Nexus.

Upvote 0
latest. the restore failed. but I made some new backups from CM. Luckily it was working ok.
btw I have stock 5.1 zip now on the Nexus7....can I make a backup file out of it without actually installing it as the OS??

If you installed anything higher than CM12.1 then that's your problem. I don't think you can restore to an earlier version of Android with TWRP. You have to flash the bootloader too. Don't quote me on that though.

Upvote 0
I downloaded the zip for stock Android grouper for the Nexus 7 2012 a few minutes ago and tried to flash it back to stock from CM.It was called something like Nagaski or similar. I didnt work. CM is working ok but I wanted to go back to stock. What zip do I need to get it right??

Upvote 0
You need to go into Settings>About Device>Build Number. I need to know what bootloader you are on.

To return to stock you will need a computer with ADB/Fastboot installed.

Edit: IDK what I was thinking. Go to this thread and download Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit. It does it all for you.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766475

Last edited:
Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones