typing lags.General

Last Updated:

1. sorbet

sorbet Active Member This Topic's Starter

I use Handcent to text, and it seems to lag alot. I'm not the fastest typer in the world, so I'm not sure why this is, but it always takes a few seconds to show up what I've typed and it used to be instant.
    Is there something I can do to make it quick again?

Advertisement
  2. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

I got rid of Handcent because of the lag in scrolling and typing.

I do get some lag with the stock messaging app, but not nearly as bad. Sometimes I type so fast on the compact qwerty that the first two letters of a sentence gets capitalized!

I like the stock with sms popup. Seems to be the best option for me.

3. jeffyo

jeffyo Well-Known Member

The lag Is common no matter what program you use. Get used to it because its tonna be like that. Im typimg this post with my eris and its brutally bad. Ive already uad to constantly fix mistakes because the keyboard lags so much. again, get used to it. I dont see any mention of it yetting fixed unless someneelse knows more. I'm gonna stop fixing my typing fro noe on to showbthecrwppy quality ofbtui OS and how bad it is tobtype on while going at a moderate speed. Sometimes it comes up with craziest words to fompensae my typing. I hate talking to peowhile on my IM, BECAUSE. It does such weirdstufff. Like no spaces beyn word and lotsbof periods where there shouldnt have been. also thekeys get stuck. show symbols I have no control over. Annoyingvfeature ifbthe pyone I wish would hefizedover all otherisrles. Andy Ty l Burton seems to pretend to he thehackspace huttom. If tie didntmake a senee to you hetter type sower so our lame phones can keep up.

4. Bswartz95

:rolleyes:

5. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

I feel your pain my man Im on mine right now as well and this.Is wut comes up, relatively correct.but who knows when.It can jusy turn to shit.Im done with this kessage.and Its.still on It can jusy. so yea dude get used to your log on the keyboard unless 2.1 corre'tsk it your guna be stuck like thetest of us

6. MongolStomp

MongolStomp Well-Known Member

Hahaha reading all ofbthose made me laugh so I'm gonna type one usng mh keynote and .it crrefy a thing. It's kind ofalian in the but with kag. I rwally hope the updatw fixrs this bs causebfre I was on the erid owas a textong chalpion. Ibused to to crunch. Numbers wjth nkw probably and like an a.imal. ugh see if i wanted to type moderately that would result. I'm now typing slow waiting for a reaponse on the QWERTY kind of a bummer how many mistakes are made if you wanna bust it a bit

7. jeffyo

jeffyo Well-Known Member

We should make a thread with fast typing only for a laugh andget ebetyone to type something. It would funjybto see how many peple are yavingthe saevisse as we are. Athougj themotorola droidusers are not having thisbisse becquse they hae an actual key board.

8. ScarcelyAware

ScarcelyAware Well-Known Member

The trouble with you guys is that you're not using Swype. Check this out. Zero spelling mistakes without editing. It's also incredibly fast.

9. MongolStomp

MongolStomp Well-Known Member

Sorry if im coming off slightly ignorant and out of the loop, but I've heard of swype before but im not entirely sure what it is or how to get it...

10. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

MongolStomp - I sent you a private message

11. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

turning off the haptic feedback reduces the lag a bit. Also make sure you calibrate your phone if you haven't done so already. Other than that, it is just one of those things. It really isn't so bad once you get used to it. You have to be smarter than the machine is all.

12. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

Definitely, turn off Vibration/Haptic feedback and Sound too. There's no need for it to vibrate every time I hit a key.

Battery use and lag that I don't need.

13. Skeletronix

Skeletronix Well-Known Member

Hey all, 1st post. I had a similar problem with typing lag with Handcent. I switched to the stock message with sms pop-up and found that the combo of turning off haptic feedback as well as using the compact QWERTY resolved this issue. I'm no tech wizard but i think the phone doesn't have to predict as many possible word choices with the compact qwerty, plus the keys are bigger, which is nice. Hope that helps!

14. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Ok I will give this a try. This is me typing as fast as I can on the compact qwerty keyboard. I ambot correcting anything I type or changing anything and so far it isn't doing that bad. I will switch over to the landscape keyboard for the next paragraph and see how it does. I have noticed that in the compact qwerty it will often try and change words likt see to are and I have to pay a little but of attention to what I am doing or it will use the wrong one. NOt bad overall really.

Now this is using thr full qwerty in landscape mode. I can tell that I am typing a pot slower on this and tue lag is really noticwble. I also notice that the tx9 really does save me timewhen I type. I can really see why I don't use this that much. There are a lot more errors with this. I wonder how bad I am messing up my dictionary right now. Well it doesn't look like I have same number pf errors as others do, but I am probably not typing as fast as they are.

Ok back to the compact qwerty. Wow is this better. The difference is amazing. I can really type faster and more accurately with this than I can with any of the others. I'd you guys have not tried this, you really should. The compact qwerty with tx9 turned on is the shit. Ha ha, I just had to teach it that word.:) It even has smilies.

15. Skeletronix

Skeletronix Well-Known Member

Yeah i went back to the standard and couldn't believe how much worse it really is. The compact reminds me of my old flip phone with physical buttons. Although it was an antique by todays standards, man I could text like a mofo. Nice to get some of that back.

16. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

OF the damned, i am going to have to check out the compact qwerty....
    that's the reason i keep switching back to the droid is the fact at least i can type slightly faster.....

I just hate how my eris is always two letters behind me and my thoughts :(

I stopped using Handcent. Great customization but it lags in typing and delays in getting messages in and out

17. Bswartz95

It took me about a week to get used to the compact qwerty. The lag usually catches up quickly. The biggest "problem" I experience is that the first two letters of a sentence get capitalized instead of just the first. No big deal.

Oh yeah, I always type "id" instead of "if".

18. OfTheDamned

Shhhhh, don't let these guys know that we have thoughts. We are just supposed to look pretty, remember? ;) If we look good AND have thoughts, they will feel threatened. :D

19. OfTheDamned

Those are the same two problems I have too.

If you hit the first letter and then pause for a second before typing the next letter it will switch to lower case though. The "id" thing drives me crazy, just like Freud said it would.

20. Bswartz95

Haha! I teach Psychology. Now when I teach Freud's Psychosexual Development, I'm going to think of the id on my Eris and vice versa. Great.

21. OfTheDamned

Glad I could help in messing up your lesson plans. :D

22. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

lol you're post always make me laugh :)
    i like making boys feel threatened tho.
    it's fun watching them squirm :eek: