• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Uber, lyft, and side car

Reliability and price, I believe. Other than that, I don't know. I know they were supposed to be good for 200,000 miles or so.
Sure it's reliability and price, also that the Crowns are quite large but rather basic, there's no fancy gadgets, leather or wood. There's lots of space in the rear for passengers and luggage. Many cars only only designed to give most space for front seat passengers, and the rear is comparatively cramped. They were primarily designed for taxi use, but are popular as police vehicles as well. Crowns are certainly not executive cars.

Upvote 0
Not that I would drive one. I just know that they are popular for police and taxis. As for an electric taxi, who knows. Maybe a decent priced vehicle with a range of at least 150 miles per charge will hit the market. By that time, there will be as many charging stations for every electric car on the road making it completely usable for even a long distance road trip.

Upvote 0
In Hong Kong all taxis are Crown Comforts, it's the standard vehicle. And they are very popular in Asia for taxi use in general. Mainland Chinese cities tend to have a mix of cars for taxis, Comforts and Santanas are popular, along with other large but basic sedans. But they're always painted a certain way and have a sign, so you know it's a proper taxi. The New York City yellowcabs where always Crown Victorias AFAIK, although I believe they're going over to some kind of van based vehicle instead, more space and taller, because of disability access laws, they can take a wheelchair. My home city of Bristol was the same, they always used ordinary largish sedans for taxis, but now they've had to use things like Ford Connects or purpose built London type cabs, because of disability access laws.

Depending on local laws and jurisdictions, if you're operating as a taxi you might have to have a vehicle that can take a passenger in a wheelchair. Which rules out Teslas of course. Things like Uber and Lyft are not really taxis, hackney licensed, medallion, etc, You can't hail one down in the street, They're advanced booking via the apps. But they might still have to comply with disability access laws though, if they're taking paying passengers.

Upvote 0
They don't make Crown Victorias any more. Most of the taxis I see are minivans now, but I don't live in a city where you can hail a cab, you have to call. Police are either driving Dodge Chargers or the Ford Interceptor that is built just for police duty, not available to the general public. Not many large, comfortable, four door, rear wheel drive cars around anymore except luxury vehicles that are too expensive to be practical as fleet vehicles. The minivans seem to be a good choice, doubt if they last as long as a good old fashioned heavy metal sedan though.

Upvote 0
They don't make Crown Victorias any more. Most of the taxis I see are minivans now, but I don't live in a city where you can hail a cab, you have to call. Police are either driving Dodge Chargers or the Ford Interceptor that is built just for police duty, not available to the general public. Not many large, comfortable, four door, rear wheel drive cars around anymore except luxury vehicles that are too expensive to be practical as fleet vehicles. The minivans seem to be a good choice, doubt if they last as long as a good old fashioned heavy metal sedan though.

In the UK regular hackney carriage taxis have had to go to minivans, like the Ford Connect, because of the disability laws. And just so everyone is clear :) ...the Crown Victoria is a Ford, and the Crown Comfort is a Toyota, which are still being made and very common in Asia, especially as taxis.
HK_Toyota_Comfort_Four_Seats_Taxi.jpg

Crown Comfort HK taxi, and many of them are LPG powered now.

Where I am, there can be as many taxis on the road as there are private cars. Thing is here, taking a taxi is very cheap, maybe equivalent of $1-$2 to get very much anywhere in Xilinhot. The buses stop at 7PM, so if you don't drive or want to cycle or walk, very much have to take a taxi to go anywhere in the evening. Same for most smaller Chinese cities. Owning your own car can be relatively expensive.

The Crown Comfort is quite an old fashioned square looking car by modern curvy standards, and is rear wheel drive. But it was designed to carry people and their luggage, do high stop/start mileages, be reliable and last a long time, and they're often on the go 24/7. There's also a version with a bench front seat and column gear change, so it can take 6 people safely. Most sedans were only designed to take 5 people.

800px-Chinese_police_VW_9442.JPG

Typical Chinese police VW.

Chinese police are mostly using things like VW sedans, although various SUV type vehicles are popular as well, especially Toyotas and Nissans.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
This is what I see on the road most of the time lately:

Ford Police Interceptor Fastest in Certification Testing » AutoGuide.com News

They were buying the Dodge Chargers for a while, but I think they have proven to not be as reliable. There was an article in the paper a while back where one of the local sheriffs was saying the officers liked driving them because they looked cool, but they were in the shop more than they were on the road lol. I guess these Interceptors have more interior room for gear and stuff, too.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Interesting thing with Chinese police, and other emergency services like fire and rescue, is that they don't often use Chinese branded vehicles. China makes a lot of vehicles and there are many brands, like DongFeng(East Wind), BeiJing, BYD, ChangCheng(Great Wall), SAIC, etc. The local police mostly use VW, and the fire department has Mercedes Benz fire trucks. German engineering and reassurance. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Them chargers are amazing. Especially the SRT hellcat ones with the 707 HP from the challenger. It's like the 2nd fastest 4door sedan ever built.

I don't know if the police use that one, be pretty awesome I'd they did.

Too much power for a uber driver. I still have to wait until 2017 to be an independent driver. That's when I'm 21.

By then, I'm still thinking. Nissan leaf. If gas prices are still low, and electric cars are still unpopular in innovation, possible I'll think of a nice Ford Taurus... The new police interceptors are based on the 2013-14 Taurus.

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
I think the US would make a lot of leaf cars if everyone was to go with solar installation in the homes or if leaf charging spots was a demand . love the new dodge but can't understand why law enforcement in certain city and states drive different cars , these new V8 are not in the Northeast city or states yet or as we speak. They wont allow these cars in states or city cause of population. This is very funny cause our state police still got the Chevy and fords and maybe 3 dodge . I heard and seen Delaware has jeeps as state troopers vehicles what can you chase in a Chevy jeep

Upvote 0
Most cops used to use the Crown Vic. Now that they don't make them anymore, departments and taxi companies moved to other cars. I think it may have been Ford's Biggest mistake is stoppnig the production of it.

Nissan, as I recently read, they stopped production of batteries for their cars, and partnered with another company, I think a division of LG for them to make their batteries. Hopefully this will provide innovation for their batteries for longer distances. If they can market the car well, and make people want to switch to the car, then their will be a demand for the charging stations.

Upvote 0
Them chargers are amazing. Especially the SRT hellcat ones with the 707 HP from the challenger. It's like the 2nd fastest 4door sedan ever built.

I don't know if the police use that one, be pretty awesome I'd they did.

Too much power for a uber driver. I still have to wait until 2017 to be an independent driver. That's when I'm 21.

By then, I'm still thinking. Nissan leaf. If gas prices are still low, and electric cars are still unpopular in innovation, possible I'll think of a nice Ford Taurus... The new police interceptors are based on the 2013-14 Taurus.

Hellcat? How about dat Tesla P85D?

Upvote 0
Hellcat? How about dat Tesla P85D?
Haha, there's a big price difference. Hellcat is around $40k Tesla big $90k.

I think that for electric cars today, there aren't enough charging stations around for it to be realistic to go across the country whole country. When it is, then it's time to buy. Sometime I plan to drive to Nevada, and I can't do that in a electric car. Not yet. (yes I know a Tesla can do it but not a normal people car)

Maybe that will have changed when I'm allowed to be an uber driver in 2017. But I will have to go against what I always said to myself... I said I would never buy a gas powered car. I might have to go against that. But maybe, if my Taurus can hold up until March, my dad will be able to help me buy a car, and I can take out a loan for a used Nissan leaf, which go for around $13k it will be able to get me from school to home. However there's a big big big big problem.... I don't have a garage. And during the winter, it can't stay with me.

My dad is interested in cars as much as I am.. He has one. Maybe during the winter we can switch. He gets the prividilige of not paying for gas during the winter, and my leaf will stay unfrozen.

Sorry, just thinking out loud. Blah blah blah.

Upvote 0
Haha, there's a big price difference. Hellcat is around $40k Tesla big $90k.

I think that for electric cars today, there aren't enough charging stations around for it to be realistic to go across the country whole country. When it is, then it's time to buy. Sometime I plan to drive to Nevada, and I can't do that in a electric car. Not yet. (yes I know a Tesla can do it but not a normal people car)

Maybe that will have changed when I'm allowed to be an uber driver in 2017. But I will have to go against what I always said to myself... I said I would never buy a gas powered car. I might have to go against that. But maybe, if my Taurus can hold up until March, my dad will be able to help me buy a car, and I can take out a loan for a used Nissan leaf, which go for around $13k it will be able to get me from school to home. However there's a big big big big problem.... I don't have a garage. And during the winter, it can't stay with me.

My dad is interested in cars as much as I am.. He has one. Maybe during the winter we can switch. He gets the prividilige of not paying for gas during the winter, and my leaf will stay unfrozen.

Sorry, just thinking out loud. Blah blah blah.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/7-reasons-why-you-really-dont-want-own-2015-hellcat-challenger

They START at 60k. Model S starts at 67k.97 for the performance model..

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones