• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root UD2.5: a looong time to get back to home screen

(G)

Android Expert
Dec 16, 2009
Minnetonka, MN
www.gleone.com
I just rooted a few weeks ago, so I'm still a noob and am hoping some of you experienced folks could shed some insight.

I'm running an OG Droid with UD2.5 (which is running the built in ADW Launcher). I've moved almost every app I can to the SD card (figuring I'd give the launcher more head room), but 4 out of 5 times, when I go back to the home screen (via "back" key or "home" key), it takes over 10 seconds for my homescreen to repopulate.

If I do a battery pull or reboot, even after a minute, the first time I swipe to switch screens, I ALWAYS get a force close.

I'm only running 4 widgets (weather, countdown, cal widget and Set CPU widget).

What else do you need to know?

Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Have you gone into Performance Settings and Locked Home in Memory?

Thar be dragons! :) Actually I stayed out of that area until just now. I'll give it a shot and see how it works.

I have also found that setting the VM Heap to 24 helped my homescreen redraw speed.

Mine was already set to 24, so I'll leave it there and see.

I don't use ADW but LauncherPro. You may look for ADW settings about using homescreen caches and building caches as needed.

This is something I'm not understanding. Isn't ADW "built in" to UD2.5? And wouldn't running an alternate launcher just add that much more stress to the processor?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones