Ugh...2100 mAh extended battery "rattles"Support

Last Updated:

1. Andrew725

Andrew725 Active Member

I'm not sure why I never noticed this before, but I decided to give my LTE GNex with 2100 mAh extended battery installed a little shake and what do you know, I hear a loud rattle. So I pull the back off and realize the battery isn't fully snug. It is slightly undersized in width for the compartment -- I can wiggle the battery around in there with my finger and see some play. Not enough to affect the connection, but enough to cause the rattle.

Solved with a bit of electrical tape on the battery, but wow that's disappointing. I'm hoping it's just my phone, maybe I overheated the battery one day and it warped the plastic of the housing or something.

2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I have the side-to-side rattle, too.

I have Tiny Flashlight, which conveniently turns on the LED as a flashlight with a shake of the phone. The electrical tape is a great idea and the only fix that I can think of. Good thing that the connection isn't affected: I'd hate to think the phone loses power everytime I want a flashlight! :p

I guess we can chalk it up to fudge factor. My SWAG is that the manufacturer went a little small to make sure that the battery still fit in the event of heat expansion. I fear, though, that if the battery ever gets THAT hot, we'll have more problems than a rattle.
    Andrew725 likes this.
  3. Andrew725

Andrew725 Active Member

Thanks for verifying Chief. And you're right, I'd have worse problems if my battery is overheating ha ha. Just to note that the standard battery doesn't do this, although I agree that a larger capacity battery may need more of a size tolerance in the battery compartment.
  4. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

Mine doesn't rattle at all (even though I don't find the need for the ext battery), but does have a small gap (as reported by some here) just below the camera lens. Easy fix with some tape either atop the battery or on the underside of the cover, although it shouldn't have to be that way. I had to perform a similar fix on my Inc and Eris (for creaks). Darn plastics :p
  5. Tonckawa

Tonckawa Member

I also don't have a rattle with mine. Had for a week now. Used the back panel that came with it. No rattles, no problems. Longer battery life. Love it.
  6. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Mine doesnt rattle but it has a creak in it on the back cover if I don't have a case on. Luckily I always have a case on but it's still not cool. I went into Verizon a couple times to exchange it both times they were a little rude about it( saying they thought it was in spec and it's not that big of a deal) and didn't have the battery in stock to exchange .
  7. truelove79

truelove79 Well-Known Member

Haha, mine does this too. It's not very loud at all and I would have never noticed this on my own. I have to shake it pretty hard to get it to rattle. Thought I wouldn't even call it a rattle. It's more of a muffled thud thud thud as the battery rocks back and forth in its "spot".
  8. Synysterxx

Synysterxx Well-Known Member

Question, do you need a bigger battery cover for the extended, or is it just plug right in and play.
  9. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Yes , it comes with a slightly larger back cover.. Some people say the stock cover fits over the extended but I could not get it to latch all the way with the stock cover .
  10. krouget

krouget Well-Known Member

Mine has the same rattle problem, as a result of not being adequately wide enough to fit the battery bay, too. I "solved" it with a similar method, though I'm still a bit annoyed at the creak which results from depressing the battery cover, at times.
  11. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

If you're concerned about extra thickness of the extended battery, keep in mind that the ext battery and supplied cover add a whopping 0.5mm thickness to the Nexus. Something to consider... but it still fits my car dock just fine and hopefully will also fit the horizontal dock. IF the dock ever gets released :rolleyes:
  12. Mine doesn't rattled.
    Crashumbc likes this.
  13. dguy

dguy Well-Known Member

No rattle with mine at all either.
  14. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

Absolutely no rattle here.
  15. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

My stock battery cover fits as well as the extended battery cover.
  16. byrds8

byrds8 Well-Known Member

The battery cover that comes with the extended battery is the cause of it rattling slightly. If you put the stock cover on it it doesnt rattle.
  17. clb2196

clb2196 Well-Known Member

I don't notice any rattling with my extended battery, with the extended cover. Even if I shake it really hard, it's very solid. If I take the cover off and try to wiggle it, it's wedged totally solid and I can't move it. Maybe it's just manufacturing differences.
  18. ymDroid

ymDroid Well-Known Member

Never noticed, until I installed tiny flashlight.

But yes there is a rattle with the extended which seems common.
  19. krouget

krouget Well-Known Member

That's not what he's talking about.

It's very specifically the physical size of the extended battery, not filling the OEM battery bay. With no cover attached, you can slightly shift the battery around with your finger, as an example. It's remedied with his tape solution, where you can "fill" the remaining space, in order to stop it from moving around (slight as it is, but noticeable).

Also, for me, the stock cover bends around the extended battery, making it more convex (almost as if it's ready to pop off).