Ugh Dropped PhoneGeneral

Last Updated:

1. XgeorgeX

XgeorgeX Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I got my Eris on Wednesday and dropped it today and oh boy did I mess it up. It feel from about wast level, I'm 5'8 so it wasn't that high. I even slid my foot out to stop a direct hit to the ground which was successful. However this didn't help at all. The entire screen shattered but the phone still works. I know I should have a case for it but in the 9 years of having a cell phone this is the first one I dropped one. I was planning on getting one but haven't had the time to go out and get one yet. Anyways I though the Eris had the gorilla glass that was basically unbreakable. It doesn't seem like a fall from waste hight, slowed down by my foot, onto the linoleum floor at the food store would destroy the screen. The cracks start at the corner and spider web through the whole screen. Everything I've read about people dropping the phone said it never broke. I am wondering if the screen might actually be defective, probably not but I'm grasping at straws to avoid the insurance deductible. Good thing I have insurance on the phone.

Advertisement
  2. rigamrts

rigamrts Well-Known Member

yeah it happens but it has to hit right with enough force. cases help but still would allow breakage if it hits just right. haven't done it to mine but someone else had it happen here. take it back it should be covered

3. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Well-Known Member

This thread reminded me to get the insurance. I got my Eris from Amazon and insurance wasn't on the list of options. The insurance option goes away after you have had the phone for 30 days.

4. Roaddog

Roaddog Well-Known Member

I've actually had a case on mine (without insurance) for 3 months. Today I took it off and have been carrying it around without. The cases completely ruin the form factor for me and I LOVE how it feels/looks without one. After reading this thread though, I'm gonna go pop it back on.

5. varkie

varkie Well-Known Member

i'm 5'7" and i dropped mine from chest high in a parking lot and it landed full force on the bottom edge. the back fell off but it did no other damage so i was pretty lucky. no insurance either but i like living on teh edge lol

6. sabakawasaki

sabakawasaki Active Member

i dropped my phone off the corner of a concrete stair about one month after I first got it. The screen shattered but the phone was still fully functional. I kept using it with my bluetooth headset. I was absolutely amazed that the touch screen still worked just as it had before. Thankfully I have the black tie protection from best buy and they replaced the phone the next day free of charge. Saved my ass!

7. smittythepig

smittythepig Well-Known Member

nope, eris doesn't have the gorilla glass apparently. and while strong, the gorilla glass is by no means unbreakable anyway. just stronger than regular glass. a number of people on these forums have shattered and scratched it.

8. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

loving my otterbox i just got, very nice, haven't dropped it with this case yet, but anything can happen.

sorry to hear you guys' problems.

9. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

were you able to get the screen protector on with no problems?

10. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

eh, it had a teeny crease at the top, no worries, i had a few extra vzw ones, looks fine now :)