Uh Oh...SD cardSupport

Last Updated:

1. turbomentor

turbomentor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Forum friends, I have a serious SD card data crisis.

Have been using an 8 MB SD card since I got my DINC (release day). No issues/problems. Stored most of my media on said card, to include hundreds of photos, mainly of races (triathlons/marathons etc) and family pictures (holidays etc).

Was trying to access my gallery this weekend at a family gathering and lo and behold, I had an SD card "issue". Error message said "mounted as read only". Used explorer and all my picture folders were corrupted (folder names were gobbledeegook names...mostly symbols etc.

Got home and plugged my SD card into my PC and ran command line chkdsk which found "errors" (no kidding!). In the process to fix the errors, I ?guess? that Windows simply deleted the data it couldn't interpret (to include ALL of my beloved pics).

Does anyone know of any way that I might possibly be able to recover any of that data? Now I'm not having "mounted read only errors" but NONE of my file folders where pics were show up on the SD card.

I have a feeling I'm screwed, but was hoping someone might have some encouraging advice for me...

Advertisement
  2. nkk

nkk Well-Known Member

Yes. Get ubuntu and put it on a usb drive. Boot your computer from usb. Then, use the scalpel command.

Recover Deleted Files With Scalpel | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials is an ok tutorial. PM me if you need more guidance. Do NOT install ubuntu on your computer. DO NOT do anything else with that sd card if you want to do this. Both Windows and Mac have a habit of taking preliminary actions on file systems they think are corrupted.

Nkk

3. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

4. turbomentor

turbomentor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks a bazillion. Its a slow process since I work a lot.

OK, I've got ubuntu on my USB and have successfully booted into it. However, I've never used ubuntu before and scalpel seems pretty complex. Assure me that if I follow the tutorial you posted I'm not going to brick my 'puter or my SD card lol...

I may PM you if I can't figure it out. And thanks again.

5. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

i've never used scalpel personally, but you definitely won't "brick" your pc as it's running off the thumb drive, therefore it's not even using your pc's hard drive, the entire OS is contained on the thumb drive. And your SD card can't get into any worse shape than it already is.