• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root uh oh.....what happened

JrzDroid

Android Expert
Nov 30, 2009
NJ
SO, I'm running Aloysius Snow with Sense removed and JIT enabled. Everythign was cool until about 45 minutes ago, my phone rebooted and stayed on the three Androids on skateboards screen. I've done some battery pulls and tried to get into recovery but, it still just stays on the skateboard screen.
I sent a text and the phone just rebooted.
I got into fastboot and selected recovery but it just goes to the skateboard screen still.

Am I f*cked?
i mean bricked?

SO, I'm running Aloysius Snow with Sense removed and JIT enabled. Everythign was cool until about 45 minutes ago, my phone rebooted and stayed on the three Androids on skateboards screen. I've done some battery pulls and tried to get into recovery but, it still just stays on the skateboard screen.
I sent a text and the phone just rebooted.
I got into fastboot and selected recovery but it just goes to the skateboard screen still.

Am I f*cked?
i mean bricked?

Will it go into HBOOT? (Vol-down+End/Power)

If you can get the bootloader running, you can get your phone back (unless the phone got fried from to much OC'ing).

Just curious, were you starting SetCPU right at boot? If so, what do you think the ondemand Max Clock was set to?

eu1

Upvote 0
no, was not Set at boot, yes i can get into bootloader
max clock was 768

Well, the rescue procedure of last resort is to.... wait for it... wait for it... re-root your phone (without using the battery pull trick!), and re-install the recovery partition. Allowing the full flash rather than just the bootloader allows the flash memory on the phone to be completely reconstructed.

I think you know where the instructions for that are ;)

Before you go down that route, though, you might want to try to just reflash the recovery only, and see what happens from there.

If you get back up and running you might consider backing off from 768 Mhz. The thing about timing errors (which happen when OC'ing gets too high) is that they are statistically dependent on clock rate - so if you are just "a smidge" too fast, you can run for weeks without errors, and then all of a sudden, the phone glitches.

eu1

Upvote 0
Well, the rescue procedure of last resort is to.... wait for it... wait for it... re-root your phone (without using the battery pull trick!), and re-install the recovery partition.

I think you know where the instructions for that are ;)

Before you go down that route, though, you might want to try to just reflash the recovery only, and see what happens from there.

If you get back up and running you might consider backing off from 768 Mhz. The thing about timing errors (which happen when OC'ing gets too high) is that they are [I}statistically[/I] dependent on clock rate - so if you are just "a smidge" too fast, you can run for weeks without errors, and then all of a sudden, the phone glitches.

eu1

i'll try it out and let ya know =]

Upvote 0
reflashing the recovery was a fail

Sorry, please elaborate: it would or wouldn't boot into recovery after the reflashing? Or did the actual process of reflashing fail somehow? (Did you see any error messages during the flashing process?)

BTW, I left it out because I thought it would be apparent - I was anticipating that if you got the recovery to boot, you would be restoring a Nandroid backup.

Just wondering, if this thing is fried, if i call verizon and tell them that the phone just rebooted and would never leave that screen, would they be able to tell?

Hard to say. The thing you need to keep in mind is that when a customer's phone dies, it is pretty unlikely that they dispatch a team of computer forensics experts to diagnose what went wrong. More likely they just chuck it in the trash and chalk it up to the cost of doing business. (HTC or VZW probably do *sample* a small quantity of handsets that have failed to see if they notice similar failure behaviors. Think of it as being like the "audit rate" with the IRS).

JrzDroid said:
trying to re-root the phone now

Did anything happen that was unusual during this procedure? Any strange messages zip by on the screen?

eu1

Upvote 0
That is truly bizzare

Well, here's a couple more last-ditch voodoo kinds of things you could try:

Pull the battery out, leave it out for 2 minutes. Make sure USB is unplugged so there is no source of power to the phone. Depress every button one at a time while the battery is out.

Pull the SD card, re-insert the battery and see if you can reboot.

It occurs to me that if flashing seems to work OK, and you decide to return it to VZW, the last thing you might do before you hand it over is to flash Leak-V3 in place. That eliminates your worries above. I would try everything in your power to see if it will come back to life first, though, as you may not receive a rootable phone as a replacement.

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones