UI lag

Last Updated:

1. Russellmaniakw

Russellmaniakw Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

A few reviews now and most videos I've seen have shown that there seems to be frequent lag when viewing the homescreen (when swiping through screens, scrolling through apps, pulling down the notification bar, etc.) despite the fact that the Droid runs apps flawlessly. What gives here? For a platform this powerful there should be zero lag when navigating basic menus.

I'm choosing android and most likely this phone over the iPhone because I love the idea of having multiple, customizable homescreens, but it would suck if that feature was laggy as hell. Why is this even an issue with Android 2.0. I've played with the Hero a bit and even with its more graphics intensive interface it seems smoother at the homescreen than what i've seen of 2.0.

Is this still a problem for 1.5 and 1.6 vanilla android as well? Can anyone with a mytouch 3g weigh in maybe?

Advertisement
  2. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

FWIW, I would expect a SW update released "shortly" after the droid comes out - before the end of the year, or January at the latest would be my guess, and it will likely address some of the Droid issues that have been mentioned, like camera focus problems, some intermittent lag on the home screen, etc.

People on HoFo have been seeing later Android releases than the shipping version, so I don't think the wait will be long.

3. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

How do things like this not get fixed in beta testing? It's not as if the home screen is an obscure feature no one uses.

4. ejl2010

ejl2010 Well-Known Member

yeah, I hope they fix this lag. I'm glad that the gizmodo review actually acknowledged it compared to the many reviews before which gloss right over that.

It will piss me off a little bit but it's just not as impressive to show off for other potential users.

5. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Why this wasn't fixed in beta testing likely relates to a couple of things:

- Bigger, nastier bugs to quash
    - Complexity/Riskiness of fixing the lag before release was too great

The lag isn't really that significant from what I've seen in videos - it gets a little jerky, but it's not really bad, at least in the videos I've seen.

I don't think we need to worry about this, really...a 2.1 (and 2.2 and 2.3 and so on) releases will be coming to address things they couldn't fit into the first release.

6. Teufel Hunden

Teufel Hunden Active Member

Im kinda anal about this sort of thing, but I definitely dont think it will be a deal breaker. This will be my first android phone so I hope they pound out the kinks in the OS and don't leave us hanging (read: BlackBerry).

7. Russellmaniakw

Russellmaniakw Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

While I agree that this is something that will eventually be fixed in an update, it really is unacceptable for them to release this phone with this problem. This is a front and center issue and the first thing users will notice when they start playing with their new "iphone killer". Say what you want about the iphone, but the 3gs is smooth as silk. If moto wants to compete with the iphone then they need to realize that "they'll fix it in an update" is not going to cut it forever. I mean we're only talking about vanilla android here on the most powerful android phone ever made, so there's no excuse for the lag.

8. Telexen

Telexen Well-Known Member

Get a grip guys...it's not like it takes 2 seconds and shows 4 different frame positions...

It's actually not bad AT ALL. I couldn't care less.

9. tarponbeach

tarponbeach Well-Known Member

I would trade a slightly slow UI for the ability to actually make calls, which is what I cannot do on my iPhone 3Gs on AT&T.