• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help UK 2.1 update in UAE - service drops on call answer

beflythis

Mar 29, 2010
Hi fellow 'stonerz,

After manually flashing the UK 2.1 update on my Milestone (purchased online through souq.com - I checked the code on my device which tells me it's in the EU model), I've been experiencing the most frustrating issue ever...

Randomly when I make or receive calls (some not all), the call rings, and then upon answer, my service drops instantly. I get the grey call screen with no contact name/number, and no picture. I can't end the call, but instead have to return to the home screen and then open the phone dialer again. The 'call' doesn't even get logged in the phone.

I guessed that since I bought an EU model, that I'd require a UK update and it would work compatibly. Going to try flashing another version tonight and see what happens, but if anyone has a solution or experience with this issue, advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

beflythis

So I just yesterday discovered the solution - it wasn't an incompatible update, but my auto-task killer (I was using ES task manager).

The time after making a call was the same amount of time the phone usually goes to sleep (i.e. engaging the task killer, which was in turn cutting my service and ending the call).

Simple solution - FYI for anyone have the same issue. I disabled the auto task killer, and the issue resolved itself.

(laugh away ;).

beflythis

Upvote 0
Why you guys bothering with flashing? as far as my phone is concerned I just opted for manually check update and got them within a week of announcement. Maybe lucky? but i even got the latest bug fix one, which definitely fixed the damn alarm bug! I did buy the phone via a local satwa store here in the UAE though and it had the market place in by default too. Warrantied by techno care.

Upvote 0
pspres- I did get a data cut-off after my recent flash. Some .sbf flashes wipe the network data access settings on your phone... I tweeted @dutweets for the settings, and they gave me this link:

You can check here for the APN settings: MMS Settings for Hero/Magic/Dream on UAE du network | Facebook (if you're with du) - you can also google "etisalat APN settings" and find forums with the info; i think etisalat might also have it available on their website.

go into wireless-> network access-> APN -> and create a new APN entry if there isn't one, entering those settings from the link. You should get data immediately.

At first my phone was only giving me EVDO / 2G, so in the same network access menu, I just toggled "only allow 2g" on/off to kick-start it back into 3g. It occasionally kicks me back to 2G, and I just perform this toggle (via switchpro widget) quickly to re-enable 3G.

ace - I got my milestone in february off souq before it was sold here. Sounds like you lucked out with the local version bought; i definitely had no such luck with my OTA updates (although the market works fine).

besides, im sort of a power user and enjoy updating / tweaking shit myself anyways.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones