• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

UK Nexus + Network choice

fryarch

Lurker
Dec 24, 2009
Hi there,

Just a quick couple of questions, hopefully not too much repetition here, im in UK, definatley want the nexus as it looks a beast and the people saying its not lived upto the hype are the people who overhyped it in the first place!!

From everyones posts it looks like an import nexus from US will prob end up being about

Hey,
I was just wondering if anyone knew Vodafone is going to be the only UK carrier, or is T-mobile uk going to be another carrier as i know they are one in USA. anyone knows please reply

thanks
According to the Google page it looks like Vodafone has snagged the UK rights to the phone. I assume you are taking the fact that T-Mobile US have the rights over there that it should just flow over here through into T-Mobile UK? It doesn't appear to work like that with mobile phone exclusivity deals.
Vodafone must have guaranteed an amount of unit sales up front and have possibly made some tie-in so that it has exclusive rights for a certain amount of time.

Upvote 0
I'd be interested in knowing people's gut feelings on when the UK will get their own Nexus store on google. There's been no hints, so whatever you feel in your bones ;)
I have a feeling you might see it as early as next week based on the fact that Vodafone are going to start selling the N1 within a few weeks. Google wouldn't have it so Vodafone are selling it without them (Google) having their own UK specific site setup.
See here: Vodafone says will sell Google smartphone within weeks - Yahoo! News

Upvote 0
More vague info but does confirm Vodaphone as carrier
Google Nexus One On Vodafone - Vodafone eForum.

Not sure I like the sound of this tho'
>>Q. Will Vodafone have a specific Google tariff or is it likely to be the kind of tariff Vodafone offers for smartphones?

A. The price plan will be similar to those Vodafone offers for its wide range of smartphones<<

Methinks unlocked will be the way to go - limited internet isn't going to be of much use with the nexus, in which case why bother with Vodaphone at all.

Upvote 0
I'd be interested in knowing people's gut feelings on when the UK will get their own Nexus store on google. There's been no hints, so whatever you feel in your bones ;)

Just read this on the vodafone eforum

from vodafone eforum said:
Noticed yesterday that i am due an upgrade at the end of this month and have been following the nexus one rumours in Nov... so, thought yesterday i'd check up on it.

To my surprise it was offically launched in US just a few hours previous!! Delighted.

Then today, just chancing my arm, i called the Vodafone sales team and asked the girl when the VF release date was. After about 30 secs typing, she said ''Its available for you to select for your upgrade on the 3rd of Feb!!''

Couldnt believe how easy it was to get that info!! Just thought i'd come on here and share it with you guys/girls!

*EDIT** - my upgrade date is confirmed as 21st of Jan, just incase you think thats what she meant!!

I also just got off the phone myself from a nice man at vodafone.

Apparently my upgrade date is the end of January so I could also upgrade then as above. But he told me the minimum contract would probably be

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the info on when it's coming to UK! I just hope price is comparable to the US (including the VAT I would have to have added) otherwise I'll have waited days for nothing. Will just be feeling up those links you all posted shortly ;)
*does an excited dance* so glad i didn't buy the Samsung Galaxy, I'm so excited about getting my first android phone!

edit: question! does anyone have any info as to how OS updates will be handled for those buying unlocked? I'm planning on going with an o2 sim only deal, but if they're definitely not going to be offering the N1, how will I get them? I suppose that question goes for all US customers buying unlocked too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones