UK UsersGeneral

Last Updated:

1. RobFisher

RobFisher Member This Topic's Starter

The G1 was out in the UK today. Are there any UK users on this forum?

I've got mine and am very impressed with the device. Mainly that everything works smoothly and quickly. I love the notification bar, too. GPS works well, considering I'd seen some reviews saying it wasn't that great.

But there do seem to be some things missing in the UK. Obviously we don't have Street View yet, but I've seen the Google car driving around so it's only a matter of time! But where is the iSkoot app? And where is Spare Parts? I thought this app would enable the compass, which would be handy.

Has anyone spotted any other UK differences? The good news is that the 3G seems very fast indeed.

Advertisement
  2. Poundex

Poundex Member

Tried to get mine today. Rang round every T-Mobile shop and Carphone Warehouse in the NE - they either didn't have any or they only had white ones. In the end I bought one off Carphone Warehouses's website - should be able to pick it up from there tomorrow (hopefully) or Saturday.

3. davcham9

davcham9 New Member

I went into the t-mobile store in Scarborough today where they kindly told me i was declined the upgrade :mad:. With no explanation i decided to ring t-mobile and my new G1 will now arrive at my home tomorrow :).

4. RobFisher

I think going to the T-Mobile shop at 8.40am really helped me...

5. Poundex

Poundex Member

Did you get a black one from a T-Mo shop? They told me they weren't getting them until next week (the entire country).

However...
    I shouldn't get too excited though. It'll probably be mid-next week before my number gets ported accross from Orange and I can actually use the phone.

6. Masonator

Masonator Well-Known Member

I ended up getting mine in white. Looks cool though, still happy with it.

Amazon MP3 stores missing, some games and apps... also, doesn't the US model come with MSN and AIM?

7. Poundex

Poundex Member

Don't know about the IM but Amazon UK have said their MP3 service is "coming soon" - although it's been coming soon for quite a while now.

8. cred05

cred05 Well-Known Member

9. bonh

bonh Active Member

orly? thats weird... we didnt get any white ones in the US.

10. RobFisher

I got the black one, and the other guy in the shop got a white one. I think they had stock in each colour but the black one is probably more popular. The girl in the shop told me that they just had "a normal amount" of stock, so it seems like they didn't get in large volumes in anticipation of demand.

11. busipaln

busipaln New Member

Got a Black one. Plenty in stock at T-mobile in Watford ;)

12. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland New Member

I was soo close to buying one yesterday, the Black one looks ok and it was so much fun to play with, I played with one for about 45 mins and its great but I'm just worried about the battery life and also a bit concerned that the G1 hardware isn't great.

13. Tabasco

Tabasco Member

I ordered one from their CS hotline as I went to my local shop (Oxford) and called the surronding towns (High Wycombe, Milton Keynes and Alyesbury) but they only had white ones in stock.

A couple of them told me that all shops (in the South?) only had white ones and the black ones are due to arrive in about 2 weeks....

Had a play on the rep's G1 (his was black!!) and it was so much fun!. My due to arrive on Tuesday. Can't wait!

Anyway, I am wondering what plan you guys got from T-Mobile. I had to play

14. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland New Member

I think I will take it on Combi 35 although I am a little hesitant to commit to an 18 month contract, I'm trying to choose between the G1 and the Blackberry Bold.
    I'm a bit hesitant to commit to something so new.

15. Tabasco

Tabasco Member

Then wait for the Blackberry Storm instead. Had I not ordered my PAC, I would have waited to see how the Storm does and then make a decision.

G1 is just interesting enough for me to take the plunge.

16. N3TWORK BURN3R

N3TWORK BURN3R Well-Known Member

Hey fellas, ive seen some pictures of the UK G1 and the US G1 and i see a few differences in the hardware. Is it possible we can setup a small guide to tell the differences apart? What do you guys think?

17. Poundex

Poundex Member

Sure - what did you have in mind?

Is everyone else in the UK only on RC7 aswell?

18. treb0r

treb0r New Member

I picked up a black G1 from the Bradford T-mobile shop on Thursday morning. Here are my thoughts:

1) After years as a Linux user trying to sync my blackberry, I love the Mail, Contacts and Calendar synchronisation - it works really well, and I can't imagine going back to blackberry. People who moan about the lack of MS Exchange etc are severely missing the point of the Android OS.

2) Battery life while not great, is not too bad after a few days use. I'm hoping things will improve further in the future as they tighten up the software. If not, I'll be snagging an extended battery when available. Battery life is not a deal breaker for me with this handset.

3) The browser is outstanding, and works well over GPRS. I'm blown away with being able to browse real web pages from my phone. Already found it useful in many ways.

4) Connectbot is awesome too, especially for us Linux geeks. I'm a web developer, and the ability to get to a Bash shell on my server in an emergency is just priceless.

5) Music player is awesome, and because the handset mounts as an external drive in Linux, I have no problems copying over my tunes.

All in all, great. I wish the battery would last longer, but then we can't expect everything on a version 1.

19. carlosbish

carlosbish New Member

I'm so glad to find UK Android users :).

I just wanted to confirm my hesitation question, is the UK ANDROID MARKET different than the US ANDROID MARKET ?.

I was looking for iSkoot (Skype) and i couldnt find it, in the iskoot website it says that it was released on the Android Market !!!.

Is that possible that the market is region dependent ?

Cheers,

Carlos , add me IM bisharaihab@gmail.com

20. RobFisher

Poundex: yep, I'm on RC7. Certainly the version numbers are different between US and UK. No news on any updates, perhaps RC7 is equivalent to the latest US software.

treb0r: ConnectBot: oh yes, very handy!

N3TWORK BURN3R: What differences did you spot? I was under the impression that they were identical.

21. RobFisher

It does seem slightly different. It might be that developers can specify regions when they release their apps, and iSkoot is US only. In the UK I think 3 (the phone network, Three) uses iSkoot for their "Skype phones". That could explain it. But it's all just speculation.

I also can't find the "Spare Parts" application. Anyone spot any other differences?

And have people tried the various bar code scanning apps? ShopSavvy is good at finding books, CDs and games online, but I haven't seen any local listings yet. Is the other one better?