Ulocking Hero to change esn... Illegal???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. jdjd2020

jdjd2020 New Member This Topic's Starter

MOST LAWS ON THE SUBJECT READ SOMETHING LIKE THIS:

It is a crime to use a telecommunications device, as defined, intending to avoid the payment of any lawful
    charge for service to the device, or to possess or manufacture a
    telecommunications device with intent to sell or offer to sell the
    device to another, intending to avoid the payment of any lawful
    charge for service to the device.

WHERE DOES IT SAY YOU CAN'T CHANGE AN ESN??? It says you cant IF you are going to commit a fraud--then it
    could be illegal, but changing the ESN on your OWN property to use on
    your OWN line that you pay for seems OK. What am I missing?

Sprint's official line is that "Android phones wont work on legacy plans". So there's no extra charge for android. someone might like to have an android phone on a legacy or SERO plan and would need to change the ESN to activate it, but theres no "intent to avoid a lawful charge for service" is there?? So where is the illegality??

Advertisement
  2. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

Yes, it is illegal. It's called "fraud."

3. infamousjax

infamousjax Well-Known Member

highly, highly, highly illegal...

like 'pound-me-in-the-ass' prison-like illegal.

just don't.

4. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

Being "illegal" would mean there is a law or statute in some government agency prohibiting changing an ESN of a phone you LEGALLY OWN. There is no such "ESN changing" law anywhere. Changing the ESN in it self isn't illegal. It's your property you can do what you want with it.

That being said, what you DO WITH IT AFTER you change the ESN could very well be illegal. "Theft of Service to avoid payment of a fee" would be one "illegality" that pops into my mind.

5. FLEMTP

FLEMTP Well-Known Member

thats like changing the VIN on a car.. even though you legally own it.. its still a major felony to change the VIN... a cell phone ESN is the same thing

6. infamousjax

infamousjax Well-Known Member

Wrong. It's illegal to tamper with the ESN. Period.

7. Roadblock

Roadblock Well-Known Member

Now the question is... Do people get in trouble for doing it? Depends why they did it.

I know people who have one phone account with 3 phones "cloned" to that account so they can just use different phones. Still illegal but are they going to go to prison? Probably not.

Most people "swapping ESNs" are doing so to use someone else's account to make phone calls to, for example long distance to another country or commit other fraud without being traced.

If your doing it to use more then one phone on one account (please note don't turn on both at the same time) then your probably safe but yes, it's still illegal if you want to be technical about it.

8. jdjd2020

jdjd2020 New Member This Topic's Starter

Sprint's official policy is that Android phones don't work on Legacy plans.. let that sink in a minute those handsets DONT WORK, ie the technology is not compatable- as if it was GSM vs CDMA or something. So, its not that you can pay an extra fee and activate a Hero, you just can't do it because the technology used in an Android phone is not compatable with ther older plans.

So where is the fee that one would be trying to avoid?? None, because whats actually going on here is that Sprint is (underhandedly) just trying to move its customers off older, inexpensive plans and on to newer, expensive plans- and they're absolutly LYING to their (oldest and most loyal) customers to make that happen. So, who's the one that should be accused of fraud here??

9. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

If they simply said "we aren't allowing new phones on those plans" would that make you feel better? Ignore the stupid CSR's because, like in any other company, they are reading what they are programmed to read by management. I've gone through the same thing with DirecTV and I was one of their T.S. Trainers myself so I knew when i was being "snowed." It's certainly not "fraud" it's the company line.

They simply aren't allowing new phones on those plans. :cool: It's not fraud, it's company policy. Their not extracting money from you under false pretenses (that would be fraud). You're paying for what you have and if you want more or better you have to pay the premium they want. Your option is, if your not satisfied, to go elsewhere or keep what you have and pay the cheap rate. So no, you won't get your EVO on the SERO plan.

10. Trident

Trident VIP Member VIP Member

Hmm.. I believe the FCC's website says something about that:
    (via the FCC)

It also explains how it is considered Fraud which we do not tolerate here.

/Closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.