• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ultimate ascend customization guide.

Tokenpoke

Android Expert
Feb 10, 2011
Miami, FL
www.facebook.com
My goal for this guide is to walk you through everything from rooting to flashing the latest roms for the Huawei Ascend.

all files are the exact ones i used to flash and test all roms and apk here. files will be accredited to their source.

a few things need to be addressed first though.

though the flash process is the same for all roms i am posting full step by step for each to make it easy to flash any given rom with no experience.

I did not make any of these roms or the custom recovery (cwm) or app managing (titanium backup) software. i have however used them to much extent. i also use all the apps i link to.

i found all the info contained here on this forum (and prepaidandroids.net) and want to make the experience easier for the new ascenders.

if you know what you want to do just scroll and look for the big red name of the rom or customization you are looking for, each one will be it's own post, excluding this one as i'm including how to root and remove bloatware after this bit.

i tried to make this as simple as possible, all you should have to do is follow directions as you read them step-by-step.

first things first. grab the stock recovery just in case you need to/want to flash back to stock--------> http://androidforums.com/ascend-all-things-root/282038-how-flash-huawei-ascend-stock.html
have fun and enjoy!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOW TO ROOT YOUR ASCEND
this is necessary if you want to remove bloatware and useful if you have free apps you want to keep after flashing custom roms

Rooting the Ascend is stupid easy download z4 root here -----> z4root.1.3.0.apk

you can do this from your phones stock browser, if you have trouble try skyfire -------> https://market.android.com/details?id=com.skyfire.browser&feature=search_result

BEFORE RUNNING THE APP!
go to the setting in your phone: menu button, tap settings.

go to applications, check "unknown sources" and tap ok.
scroll down to "development" and check "usb debugging" and "allow mock locations"

open the "file manager" app on your phone and look in "downloads" open the z4root.apk and select install.

once it's installed open it and tap "permanent root"

wait till it reboots and now your rooted!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOW TO REMOVE BLOATWARE

first root your phone (see above)

There are a few apps that will let you remove the bloatware (metro and cricket apps) from your phone. the most notable advantage of this is extra memory for other apps but the best reason is the battery metro users will save by getting rid of boingo and metrowifi.

i use titanium backup (i paid for pro)--------> https://market.android.com/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&feature=search_result

once it's downloaded open it and allow su permission. tap the "problems?" button at the bottom of the screen. tap "get BusyBox"

once that's done tap the "backup/restore" tab.

[size5]BACKUP YOUR APPS![/size]

press the phone menu button and select "batch" select "run" next to "backup all user apps"

now to kill the bloat.

to make things easier tap where it says "click to edit filters" and select "system" under filter by type.

apps to delete include:
Mail@metro
Swype
YouTube
Metro 411
Android keyboard
Voice dialer
Myextras
Metro navigator
Boingo wifi
Metropcs easy wifi
Metro web (only if you have another browser)
Mocospace
Pocket express
Uno
Virtual card
Mobile I'm
Loopt
Google skymap

keep any you want, these are just some that i deleted.

cricket bloat includes:
1) UNO
2) Midnight Bowling 2
3) Documents 2 Go
4) MyAccount
5) Storefront (Market does the same thing)
6) Mobile Web (the one with the K over it)
7) Poynt
8) Swype
9) Photobucket
10) Youtube

i don't have cricket so i will expand the list as a ask my chirpy friends to help.

[size6]UPDATE FOR METRO USERS RUNNING STOCK 2.2[/SIZE]
well metro tried to screw us again, my friends.... but we got them good.
they hid some metro apps from most bloat removers so heres what you need to do.

1. download a root explorer (i use a paid app called, well... root expolorer from market)

open root explorer ans seek out the "cust folder
follow it to metropcs>us>apps and delete the ones you dont want (remember to click "mount r/w first!)

INSTALLING CLOCKWORKMOD (CWM)

Download the cwm.zip---------> CWM Recovery.zip (Thanks to Jazzette for this from her icarus 1.1 guide)

make sure usb debugging is turned on (menu button, settings, applications, development, usb debugging)

boot your phone into debug mode (fastboot) press, in order, VOLUME ROCKER DOWN+END (HANG UP)+ POWER. your phone will stay at the huawei screen. attach to pc using usb cord.

open the cwm.zip and extract the files
open the cwm folder
open the following files (you may see the dos box open briefly, this shows it worked all file are labeled according to os, choose for your os)

adb
fastboot
install recovery

unplug your phone from the pc and remove the battery for ten seconds.

boot to cwm VOLUME ROCKER UP+CALL BUTTON+POWER

you should see a black screen with green text. you now have cwm

Upvote 0
HOW TO INSTALL ICARUS1.1

Icarus1.1 (DEVELOPMENT CREDIT FOR ROM GOES TO ISSACJ87 FOR CONTACT INFO ON DEVS PLEASE VISIT THE WIKI Main Page - Prepaid Android

Overview-

icarus1.1 is a stock ROM developed and released by Isaacj87. it is, in essence, a striped down version of the ROM (basically the operating system) that came with your phone. this means there are no known bugs once it is set up.

Features-

Cool Black and green theme

All phone features work

New APP for hands free use. Car home, voice search, voice dial and navigation all in one.

Almost double the speed of the stock rom (2.1-update 1) for the Ascend.

No more Metro PCS startup sound (no sound at all) or logo.

All Bloatware (metro cps stuff, boingo, etc) removed

Comes with an optional launcher (home screen setup [Launcher Pro Free version])

Rooted- this is necessary for some apps such as cache cleaners and Titanium backup (which will be included in the rom package)

A2sd feature allows ALL apps to be moved to your external MicroSD card. this frees up room on your phone and allows you to store up to 1gig of apps, any where from 200 to 300 apps.

EXPERIMENTAL OPTION!!!

Move dalvik cache to sd- free up even more internal memory by moving your dalvic cache to your sd CAUTION!!! DO NOT PULL YOUR SD CARD OUT OF YOUR PHONE!!!!

Installing Icarus

First install ClockworkMod (cwm) from the above post.

download icarus1.1---------> icarusmod-1.1-signed.zip

move the .zip from downloads to the main area of your sd card (if you download from your phone) using file manager.

alternatively you can plug your phone into your pc and move it manually by dragging from the download folder and dropping it in the main area.

backup your contacts to your sd if they are not synched with google.

go to contacts, press the menu button, select "more", select "manage contacts", select "backup to sd" and press ok.

Boot to cwm VOLUME ROCKER UP+CALL BUTTON+POWER

USING THE TRACK BALL

go to backup/restore and select backup.

reboot phone and connect to usb

copy your sd card a folder called "sd backup" for safe keeping.

power off phone and reboot into cwm (VOLUME ROCKER UP+CALL BUTTON+POWER)

use your track ball to select (in order) the following commands

wipe data/ factory reset
wipe cache

advanced

wipe dalvik cache

press the back button (the arrow) on your phone.
under mounts and storage, format following...
boot
data
system
cache

install .zip from sd
chose zip from sd.
choose icarus 1.1.zip

phone will do a bunch of crazy stuff for a few minutes

press back on your phone

select:
advanced,
fix permissions

pull the battery out of your phone and remove the memory card

restart system now.

open market and download titanium backup.

wait for market to update it's self and go green instead of grey.

reinsert your sd card
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fixing mms for metro

open your phone setting and go to "wireless and networks"
select "mobile networks" then "access point names"
ress the menu button and select "new apn"
fill in with the following:

Name: MetroPCS

APN: <Not set>

Proxy: proxy.metropcs.net

Port: 3128

Username: <Not set>

Password: <Not set>

Server: <Not set>

MMSC: http://mms.metropcs.net:3128/mmsc

MMS proxy: <Not set>

MMS port: <Not set>

MCC: 310

MNC; 16

Authentication type: PAP or CHAP

APN type: default,supl,mms

thanks nuttmeg for the original fix post i used.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
setting up a2sd

CAUTION: THIS IS A TAD RISKY, IF YOU LOOSE MARKET YOU WILL NEED TO RESTORE YOUR ROM AS PER THE FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS.

preparing for the a2sd will wipe your card so back it all up as per instructions.

after your first boot into icarus and once market has upgraded turn your phone off and boot into cwm (VOL UP, SEND/CALL, POWER BUTTONS)

scroll down to backup/restore and select "backup"
this will take a couple minutes.

once that is done press the back button on your phone and select "reboot system"

connect your phone to your computer via usb and mount your phone. (pull down the status bar and select the "usb connected" bit and press mount)

copy your sd to the computer in a folder called "phone" or whichever one you may already have.

eject your phone (windows right click and select eject, mac special click and do the same) and power off.

boot cwm again.

scroll to "advanced" and select it

select "partition sd card"

select desired partition size (this is the space you are allowing for the apps to be moved to) 512M is roughly half a gig and 1024M is just under 1gig when in use. i haven't tested past 1024M

set swap size to 0

the phone will do some stuff and eventually it will say partition complete.

press back untill you are at the first screen and select "reboot system now"

once you are booted reconnect to your computer and move the contents of the folder you copied earlier to your now empty (and according to your pc slightly smaller) sd card.

use market to re-download titanium backup and grab "teminal Emulator" by Jack Polvich.

go to your app drawer and open "Terminal"

type the following {space} means press the space bar and {enter maens press the enter button.

su{enter}- a prompt to allow super user permission will appear. press allow
a2sd{space}check{enter}- if you get an error stop and pm me
a2sd{space}zipalign{enter}- stuff happens
a2sd{space}reinstall{enter}- phone may reboot it's self after this. if not then reboot manually (turn phone off and on)

after boot if you have a problem (market and other apps disappearing) restore your backup.

boot cwm
select backup and restore
select restore.

reboot system

run the terminal commands again.

if all is good open titanium backup

you should now see a new bar at the bottom labeled sd(a2sd) with a small amount taken up. this shows that your apps have moved to sd. all apps will now save to the sd partition.

select the backup/restore tab

press menu and select "batch"

find "restore user apps+data" and press run

you are now all done.

Upvote 0
HOW TO INSTALL CYANOGENMOD6 PORT (CM6)

follow directions in first two posts. skip removing bloatware and just backup your apps.

after you do that come back and download these files.

cm6- CRICKET w/adw http://uploading.com/files/get/a865f9e4/cm6-ascend-cricket-04212011.zip/
cm6- CRICKET w/zeam http://uploading.com/files/512743m9/cm6-ascend-cricket-zeam-04212011.zip/

cm6- METROPCS w/adw http://uploading.com/files/58ad1131/cm6-ascend-metropcs-04212011.zip/
cm6- METROPCS w/zeam http://uploading.com/files/b83e8bd9/cm6-ascend-metropcs-zeam-04212011.zip/

google apps- http://goo-inside.me/gapps/latest/6/mdpi/

move the .zip from downloads to the main area of your sd card (if you download from your phone) using file manager.

alternatively you can plug your phone into your pc and move it manually by dragging from the download folder and dropping it in the main area.

go to contacts, press the menu button, select "more", select "manage contacts", select "backup to sd" and press ok.

USING THE TRACK BALL

wipe data/ factory reset
wipe cache

advanced

wipe dalvik cache

boot
data
system
cache

install .zip from sd
chose zip from sd.
choose cm6.zip
choose gapps-cm6.zip

phone will do a bunch of crazy stuff for a few minutes after each .zip is selected

press back on your phone

select:
advanced,
fix permissions

restart system now.

enjoy!

IF YOU ARE ON WINDOWS AND HAVE USB MOUNTING PROBLEMS HERE ARE THE DRIVERS http://www.mediafire.com/?31l1w9gnv6dolkg (THANKS TO ONESUMMER... FORGOT NAME WILL FIX LATER.)

Upvote 0
CyanogenMod7 port (cm7)

READ ME BEFORE DECIDING ON YOUR ROM!!!!!

CyanogenMod7 (CM7) (DEVELOPMENT CREDIT FOR ROM GOES TO ISSACJ87, FOR CONTACT INFO ON DEVS PLEASE VISIT THE WIKI Main Page - Prepaid Android)

Overview- CM7 is a custom port of Android 2.3 Gingerbread. it is not expected for Huawei to EVER release 2.3 for the ascend. CM7 is a work in progress as of today (4-19-2011) and some things are not worked out but will be in the future. future updates for CM& will be free but priority will be placed upon new customers first. i will alert you to any updates via email to set up appointments.

Features-

Brand new Boot screen no more metro pcs stuff.

All Bloatware (metro cps stuff, boingo, etc) removed

3x faster than stock

Option to over clock (speed up) cpu to 710mhz from 600mhz

Stock with 2.3 launcher.

Many User Interface options

Apps2sd move select apps to the sd card to free up phone memory.

Power Control in the drop down status bar (turn on and off at will: wifi,bluetooth,synch,gps. Adjust: screen timeout, brightness, ringer settings. other options available)

Built in task killer (app drawer- menu button- manage apps)

New app- DSPmanager: adjust volume output for louder speaker and earpiece volumes.

New app- Car home: for hands free use. maps, voice search, voice dial and navigation all in one.

New app- Books: read your google e-books

New widget- News and Weather; show the weather for your area and news headlines on your home screen.

Theme Chooser- choose form three themes pre loaded into the rom

Other minor apps and widgets

ADVANCED USER APPS!

Terminal: a terminal emulator. fi you don't know what this is please don't play with it.

RomManager; manage your rooms and clockwork mods. again, if you don't know what this is don't mess with it.

Dev tools: DO NOT PLAY WITH THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Cons (all issues are being worked on expect frequent update notices) :

USB mount doesn't work on MAC (fine on PC)

Some apps will not run on sd card.

install CWM 3.0.0.5 from the app RomManager (free on market)

download these files-

cm7 http://www.mediafire.com/?1svp059s8hgibx7

gapps- http://android.d3xt3r01.tk/cyanogen/gapps/gapps-gb-20110307-signed.zip

USING THE TRACK BALL

wipe data/ factory reset
wipe cache

advanced

wipe dalvik cache

boot
data
system
cache

install .zip from sd
chose zip from sd.
choose cm7.zip
choose gapps-cm7.zip

phone will do a bunch of crazy stuff for a few minutes after each .zip is selected

press back on your phone

select:
mounts and storage,
format sd

press back on your phone

select:
advanced,
fix permissions

restart system now.

METRO USERS ONLY!

after your first boot and setup download the mms fix called metroff and place it in the main area of your sd card.
return to cwm and flash the metroff mms fix
http://techygeek.org/media/MetrOFF-v1.3-MMS-GB-Edify-CM_ASOP-No_Roaming_indicator_Off_signed.zip
flash it simply by selecting "install .zip from sd, choose .zip" and choosing the metroff.zip

IF YOU ARE ON WINDOWS AND HAVE USB MOUNTING PROBLEMS HERE ARE THE DRIVERS http://www.mediafire.com/?31l1w9gnv6dolkg (THANKS TO ONESUMMER... FORGOT NAME WILL FIX LATER.)

OPTIONAL DARKTREMOR A2SD TO REPLACE GB A2SD.

if you wish to move all the apps and widgets on your phone just like with icarus you need to install the DarkTremor a2sd script.
download the file.... http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=htt...d/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta02-signed.zip&h=66faa
and copy it to your sd cards main area where you put the rom, gapps (and if metropcs) metroff.

copy your sd card contents to you pc

unmount and disconnect the phone from the pc.

hold the power button until a menu pops up and select "reboot" then "recovery"

once in recovery mode select "install .zip from sd card

select the DTapps2sd zip

when its installed go back to the main menu of CWM

scroll to and select "mounts and storage"

select "format sd card"

go back to the main CWM menu and select "advanced" then "partition sd card"

i set mine at 512mb with a 32mb swap.

reboot your phone

after boot please look in the Icarus 1.1 section to get a feel for A2SD commands in the terminal emulator. i ran the ones listed there for my set up but have been told that the apps are moved when you flash the .zip. a good way to check is to just peek into Titanium Backup and check memory use.

Upvote 0
USEFUL APPS AND ZIPS

i have a few things you might like after flashing your new rom or just rooting your phone. here ya go!

AndRoot- androotfile.apk -- i don't remember where i got this but it's the file explorer i use to move files and change my boot screens. very simple to use and can even move apps straight to the system>apps section of your phone for force installs. it does not work on icarus1.1

froyo+ rom- Froyo+ 2.zip -- this is neat to play with but it is insanely buggy. a port of the c8500 2.2 rom. it gets uim errors which lock the phone so i don't recommend actually using it, thus why i didn't post the step by step. use at your own risk.

metamorph- http://www.mediafire.com/?dwsuw4czf72y15k --this will make the froyo+ rom fail! this is an app that lets you make custom themes for icarus (i havent tested on the cm mods) i only have one edit for it (i believe i got it from SeptembersRain, the edit i mean)

iMod edit- Imod-EDIT.zip --this is for metamorph, it is a nice little edit of the battery gauge

Android Assistant- https://market.android.com/details?id=com.advancedprocessmanager&feature=search_result --this will clean the cache on non-rooted phones and also has a handy startup manager that has made my cm7 boot only 1:05 minutes long.

GoLauncher EX- https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gau.go.launcherex&feature=search_result -- a nice launcher i use a lot. i also have a guide for it in case you want in-depth info on almost everything it can do---> http://androidforums.com/android-themes/310274-go-launcher-ex-guide.html

more to come....

Upvote 0
ok, i'm 99% done. thank you guys for not flooding me with posts about how it's not complete and thanks for the thanks.

in the future please just press the "thank" button at the bottom of my post.

i will continue updating the apps area and will soon add an over view for cm6.

thanky you Isaacj87, pip2kk, 209pcs, kskull(forgot your numbers), dark tremor and all the people who test the roms for the devs. your work is under appreciated by most but i really admire you and your dedication. thank you.

Upvote 0
i tried a few different onces and that's not my issue. somehow the apk associated with the files I want to remove are no longer there, so they can't be removed. (for example, removing UNO gives me the error)
Are you rooted? You have to be rooted to uninstall system apps. (bloatware)

Upvote 0
try using androot from the last post of the guide and going into system>app and deleting manually.
now i'm getting somewhere. i see a bunch of apk files here. just as an example, can't find the uno.apk or anything like it. i deleted richpad.apk and it has disappeared. I dont know how the other stuff might be named tho

is it possible it is in another location for this phone?

Upvote 0
now i'm getting somewhere. i see a bunch of apk files here. just as an example, can't find the uno.apk or anything like it. i deleted richpad.apk and it has disappeared. I dont know how the other stuff might be named tho

is it possible it is in another location for this phone?

i'll look into that for you tomorrow message me if you get an answer befor i get back to you.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones