Ultimate google thread

1. loveandroid

loveandroid Well-Known Member

I heard rumors that google navigation can now be used offline, like any GPS device( Tom tom, Co-pilot 8, Navigon etc..).
    Is this true? If so it's the end of all the others GPS companies.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rew

Rew Well-Known Member

You can create your own off line maps with this app free on the Market.

OruxMaps
  3. BravoLima

BravoLima Member

Google Maps had a recent update that included Navigation yes, but it is currently in beta form at the moment so don't expect great things just yet. CoPilot on the Desire is a cracking Sat Nav you should try in the meantime tho..
  4. samdale36

samdale36 Well-Known Member

Whilst Google does now include the navigation software in google maps, this does not make the maps available offline.

When you are planning your route you need a data connection/wifi. This will cache your route so technically you do not need data connection to get to your destination. HOWEVER, if you take a wrong turning or leave the route, you need a data connection for it to re-route you as it will only cache the roads needed for the chosen route.

So in summary, maps are not available offline; you do still need a data connection.
  5. loveandroid

loveandroid Well-Known Member

Thats exactly the rumor I heard, that there is a google map offline beta.
    But since no one here(and some here are buddies with google) confirmed it I guess it is just a rumor.
  6. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

How do I at least get navigation on my desire?
    The current version does not support it.. It keeps saying "no route found".

Thanks.
  7. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

Install Google Maps from the Marketplace.
  8. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

Google Maps for Android

This is what I can find but when I scan the barcode, it says that nothing is found in the market. Maybe it's been removed? :confused:
  9. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

I just scanned the QR code (using ShopSavvy) and it took me to google maps in the marketplace just fine.

Why not just open the Market and text search for it if the QR code is not working for you.
  10. BravoLima

BravoLima Member

Or you could just get CoPilot. A very good and in depth sat nav.
  11. Akalatengo

Akalatengo Well-Known Member

Why would anyone pay for Copilot?, google maps are great and getting even better
  12. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

Try as I might, I simply cannot gain access to google maps.
    I tried the barcode scanner, manually searching in the market, and checking for an update..
    Does it depend on location? Why am I unable to update?? :( I really need the navigation!
  13. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

So you can have offline maps.

I would never go on a trip to somewhere 'need' GPS and expect to have data connection all the time.

Offline is a must in that case, as far as I'm concerned. That 1 % of the time data isn't available (or in some cases much more than 1%) is exactly when you will need the GPS. Just ask Murphy.
  14. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

What country are you in?
  15. Akalatengo

I must be blessed because I had my Desire for three months and never letted me down on navigation including when I went for a holiday to the Lake District.

I have used it for Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire and Leicestershire and I'm on Tmobile data.

and on voice navigation
  16. Akalatengo

I have discover that you can turn on mobile data, do your directions search and turn off data for a long time driving or until you do a wrong turn, then, turn mobile data on again and then turn it off again. All this assuming that you want to save mobile data of course

Google maps for android and Ovi maps for Nokia are the way forward and this is just the beginning.
  17. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

I'm in Dubai, UAE.
  18. Akalatengo

19. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

Or a proper sat nav ;)
  20. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

Is there a free alternative? Preferably with offline map download?
  21. mikeh

mikeh Active Member

I found Google Maps Navigation to be terrible on my recent trip from Portsmouth to London, and then back down to Lymington.

The instructions were terrible, those that you could understand in the synthesised voice, that is. Some how instead of sending me to London Zoo it sent me to a caf
  22. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

Just out of interest, how much is the TomTom software for the iPhone?
  23. mikeh

mikeh Active Member

Around
  24. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

That's why. It's UK & US only for now
  25. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

:( That sucks.

Thanks anyway.