• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ultimate Performance & Battery Life

if anyone needed proof that using setcpu to clock down while the screen is off saves battery, here it is for you...

i just flashed king #3 last night. right before going to bed, i turned the phone off and charged til the led went green. then i wiped the battery stats, took it off the charger, and went to bed (so obviously, i was at 100% battery). this was at a little after 3:30am (3:37am is what battery indicator told me)...

woke up this morning around 11am, maybe a little after. battery remaining: 96%.

...and i'm not even clocking it down as far as ChiTownJim. my screen off profile is set at 499 max.

Upvote 0
ChiTwon, what kind of voodoo are you doing to get "unrevoked" showing up? Seems the numbers are nice to have, since less obvious if sending in form repairs ;)

Hmm weird it doesn't show anymore now it's showing

3.17.605.0 cl220374 release-keys

I do remember it saying Unrevoked forawhile not sure why . I've flashed about 5 roms and a few diffrent Kernals and updated my radio since that snap was taken last week.

Upvote 0
When is the best time to wipe batt stats? and is there any risk in doing so?

i've seen a few different ways people recommend to do it...some people say charge to 100% (and i mean full 100%, i.e. turn the phone off and wait til green) then do it. others say run it almost all the way out, then wipe, then charge fully...

the two times i've done it i've charged first, then wiped. ymmv. today i'm trying to run the battery all the way out, to see if that also helps (that's why i took it off the charger as soon as i knew it was full and the battery stats were cleared).

Upvote 0
OK, thank you. May I ask why you use Hydra Kernel #3, I use Hydra Kernel #1. Is #3 better in most cases, or do I just need to experiment?

Also, for SetCPU, what do you guys use for "scaling" and "set on boot"? Thanks! :)

I use #3 because 1 and 2 weren't stable for me. Kept getting bootloops. Every phone is going to react differently to different kernels. I'll have to try the #1 again

Upvote 0
Anyone else not show "unrevoked" for build number?

This is what mine says
mysettings.png

Upvote 0
Not sure what that does either. Nor do I know what the "performance, onboard" etc means.

set on boot runs setcpu at boot time so that your profiles and overclocking is followed...if it's not set, you'd go back to stock on reboot and have to run setcpu manually.

at least, that's the way i interpret it...

SetCPU for Root Users

Upvote 0
Alright cool.

Do you guys check the "set on boot" on the first screen in SetCPU. I am not sure exactly what that does and if I need to check it. Thanks.

I went here: SetCPU for Root Users

EDIT: Didn't see it was already posted.

On a side note, I've gotten 9 hours off the charger today and I'm still at 63%. Moderate usage but by far the best so far. Also SetCPU profiles seem to help.

Upvote 0
I did some quick testing to see what checking the "set on boot" box on the first screen did. Basically, it saves anything on that first screen that you change, so that when you reboot, it is the same. But if you are like me, and only change the profiles, then you do not need to check this. Hope that helps! :)

Upvote 0
How do you set to 768? 528 is the highest choice I have. Running KingxKernel with setcpu. I get 1377 which is still higher than Nexus One 2.2 but should I be able to make my settings the same as yours? New to setcpu.

You need to have it chose your device settings sounds like it's not right . You might need to manual select it then

Reactions: johnbrain
Upvote 0
i have rooted DI with skyraider 2.5 and radio 2.05, and last night i tried installing kernel pretty much i tired installing all 4 diff type and i was not able to do it. everytime the phone reboot right after the droid eye anamation the phone will reboot automatic. i was not able to get into my phone at all. is this problem becuase of having SETCPU already installed or becuase of my radio not being 2.15? can anyone help please

thank you

Upvote 0
i have rooted DI with skyraider 2.5 and radio 2.05, and last night i tried installing kernel pretty much i tired installing all 4 diff type and i was not able to do it. everytime the phone reboot right after the droid eye anamation the phone will reboot automatic. i was not able to get into my phone at all. is this problem becuase of having SETCPU already installed or becuase of my radio not being 2.15? can anyone help please

thank you

Yeah I dont have set on boot checked because if I accidently clock it to the max my phone will sometimes lock up and restart and can go into a boot loop (no fun) . I always end up getting in and as soon as UI loads I'll get into set cpu and underclock before it has a chance to freeze up again. 1.19ghz is just more then my phone can handle I find that 1.113 is perfect

Upvote 0
2 days ago I got 15 hours out of my battery with the King kernel #3 and using setCPU profiles. The next morning I charged it fully then reset the batt stats. Now my battery life is awful compared to the night before and even compared to the stock kernel without setCPU. Any thoughts?

I've done the same thing with the new BFS #1 kernel and my battery life is not really looking good right now when I'm actively using the phone. however, It still drops very little with the screen off. I'm going to run my battery all the way through one whole cycle so that the phone has a chance to fully repopulate the battery stats. I have a feeling the readings I'm getting right now are not fully accurate and a full cycle down will solve that.

Upvote 0
I applied these settings to Kings new BFS kernel with one change. Instead of on-demand, I'm using interactive. My phone flies now. Upper 1500s on every quadrant test I've run. Battery life seems really good even while actively using the phone. Need to give it a couple days of normal use before I make a final decision, but things are looking good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones