Ultraviolet Digital Copy MoviesSupport

Last Updated:

1. ChiefIlliniwek5

ChiefIlliniwek5 Well-Known Member

I bought the newest Harry Potter movie and it came with the code to a UltraViolet digital copy which is capable of playing through the Movies (Flixster) app. I downloaded the movie to my phone with the app and when I try to play it through the app all I get is a never-ending loading circle and the word "Initializing". It never loads the movie and the app just hangs.

Has anyone else tried using UltraViolet digital copies on their Bionic?

P.S. I did post this on the general apps forum, but no one replied so I'm hoping to get some love from the wonderful folks in Bionic world ;)

Advertisement
  2. sid6871

sid6871 New Member

Same situation exactly here as well. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated
  3. murth

murth Well-Known Member

same for me, i just assumed it was because i was rooted.
  4. ErisDroid?

ErisDroid? Well-Known Member

What kind of file is it? You may need a different video player. I'd try VLC direct, this seems to play all types of video's.
  5. ChiefIlliniwek5

I just downloaded the update to the Movie app and now it gives you the message that it will not run your digital copy movies on rooted phones. The same is true for the PocketBlu app which is another digital copy service that is being used now for phones.

This is a bunch of b.s.......does anyone know of a work around and still keep root? I've discussed this issue on this board before when I found out about PocketBlu keeping me from watching my movies and someone expressed concern that a new precedent may be started by these apps in which more apps will become "anti-root" and not run on rooted phones.
  6. WaltA

WaltA Member

That sucks. :mad:
  7. Jeffery

Jeffery Well-Known Member

I understand they are trying to stop you from pirating movies with a rooted phone, but doesn't it promote piracy in a way by not giving you the opportunity to pay to watch a movie!
  8. ChiefIlliniwek5

Agreed. This may be due to the fact that I am not in the business of pirating movies, but I don't even know how having root will let you make illegal copies of the movies. The movies themselves are attached to accounts (whether it be UltraViolet or PocketBlu) just like iTunes movies are. Im not an expert on that stuff so maybe there is a way to do that if you have root, but I havent seen too many posts or threads about that issue so I assume its not a well-known practice thereby making this whole "no movies if youre phone is rooted" a bunch of bs
  9. Nuar

Nuar Well-Known Member

QQ Player?
  10. chriv

chriv New Member

I have the same problem. OTA Rootkeeper temp unroot does not solve it. This makes three (3) movie apps that won't work on rooted phones:

* Google Videos (solve by using hacked version)
    * PocketBlu (solve by temp unroot)
    * Flixster/UltraViolet (unknown solution)

I'm pissed. Root users should not be treated as second-class citizens.:mad:
  11. p8ntballah21

p8ntballah21 Well-Known Member

If anything not allowing digital copies to play on rooted phones ENCOURAGES piracy. Because if I cant play my digital copy through on of these apps, what am I going to do? I am going to go online and download it for free.
  12. tech_head

tech_head Active Member

Same issue on my Razr.
    UV won't work on a rooted device.
    Okay, I'll rip the DVD and go back to doing what I was doing before to play "my purchased" content on "my" device. At least with iTunes, I could play it on my computers and such without some extra app.

"Digital Copy" no longer means Windows DRM or iTunes. It means crapware.
  13. ViperGeek

ViperGeek Member

I just confirmed that Voodoo OTA RootKeeper works for:

Flixster's UltraViolet and Blockbuster (HTC/Verizon) on both my HTC Incredible 2 and ASUS Eee Pad Transformer.

Did you try killing Movies on your phone before unrooting and trying to play the movie? It's possible that, if the Movies app is still in memory before running OTA RootKeeper, it "remembers" you were rooted.

- Dave
  14. saminbama

saminbama Active Member

I have better luck with Temp Root Remover by ZachsAndroidApps