• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ultraviolet Digital Copy Movies

I bought the newest Harry Potter movie and it came with the code to a UltraViolet digital copy which is capable of playing through the Movies (Flixster) app. I downloaded the movie to my phone with the app and when I try to play it through the app all I get is a never-ending loading circle and the word "Initializing". It never loads the movie and the app just hangs.

Has anyone else tried using UltraViolet digital copies on their Bionic?

P.S. I did post this on the general apps forum, but no one replied so I'm hoping to get some love from the wonderful folks in Bionic world ;)

I just downloaded the update to the Movie app and now it gives you the message that it will not run your digital copy movies on rooted phones. The same is true for the PocketBlu app which is another digital copy service that is being used now for phones.

This is a bunch of b.s.......does anyone know of a work around and still keep root? I've discussed this issue on this board before when I found out about PocketBlu keeping me from watching my movies and someone expressed concern that a new precedent may be started by these apps in which more apps will become "anti-root" and not run on rooted phones.

Upvote 0
Agreed. This may be due to the fact that I am not in the business of pirating movies, but I don't even know how having root will let you make illegal copies of the movies. The movies themselves are attached to accounts (whether it be UltraViolet or PocketBlu) just like iTunes movies are. Im not an expert on that stuff so maybe there is a way to do that if you have root, but I havent seen too many posts or threads about that issue so I assume its not a well-known practice thereby making this whole "no movies if youre phone is rooted" a bunch of bs

Upvote 0
I just confirmed that Voodoo OTA RootKeeper works for:

Flixster's UltraViolet and Blockbuster (HTC/Verizon) on both my HTC Incredible 2 and ASUS Eee Pad Transformer.

Did you try killing Movies on your phone before unrooting and trying to play the movie? It's possible that, if the Movies app is still in memory before running OTA RootKeeper, it "remembers" you were rooted.

- Dave

Upvote 0
I have better luck with Temp Root Remover by ZachsAndroidApps

I just confirmed that Voodoo OTA RootKeeper works for:

Flixster's UltraViolet and Blockbuster (HTC/Verizon) on both my HTC Incredible 2 and ASUS Eee Pad Transformer.

Did you try killing Movies on your phone before unrooting and trying to play the movie? It's possible that, if the Movies app is still in memory before running OTA RootKeeper, it "remembers" you were rooted.

- Dave

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones